Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want our coverage back...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Seriously lads. Ireland vs Canada. Who gives a ****?

blueser wrote: »
    And once again, the powers that be in RTE decide to cut short the post match analysis of one of Ireland's greatest away wins in a world cup qualifier, shunting it onto the RTE player in order to go to coverage of the egg chasers' friendly international against Canada. Canada, FFS.

Funny, I went to put in rte player for the rugby, and there's a dedicated extended stream celebrating the football win.....

It's even the first thing you see when you turn on the player. Anything for a moan, aye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Looks like a solid attendance at Landsdowne Road, so clearly a lot of people.

EDIT: actually sold out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Basil3 wrote: »
    Funny, I went to put in rte player for the rugby, and there's a dedicated extended stream celebrating the football win.....

It's even the first thing you see when you turn on the player. Anything for a moan, aye?
    When you have risible broadband speed, streams are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. So, no; it's not a moan, it's a valid complaint.

Aye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I ended up watching the Ireland game on Sky,cannot abide listening to Jim Beglin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Largely just an excuse to mention 'Chicago' and 'last week' about seventy million times so far.

When you have risible broadband speed, streams are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. So, no; it's not a moan, it's a valid complaint.

Aye?

Under the circumstances, I'd say it's the best they could do.

Aye?

Under the circumstances, I'd say it's the best they could do.

Aye?
    So, you acknowledge that the RTE player is not a reasonable alternative for those of us not in fibre land then?
    As for the coverage, they could have cut the pre match guff before the egg chasing. Or use the RTE news channel, or the +1 station to provide post match coverage for tonight. We're talking about maybe an hour of post match coverage. There are ways and means, if RTE wanted to do it. Also, the lack of a "red button" service really comes to the fore in circumstances like this. Sky, the BBC and ITV have had such a service for years. As has been said on here though, RTE seem more rugger friendly than for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So, you acknowledge that the RTE player is not a reasonable alternative for those of us not in fibre land then?
    As for the coverage, they could have cut the pre match guff before the egg chasing. Or use the RTE news channel, or the +1 station to provide post match coverage for tonight. We're talking about maybe an hour of post match coverage. There are ways and means, if RTE wanted to do it. Also, the lack of a "red button" service really comes to the fore in circumstances like this. Sky, the BBC and ITV have had such a service for years. As has been said on here though, RTE seem more rugger friendly than for football.

They did cut the prematch stuff. There was only ten minutes for the rugby and an hour for the football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Ireland qualify automatically for the rugby world cup every four years, always have two minnows in the group stage to hammer but have still failed to get past the quarter final stage.

despite winning triple crowns (yawn) and six nations titles, as well as regularly beating the southern hemisphere teams in november games

now that is under-achievement in a major tournament!
    They don't automatically qualify. The Rugby World Cup itself acts as a qualifying tournament for the next RWC. Top three teams in each group now qualify for the next world cup.
    Ireland had to participate in a qualifying group for the 2003 world cup because of their performance in the previous one.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, I just can't you seriously when you refer to the rugby as 'egg chasing'. It's just childish.

There were two live sporting events back-to-back. It was always going to be the case that they had to cross over to the other. I don't know of any case where a live football match was delayed for post match reaction of a rugby match.

As you say, it's unfair on those people who can't get basic broadband or a 3g phone signal. I don't know what percentage of the population this is.

I'm sorry, I just can't you seriously when you refer to the rugby as 'egg chasing'. It's just childish.

There were two live sporting events back-to-back. It was always going to be the case that they had to cross over to the other. I don't know of any case where a live football match was delayed for post match reaction of a rugby match.

As you say, it's unfair on those people who can't get basic broadband or a 3g phone signal. I don't know what percentage of the population this is.
    Does say a lot about them when someone calls sports "eggchasing", "stick fighting" and "bogball" for example. Usually the same people who get pissy when people call football soccer.

They effectively automatically qualify because the 4th and 5th teams in the group now are always really really ****e.
    But they still have to qualify?
    If they had to participate in further qualifying, they'd be playing the exact same teams to qualify so why are people complaining?

You missed my point about RTE using one of their digital channels to provide post match coverage. How many people are glued to the News channel, or to the +1 station. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to switch coverage over. It's not like we're not paying enough for the service RTE provides. Also, if the Rugby side (better?) were playing someone like France, or Wales, or Australia, it'd would be less annoying. But Canada? Yes, the fanatics will watch it (the attendance tonight proves that) but, for a neutral, it hardly promises for a great contest. Now, we could be here all night and not agree. So, I'll leave it there.

You missed my point about RTE using one of their digital channels to provide post match coverage. How many people are glued to the News channel, or to the +1 station. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to switch coverage over. It's not like we're not paying enough for the service RTE provides. Also, if the Rugby side (better?) were playing someone like France, or Wales, or Australia, it'd would be less annoying. But Canada? Yes, the fanatics will watch it (the attendance tonight proves that) but, for a neutral, it hardly promises for a great contest. Now, we could be here all night and not agree. So, I'll leave it there.

If you're talking about RTE being absolute sh*te, and completely unworthy of a TV licence fee, then we're in full agreement ;)

Does say a lot about them when someone calls sports "eggchasing", "stick fighting" and "bogball" for example. Usually the same people who get pissy when people call football soccer.
    I don't give a flying whatever if people choose to refer to gaelic football and hurling by the terms you use. I'm assuming hurling is "stick fighting", yeah? As for your last example, I suppose that, technically, soccer would be used to differentiate between association football and, for example, gaelic football. Or rugby football. Or American football. Or Aussie rules football. Or any other version of "football" you can think of. I certainly wouldn't get "pissy" (your term) about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The unusual 7.15 ko time of the rugby match was a big part of the problem.
    7.30 would have been much better both for RTE and for fans looking to see the soccer in the Lansdowne area before heading to the rugby.

The unusual 7.15 ko time of the rugby match was a big part of the problem.
    7.30 would have been much better both for RTE and for fans looking to see the soccer in the Lansdowne area before heading to the rugby.
    Why was it not played in the afternoon? There wasn't anything for it clash with, AFAIAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jesus, it is not the end of the world! You won't be learning anything new from 20 minutes more of Dunphy saying the same cliches and Duff (as much as I like him) gurning out a wikipedia of facts.

I like the post match coverage, don't get me wrong but tbh, half the time I semi drift off listening to it.

Anyway, there is a WC highlights show on later on RTE 2 and I can guarantee you at least 35 minutes will, between match highlights and analysis, will be dedicated to our match.

• Advertisement

Jesus, it is not the end of the world! You won't be learning anything new from 20 minutes more of Dunphy saying the same cliches and Duff (as much as I like him) gurning out a wikipedia of facts.

I like the post match coverage, don't get me wrong but tbh, half the time I semi drift off listening to it.

Anyway, there is a WC highlights show on later on RTE 2 and I can guarantee you at least 35 minutes will, between match highlights and analysis, will be dedicated to our match.

Why was it not played in the afternoon? There wasn't anything for it clash with, AFAIAA.

As it was, I was flicking between 3 different autumn internationals that clashed this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm not gonna get involved too much here but I did just go to the sports section of the rte website/app and found the Canada game is the top story.

I know it was slightly more recent but KT absolutely pales in comparison to the importance and possible significance of what happened in Vienna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

noodler wrote: »
    I'm not gonna get involved too much here but I did just go to the sports section of the rte website/app and found the Canada game is the top story.

I know it was slightly more recent but KT absolutely pales in comparison to the importance and possible significance of what happened in Vienna.

That's your opinion. Later this qualifying campaign we'll have many many headlines devoted to Ireland V Wales.

In soccer we're struggling to barely qualify for major Tournaments. With rugby, we're competing to win tournaments and expect to beat the best teams in the world.

The media will always back the team that attracts hype. Ireland soccer did well today, but that doesn't take away from the accomplishments of our rugby team hoping to complete a clean sweep of the autumn series and develop the next generation of Irish rugby internationals

Akrasia wrote: »
    That's your opinion. Later this qualifying campaign we'll have many many headlines devoted to Ireland V Wales.

In soccer we're struggling to barely qualify for major Tournaments. With rugby, we're competing to win tournaments and expect to beat the best teams in the world.

The media will always back the team that attracts hype. Ireland soccer did well today, but that doesn't take away from the accomplishments of our rugby team hoping to complete a clean sweep of the autumn series and develop the next generation of Irish rugby internationals

It's not my.opinion.

It isn't subjective.

The Austria win was far, far, far, far more.important than beating minnows Canada.in a warm up with our B team.

I'm all for "let everyone have their opinion" but let's get fcuking real about this.

• Advertisement

Rte sport website has football as top story for me, same for rte player.

Rte sport website has football as top story for me, same for rte player.

In fairness, when the guy wrote that post they had the Rugby as the headline for half an hour, just to clarify this. Since been reverted to soccer.

No biggy!!!

In fairness, when the guy wrote that post they had the Rugby as the headline for half an hour, just to clarify this. Since been reverted to soccer.

No biggy!!!

Absolutely!

Just about to post that they changed it back, I was going to say maybe RTE are reading...but as you say maybe having the Rugby top was only temporary.

