Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it 4 years or 5 years for a divorce??

• 11-11-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I have an appointment with a mediator coming up soon but in the meantime can anyone help.

The 4 out of the last 5 years to divorce, confuses me.

Let's say for example I separate on 1 Jan 2016. Does this mean I can technically be divorced on the 31 Dec 2019 (01 Jan 2020!). Because technically out of the last 5 years (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) I have been separated for 4 of them.

Or does the 5 years start on the 1 Jan 2016?
    So I must wait until 31 Dec 2020 (or 01 Jan 2021!)???
    Which means I'll actually have been separated for 5 years!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's four out of five years. So if you've been separated for four continuous years, you can divorce after four years.

My marriage ended in December 2011, I got divorced earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fawdalong

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's four out of five years. So if you've been separated for four continuous years, you can divorce after four years.

My marriage ended in December 2011, I got divorced earlier this year.

Oh that's great thank you.

So I guess the 4 out of 5 is built in for a circumstance where you might separate for a year, maybe reconcile for some time, and then separate again???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

fawdalong wrote:
    So I guess the 4 out of 5 is built in for a circumstance where you might separate for a year, maybe reconcile for some time, and then separate again???

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

To add to the confusion it's five years if you decide the day after you get married you want a divorce - ie you must be married at least five years in the first place in order to fill the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

can you lodge for a divorce before these timeframes, ie there's a years waiting list which brings you to the statutory time frame or can you only lodge within the timeframe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement