Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to 52/36 from 50/34...yae or nae?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Casula wrote: »
    I got rid of 50/34 set up for a 52/39 a good few years ago. Much prefer it. Spend most of my time in the 39. Only find myself switching to big ring once speed is up over 35kph odd. Usually run a 11/28 or 12/27 cassette as prefer to spin up hills around Wicklow and found myself grinding too much when 39/25 was lowest gear. I also find the drop from the big ring to the 39 more smooth compared to dropping down to the 34 from big ring with compact.

11/28 is a good get out of jail for crap climbers like myself, wonder how it would be efficient it would be on 36/28?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I'd say your fine with the 50/34 setup for the moment, particularly through the winter where its actually probably a better set-up if you live in a hilly area like wicklow, thinking been you should be riding relatively easy and this may not be possible at your current level with a 52/36 set-up.

If you eventually start racing then a 53/39 set-up would be preferable but not a necessary set-up. If all depends the level you race at, A4 you might get away with a 50/34.

Personally I'd leave it for now and think about it again in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Even if you only spin at 110rpm in a sprint I doubt you'll win the sprint. Learn how to spin gears. I use a 53/39 but that's because I never used the 34 before in the compact as I can climb reasonably well and a 39/28 the lowest I need in 99% of my riding at home. In a sprint I'll spin at in excess of 130rpm easily. Rarely use the 53/11 unless I'm in a tailwind lineout.

Craig06 wrote: »
    Even if you only spin at 110rpm in a sprint I doubt you'll win the sprint. Learn how to spin gears. I use a 53/39 but that's because I never used the 34 before in the compact as I can climb reasonably well and a 39/28 the lowest I need in 99% of my riding at home. In a sprint I'll spin at in excess of 130rpm easily. Rarely use the 53/11 unless I'm in a tailwind lineout.

I think most will say using the 52/11 or 53/11 is a rarity I'd say. Finding a go to gear slightly higher up the block that allows me to accelerate quickly is the aim while using the 36 ring for climbing if I go for it in the Spring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dahat wrote: »
    11/28 is a good get out of jail for crap climbers like myself, wonder how it would be efficient it would be on 36/28?
    was shoppign around recently, saw a few bikes running a 32 on the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're ever in Dublin, and running Shimano, I'm trying to get rid of my 52/36 crankset (105). I however don't race so can't give you advice, and it was on a commuter//touring bike with an 11-25 on the bike. Bizarre set up to be honest (originally had a 53/39). Had to change it to a standard compact and a 12-28 at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Casula

tuxy wrote: »
    If you leave it until that speed to switch to the big ring wouldn't this mean you are cross chaining frequently?

True but the point I'm getting at is a 39 is more versatile than a 34. You can stay in it pretty much all day and there isn't the same annoying dramatic switch in cadence jumping between it and the big ring that you get when doing likewise with a 34.

Weepsie wrote: »
    If you're ever in Dublin, and running Shimano, I'm trying to get rid of my 52/36 crankset (105). I however don't race so can't give you advice, and it was on a commuter//touring bike with an 11-25 on the bike. Bizarre set up to be honest (originally had a 53/39). Had to change it to a standard compact and a 12-28 at the back

Sure put a price on it anyway. Ya never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

was shoppign around recently, saw a few bikes running a 32 on the rear.

You will often see 50/34 11-32 on bikes labeled as endurance. 34x32 seems ridiculous to anyone who cycles regularly but I'd image they are fantastic for people who only take the bike out a few times a year or those who have neglected training before a hilly sportive.

39/28 will get you up anything in Ireland, including Mamore Gap and the mast up at Mount Leinster. That said, I think my knees would've thanked me for a 36/28 on those b@stard climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

39/28 will get you up anything in Ireland, including Mamore Gap and the mast up at Mount Leinster. That said, I think my knees would've thanked me for a 36/28 on those b@stard climbs.
    name any gear ratio and you can claim it'll get you up any climb, if your legs are strong enough.

I'd love to believe you on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

My old steel frame runs a 52/42 with a 12/ 25 block. I tend to use the 52 for 90 % of the time, only dropping to 52 on climbs. Used to run that on a straight 12/ 19 block up to a few years ago. It's an old 8 speed job, actually did W 200.on that set up about 15 years ago, madness ! Changed it about 3 years ago , too old for that set up :)
    Got a 2nd bike a cad 9 running on a 50/34 and a 12/28 block, much easier for hills :)

I'd love to believe you on that one!

The avg speed on the climb to the mast at Mount Leinster with that set up was 5.8kph for 2.5k odd. That should give you an idea of the sort of "climbing" I was up to and maybe make it all a bit more believable.

Anyway, getting back to your original post I'm saying yae. Get rid of the compact and stick a 12/27 on the back wheel and get out there and ride your bike.

The avg speed on the climb to the mast at Mount Leinster with that set up was 5.8kph for 2.5k odd. That should give you an idea of the sort of "climbing" I was up to and maybe make it all a bit more believable.

Anyway, getting back to your original post I'm saying yae. Get rid of the compact and stick a 12/27 on the back wheel and get out there and ride your bike.

What was your cadence on that climb? You may have been faster if you could spin better.