The soccer achievement today FAR outweighs today's home win over a very low ranked Rugby team in a test match. FAR.

Not that I care whether Ryle Nugent will always give Rugby more coverage given his roots.

It's not my.opinion.

It isn't subjective.

The Austria win was far, far, far, far more.important than beating minnows Canada.in a warm up with our B team.

I'm all for "let everyone have their opinion" but let's get fcuking real about this.
    It was more significant in soccer terms, but not necessarily more significant in terms of Irish sporting achievement.

Ireland might qualify for the world cup in 2 years, but we ain't winning ir. On the other hand, Ireland will qualify for the rugby world cup and will probably be in the top seeds.

Not to mention the fact that we'll probably host the rugby world cup in 7 years time.

• Advertisement

It was more significant in soccer terms, but not necessarily more significant in terms of Irish sporting achievement.

Ireland might qualify for the world cup in 2 years, but we ain't winning ir. On the other hand, Ireland will qualify for the rugby world cup and will probably be in the top seeds.

Is that the way we measure significance now?
    By that extension the compromise rules gaa/afl hybrid thing against Australia must be the most significant as we win it 50% of the time.

Not to mention the fact that we'll probably host the rugby world cup in 7 years time.

Yes, it was. A vital win in a WC qualifying group versus a Test match against minnows of rugby which has ZERO bearing on qualifying for the RWC and the barest % of an impact on seeding.

International Rugby and International soccer are not on a par in terms of structure, competitive wise.

Todays game was an inevitable win whilst the game in Vienna was a historic and vital and unexpected win.

Seriously, are we really comparing these, let alone arguing the rugby game was more significant, let alone a better achievement! Get real!

None of that makes sense.

I'm not sure where to begin as a lot of it is also irrelevant but here goes:

Ireland won't win the rugby world cup.

Beating Canada has practically fcuk all to do with qualifying for it or even qualifying as top seeds.

How this game is somehow related to "possibly" hosting the world cup is tenuous in the extreme.

It was a "more significant Irish sporting achievement". It just was.

Because we are one of them?

I mean, let's face it, about 8 countries play it at a decent level. And we're one of the 8. It's hardly a shock that we're competing. The shock is that we've never actually got beyond the last 8 in competition. Even Scotland has got beyond that stage, Argentina a few times. Our record in the Rugby WC is a brilliant exercise in failure.

Because we are one of them?

I mean, let's face it, about 8 countries play it at a decent level. And we're one of the 8. It's hardly a shock that we're competing. The shock is that we've never actually got beyond the last 8 in competition. Even Scotland has got beyond that stage, Argentina a few times. Our record in the Rugby WC is a brilliant exercise in failure.

How many countries have won the world cup.?

How many countries have won the world cup.?

Thanks for the stats, what is your point. Are you saying rugby is more competitive a sport??

Thanks for the stats, what is your point. Are you saying rugby is more competitive a sport??

It's equally as competitive.

If not more so. 200 countries fighting for qualification and only 8 teams ever winning means the vast majority are just making up the numbers

If not more so. 200 countries fighting for qualification and only 8 teams ever winning means the vast majority are just making up the numbers

Presumably reaching the semi-finals out of 200 countries isn't just 'making up the numbers'.
    How many different semi-finalists have there been vis a vis the 'equally competitive' rugby world cup over say the last 8 renewals of each.

Tbh I'm fed up with qualification being seen as a victory followed by limping out in the group stages of the actual tournament

If Canada losing to Ireland in rugby is a nothing game to you, then Ireland losing to Serbia should be a nothing game to them.

Tbh I'm fed up with qualification being seen as a victory followed by limping out in the group stages of the actual tournament

If Canada losing to Ireland in rugby is a nothing game to you, then Ireland losing to Serbia should be a nothing game to them.

As opposed to being fed up of finishing second or occasionally first (even third!) in a group where you are the top 2 seeds and then crashing out in a quarter final every tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Full house for a friendly between Canada and Ireland's 2nd string with 8 debutants. You wouldn't be able to give tickets away for that if it was the soccer team.

The standard of Irish soccer is poor at the moment and the future doesn't look too bright either. No amount of PR coverage is going to hide that. Rugby is much easier to sell because there is genuinely world class home grown talent playing for Irish teams in Ireland.

In rugby it's the players who can't make it at an Irish team who end up going abroad. It's understandable that there would be far more interest in seeing guys like Gary Ringrose and Jack O'Donohoe make their debuts than the next Paul Butler or Jon Goodman.

Great win for the soccer team tonight but the game was awful and they looked as bad as the level they generally play at for their clubs. It's a hard sell even when they're winning.

