Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neil challenge 2017

Options
  • 11-11-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

The Art O'Neil challenge 2017 registration is closed and entrants have been notified. I'm very lucky and grateful to have obtained a place. It's limited to 200 and oversubscribed each year.

It's an extremely well organized event. The Dublin & Wicklow Mountain rescue team are managing it this year. It's the best event of the year in my opinion.

Best of luck to all who obtained a place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Had hoped to get in but no luck unfortunately,700 applicants,big demand event. Not hopeful of the waiting list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Unsuccessful here too.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Didn't get in either. Fingers crossed for the second selection, although I don't think there will be many more places freed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

Got offered a spot under the Trek option so looking forward to it now. Will be my first AONC.

I've been trying to source a decent quality map online but most of them seem to be out of date or are just route overviews, anyone who has done it previously know when they'll issue an updated route map?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

I've been trying to source a decent quality map online but most of them seem to be out of date or are just route overviews, anyone who has done it previously know when they'll issue an updated route map?
    I've ordered this map as it was mentioned on the IMRA forums that it's used by the guides and apparently it has more details (small tracks etc.) on it than the OSI maps
    http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/product/wicklow-mountains-west-test-2/

Disclaimer: I haven't seen either maps yet so can't say which is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Gutted didn't get in this year but what can you do....best of luck to everyone doing it.
    Dropped to minus 6 last January so layer up.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I did AON 2 years ago. It was a clear dry night, so visibility was excellent and navigation was therefore very straight forward.
    Start to CP1 is on road/trails, so just follow the markers.
    CP1 to Billy Byrne's gap is easy to navigate, just aim high between gap and mullachcleevaun. That would put you in better position to find entrance into the wood once on the other side. ( i went to low, hence had to climb back up to get the wood entrance).
    Depending on your pace (from memory, took me 3h to CP1 and 3hours from CP1 to CP2) , dawn should set close to CP2 and you get a second life! But fatigue neverthelss makes decision making a bit more challenging, especially passed AON cross as there is not much to use as ref point.

OSI Discovery Series 1:50000 #56 is all you need, and recee from CP1 to Glenmalure is probably more important than latest and greatest maps.

A superb challenge...

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

911sc wrote: »
    I did AON 2 years ago. It was a clear dry night, so visibility was excellent and navigation was therefore very straight forward.
    Start to CP1 is on road/trails, so just follow the markers.
    CP1 to Billy Byrne's gap is easy to navigate, just aim high between gap and mullachcleevaun. That would put you in better position to find entrance into the wood once on the other side. ( i went to low, hence had to climb back up to get the wood entrance).
    Depending on your pace (from memory, took me 3h to CP1 and 3hours from CP1 to CP2) , dawn should set close to CP2 and you get a second life! But fatigue neverthelss makes decision making a bit more challenging, especially passed AON cross as there is not much to use as ref point.

OSI Discovery Series 1:50000 #56 is all you need, and recee from CP1 to Glenmalure is probably more important than latest and greatest maps.

A superb challenge...

Best of luck.

Word of caution. CP1 to Billy Byrne Gap can be extremely difficult. If there is no visibility, you won't find it without a map and compass. It's only easy to Nav if you can see it and that's very rare during AON.

Really worth going up during day to see the lay of the land and then again at night to see how challenging it can be.

Experienced people have ended up on wrong side of Mullach or heading to Black hill.

Race starts an hour early too, 1am, so dawn will be break much later in the race.

That said, i think there's a full moon in night of race so will make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Djoucer wrote: »
    Race starts an hour early too, 1am, so dawn will be break much later in the race.

There were 3 starts in 2014 :
    12 for the walkers
    1am for hybrid
    2am for runners

Is that change?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

911sc wrote: »
    There were 3 starts in 2014 :
    12 for the walkers
    1am for hybrid
    2am for runners

Is that change?

Looks like in 2016 hybrid and runners started at 1am.. no harm. Reg at 11 and hanging around to 2am was a pain

• Advertisement

Yeah hybrid and runners now leave at 1am. Walkers at midnight.

Worked well last year with plenty of company on roads and less hanging around.

