Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room - Granny Flat

Options
  • 11-11-2016 12:24pm

Hi

I am sure this may have come up a few times, i have been reading conflicting descriptions regarding self contained flats. We have a granny flat attached to the house that we want to rent out under the rent a room scheme. The flat has no door internally connecting the house and flat as the flat has its own entrance.

I read up on citizens information that a self contained flat attached to the main residence needs to be registered with the RTB.

"If you rent out a self-contained unit in your home, such as a converted garage attached to your home or a basement flat, the rights and obligations under residential tenancies legislation apply to you"

On the revenue site document 07-01-32 its states on 4.2
    " The room or rooms can comprise a self contained unit within the residence such as a basement flat or a converted garage attached to the residence. However, a self contained unit that is adjacent to the residence but not actually attached to it cannot qualify for the relief"

Ideally i would be able to rent out the unit as it is, however i think i may need to install a connecting door internally.

Can anyone in this situation advise what i should do.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    Hi

I am sure this may have come up a few times, i have been reading conflicting descriptions regarding self contained flats. We have a granny flat attached to the house that we want to rent out under the rent a room scheme. The flat has no door internally connecting the house and flat as the flat has its own entrance.

I read up on citizens information that a self contained flat attached to the main residence needs to be registered with the RTB.

"If you rent out a self-contained unit in your home, such as a converted garage attached to your home or a basement flat, the rights and obligations under residential tenancies legislation apply to you"

On the revenue site document 07-01-32 its states on 4.2
    " The room or rooms can comprise a self contained unit within the residence such as a basement flat or a converted garage attached to the residence. However, a self contained unit that is adjacent to the residence but not actually attached to it cannot qualify for the relief"

Ideally i would be able to rent out the unit as it is, however i think i may need to install a connecting door internally.

Can anyone in this situation advise what i should do.

Thanks
    Your flat is "attached" by virtue of having shared walls so you should be eligible without having a connecting door. If the flat was in the garden and not physically connected to the house then it would not be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It may be eligible for rent a room but without an internal connection it is definitely required to be registered with the RTB and you will have all the obligations of a landlord. You might want to investigate the cost of installing a door to prevent this.

To be 100% sure of qualifying for the rent a room relief you will need the door imo. This door can be permanently locked but once its there it makes the flat 100% part of the house.

It will also be much easier to find a way of avoiding having to register with the RTB and having to give the person tenancy rights if you have that door (and I'm sure you want to avoid this as who wants a person living in their home who they can't get rid of).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id be getting in a heavy duty very solid door, perhaps even a fire door...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And then hopefully
    Nobody calls Planning Enforcement on you as the granted planning permission most likely shows an internal connecting doorway and then one of the conditions stipulate that it is not separated by lease etc

"Granny flat" is just a slang term for the real name, Ancillary Family Accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you want to claim rent-a-room relief, under no circumstances have a separate electricity or gas meter.....

Also, make sure the address is identical to the "main house"...

Advertisement