You are on crack.

Not the point of the last few posts which was reflecting on the bigger achievement in the respective games. To say winning what was a gimme game in a home November international against relatively rugby minnows was a bigger achievement than a historic away win against one of our WC qualifying rivals in the most popular sport in the world is silly season talk.

Think this is right.
    Semi Finalists in last 8 RWCs.
    New Zealand (6 times)
    Australia (6)
    France (6)
    England (5)
    South Africa (4)
    Argentina (2)
    Wales (2)
    Scotland

Semi Finalists in last 8 soccer World Cups.
    Germany (6 times)
    Brazil (4)
    Netherlands(3)
    Argentina (3)
    Italy (3)
    France (3)
    Uruguay
    Spain
    Portugal
    Korea
    Turkey
    Croatia
    Bulgaria
    Sweden
    England

Remember folks, both sports are equally competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Even if Ireland had no national soccer team or domestic league there'd be much the same level of public interest and media coverage of the sport in Ireland whereas rugby lives and dies by the health of the game domestically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Korat wrote: »
    Full house for a friendly between Canada and Ireland's 2nd string with 8 debutants. You wouldn't be able to give tickets away for that if it was the soccer team.

The standard of Irish soccer is poor at the moment and the future doesn't look too bright either. No amount of PR coverage is going to hide that. Rugby is much easier to sell because there is genuinely world class home grown talent playing for Irish teams in Ireland.

In rugby it's the players who can't make it at an Irish team who end up going abroad. It's understandable that there would be far more interest in seeing guys like Gary Ringrose and Jack O'Donohoe make their debuts than the next Paul Butler or Jon Goodman.

Great win for the soccer team tonight but the game was awful and they looked as bad as the level they generally play at for their clubs. It's a hard sell even when they're winning.

The standard of Irish soccer is poor??????

Dundalk second in Group D of the Europa League playing great football and defying the odds.
    Republic of Ireland top of their World Cup Group fighting hard if not always playing great football
    We are a small nation, instead of this 'my car is bigger than yours' we should embrace and celebrate every Irish achievement that beats the odds such as beating the All Blacks for the first time, beating Austria in Vienna and Dundalks outstanding achievements first in the Champions League and now in the Europa League. We are stronger together!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ireland have got out of the group stages in 4 of the 6 tournaments we qualified for and one of ones we failed to get out of group stages of was an 8 team tournament where the 2 finalists and England were in our group.Our record in tournaments is actually quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Ireland qualify automatically for the rugby world cup every four years, always have two minnows in the group stage to hammer but have still failed to get past the quarter final stage.

despite winning triple crowns (yawn) and six nations titles, as well as regularly beating the southern hemisphere teams in november games

now that is under-achievement in a major tournament!

Not true. If you don't do well in previous tournaments you have to qualify. Ireland had to 'qualify' in the not too distant past for a World Cup.

Winning test games, be that autumn, summer, 6 Nations or what have you, it all matters for rankings. 2 years before a world cup they make the cut which matters.

None of that makes sense.

I'm not sure where to begin as a lot of it is also irrelevant but here goes:

Ireland won't win the rugby world cup.

Beating Canada has practically fcuk all to do with qualifying for it or even qualifying as top seeds.

How this game is somehow related to "possibly" hosting the world cup is tenuous in the extreme.

It was a "more significant Irish sporting achievement". It just was.

Autumn series always has 1 game against a tier 2 nation. It helps them get better and gives Ireland a chance to blood new players. Great crowd there this evening and a great win...

As for media being biased for one over the other. I don't see it really to be honest. Off the Ball has big segments for both sports. RTE try to compete as best they can for rights to both code's big games. They can't compete with Sky and BT any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

World class indeed, but in a very relative way to the sport it's classified in. There's much more 'top' teams in football than there is in rugby, and I don't hold no grudge against rugby, but if you're gonna bash football and in particular irish football you need to not make direct comparisons when they don't apply....like at all.
    Even if Ireland had no national soccer team or domestic league there'd be much the same level of public interest and media coverage of the sport in Ireland whereas rugby lives and dies by the health of the game domestically.

Domestically you say, as in Shannon, Cork Con etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Corholio wrote: »
    World class indeed, but in a very relative way to the sport it's classified in. There's much more 'top' teams in football than there is in rugby, and I don't hold no grudge against rugby, but if you're gonna bash football and in particular irish football you need to not make direct comparisons when they don't apply....like at all.

One sport has been professional for 21 years, the other for well over 100 years... I agree that it's chalk and cheese comparison!

Rugby is still a developing sport in many nations, but the smaller nations are getting better. That's better for the sport overall.

Advertisement