Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting Job Offer on Maternity Leave?

Options
  • 11-11-2016 12:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11

Has anyone been offered a job while on maternity leave? Do you have any entitlement to finish up the statutory 6 months of leave or would you generally be expected to start ASAP? TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Id say its up to you and the employer. You could try to negotiate starting date when the six months are up.

I applied for two jobs this week lol!!! (33 weeks pregnant with twins)

Id say its up to you and the employer. You could try to negotiate starting date when the six months are up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Broody_Allen

Thanks. I guess there's no point in worrying about it until I'm actually offered the job, I feel better working out the hypotheticals though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

fits wrote: »

Are you entitled to maternity leave if you start a new job while pregnant?

Citizens Information says that "If you become pregnant while in employment, you are entitled to take maternity leave. "

So i would think you are not entitled to paid leave when you are already pregnant.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

I dont think so but thats not why i applied.. I applied because two suitable positions were advertised and im looking to the future. I couldnt start before the birth either way. Next june would be good. (its possible there would be a long lead in to these positions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Are you entitled to maternity leave if you start a new job while pregnant?

Citizens Information says that "If you become pregnant while in employment, you are entitled to take maternity leave. "

So i would think you are not entitled to paid leave when you are already

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

I started a new job when 4 months pregnant and received full state maternity benefit and top up from my employer.

Edited to add this site does not like me using my phone and put my edit in the wrong place! I think I misread the post, I was employed when I got pregnant and then changed jobs while pregnant so was in employment when I got pregnant.

Advertisement