Meant a lot more people were leaving CP2 still in the dark and vast majority of people were over Billy Byrne without any light.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Other small private groups organise themselves and do it in January also. My own walkers group did a 43k training hike yesterday for our own AON. You can still do it also if you organise yourselves too.

AON '16 (1).jpg

Up at cp1 this morning with a friend who got a place... I ended up dragging us miles off course, maybe navigating in daylight is harder :)

Use a GPS. Problem solved. ;)

Gravale wrote: »
    Use a GPS. Problem solved. ;)

Had the route loaded on my watch and everything... but was 'testing' my skills, it was a failed test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

mloc123 wrote: »
    Had the route loaded on my watch and everything... but was 'testing' my skills, it was a failed test :)

Would you be able tell me where you got the route from? i see on the website the link for the GPX file but it doesn't work when i click on it.

If only it were as easy as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ga2QlFOOp4

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    Would you be able tell me where you got the route from? i see on the website the link for the GPX file but it doesn't work when i click on it.

Here's the GPX file I use myself:
    AON '17.gpx

• Registered Users Posts: 27 glasshopper

HI Folks
    i'm an AON noob. Yes, I got in :-)
    I tried recce a section today and thought it was a good idea to try Ballinagee bridge to Ballynultagh and back with a little daylight to start with - got as far as Billy o Byrnes Gap before the lights had to go on. I was never around there before and missed the forest trail to Ballynultagh. I found a track skirting the side of the forest and popped out on the road near the col at Sorrell / Black hill. on the way back i was surprised how far it was (or how long it took me) to roll over the gap. The bearing is generally south and if you remember the shape or the terrain youll be fine. I was surprised I found the trail and intended not to hit the forest below the road. I stayed high and hit the forest near the top so it was easy to drop down and find it. all in all it was a revalation - tough. hard going swampy knarly stuff. I need motivation to recce the oakwood to Glenmalure section. Any spare motivation anyone?

Did you get your motivation, Grasshopper?

• Advertisement

Walking Ballynultagh to Ballinagee and back at 5am on Saturday.

Not sure about the motivation levels, but the conscience has me thinking of a Ballinagee to Arts cross or lakes recce Saturday eve. kids soccer and rugby taxi duty early Saturday and Sunday cycle ties up the schedule.
    If all goes to pot, there's an open slot for the taking ;-)
    Anyone else for a Saturday eve trot? hopefully catch the last hour of light?

Great weather today for a recce. great to see a few others out. I was beginning to think I was the only eejit needing to recce the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ataraxia

I dont suppose there are any last minute injuries or anyone getting cold feet that are looking to offload a ticket?! :-)

Just dm me and il get back to you asap...

God loves a tryer...lol

Looking like it'll be a cold one :eek:
    Turning bitterly cold from Wednesday through to Saturday with northwesterly winds becoming dominant, drawing cold air down from the Arctic with wintry precipitation and strong winds at times.
    http://met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ragsod

Have been keeping an eye on the forecast and it’s still moving around a lot. Mountain-forecast (can't post link) is giving an interesting outlook.

I think I can live with rain and snow, it’s the wind that could be a killer unless it its coming anywhere from the north...in which case it will give us an armchair ride all the way to Glenmalure!

Final training run last night, a set of hill reps to get some sharpness in the legs. Years since I did those things and now I remember why :)

the weather keeps changing every time I look. it will take some of the fun out of it if we get driving sleet in our faces and sloppy mud under foot for sure. but it's still possible that the ground freezes and the skies clear to a light breeze allowing that full moon to shine down. fingers crossed!
    either way it looks like it will be a cold one.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I've been looking here: https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Wicklow_Mountains/long.html

It looks OK. Some light snow showers ;)

Anybody have any insights into how slippy/icy the roads up to Checkpoint 1 may get?

• Advertisement

It can get very icy.

Usually, roads are ok up until Stone Cross. Paths after m50 can be a bit icy/frosty. Climb to stone cross is grand. Road is grippy. From stone cross, the road can get very icy and slippery. You can usually run up the middle or on verge but can be a bit dicey. Some of the downhills can be a bit sketchy.

I expect it to be frosty as soon as you take the turn for stone cross based on previous years. Once you take the short cut through the private lands, roads are Ok.

If it doesn't rain too much tomorrow, it shouldn't be too bad.

Advertisement