Do Shimano even do a 12/27 in 11 speed?

tuxy wrote: »
    What was your cadence on that climb? You may have been faster if you could spin better.

Do Shimano even do a 12/27 in 11 speed?

Emm, reckon about 30/40rpm. Was overgeared putting it mildly. Think 12/27 still exists in 10 speed land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'm in the change camp. I spent my first few years riding on a compact and when I started racing paired it with a nice snappy 11/23 on the back. I've long since changed to a 53/39.

Regarding racing, I have been dropped with a 50/34 on the bike just the same as a 53/39. It won't be in the 50x11, or the 53x11 for that matter, that you run out of legs if you're only trying racing out. A 34 chainring is absolutely useless for racing. A 36 mildly useful. A 39 can be used on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Plastik wrote: »
    I'm in the change camp. I spent my first few years riding on a compact and when I started racing paired it with a nice snappy 11/23 on the back. I've long since changed to a 53/39.

Regarding racing, I have been dropped with a 50/34 on the bike just the same as a 53/39. It won't be in the 50x11, or the 53x11 for that matter, that you run out of legs if you're only trying racing out. A 34 chainring is absolutely useless for racing. A 36 mildly useful. A 39 can be used on occasion.

Well, a 34 chainring is useless for racing when you have a wide-range cassette (e.g. 11-28), but with an 11-25 it's only marginal.

I tend to do hard hill efforts at about 85rpm, which in 39x25 is about 16kph.

In my own crappy racing efforts I have seen speeds of 15-20kph for extended periods (e.g. the Snowtown on the Stamullen GP, or some multi-race I did out in hills near Limerick).

What about hillclimbs? I've gone as low as 13kph on the well-named "Ooh ya b*stard ramp" segment on Bohernabreena, and as low as 8kph for four minutes on the final ramp of Kilmashogue Lane (I spent most of that four minutes considering giving up cycling).

Other than hillclimbs you might also want to use the bike for hilly non-racing efforts without changing the chainset.

Lumen wrote: »
    Well, a 34 chainring is useless for racing when you have a wide-range cassette (e.g. 11-28), but with an 11-25 it's only marginal.

In my own crappy racing efforts I have seen speeds of 15-20kph for extended periods (e.g. the Snowtown on the Stamullen GP, or some multi-race I did out in hills near Limerick).

What about hillclimbs? I've gone as low as 13kph on the well-named "Ooh ya b*stard ramp" segment on Bohernabreena, and as low as 8kph for four minutes on the final ramp of Kilmashogue Lane (I spent most of that four minutes considering giving up cycling).

Other than hillclimbs you might also want to use the bike for hilly non-racing efforts without changing the chainset.

This has me thinking, could pick up such cassette handy and see how I go.

one reason i stick to the 39 on my chainring most of the time is that there's a little bit of chatter when i use the big ring, unless i'm running to the three smallest rings on the freewheel. it's always been that way, regardless of how well the chain is lubed. would there be any misadjustment which coudl cause that?
    running on the small ring, there's no chatter at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I race on a compact.
    Plenty of people in my club race on compacts, and do well at all levels.

If you can't hold a cadence of 110 you need to learn how to pedal.

You're not going to spin out 53x12.

nee wrote: »
    I race on a compact.
    Plenty of people in my club race on compacts, and do well at all levels.

If you can't hold a cadence of 110 you need to learn how to pedal.

You're not going to spin out 53x12.

Likely to go for a different cassette instead, I don't have long term plans for racing just early doors to see how it is etc then if I like or feel I can be competitive rather than being the old fat man dropped I'll plan for season following next one.

one reason i stick to the 39 on my chainring most of the time is that there's a little bit of chatter when i use the big ring, unless i'm running to the three smallest rings on the freewheel. it's always been that way, regardless of how well the chain is lubed. would there be any misadjustment which coudl cause that?
    running on the small ring, there's no chatter at all.

That's not good your front derailleur may need adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

I've used a 53/39, 52/36 and 50/34 in the last few years.

I cycle around Roscommon mainly where there are not too many hills.

Even so, I found the 53/39 a little big, but did use the big ring quite a bit, but you do find that its easy for your cadence to drop below what it should be.

I still use a 52/36 which I like the best and do you use the big ring most of the time on the flat, with an 11-29 on the back.

I have a 50/34 on a lighter bike I purchased 2nd hand (so didn't choose it) and only ever use the 34 on steeper, longer hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'd like to try some early races next year and not sure I'd hold in on a 50 11.

Wouldn't say I'm spinning out and I do use the 34 28 on big hills, Mahon, Seskin etc...

I'm just looking to progress and a step to a bigger crank may bring some improvement maybe.

Depends on your style I'd say, but I'd hardly call the 50/34 novicey!
    I use that myself with a 10 speed 105, and I climb mostly in the 34 but very few people ever pass me on a climb.
    If I were racing I might look for bigger gears for more speed, but have no call for it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Lumen wrote: »

What hills would you be doing those 85rpms on?

I'm often going up that Bohernabreena hill at well under 13kmph! I'd assume the vast majority of people don't get near that speed on that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

terrydel wrote: »
    What hills would you be doing those 85rpms on?
    The 85rpm was on Snowtown - final steep part which Strava says averages 8%.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

yae

Advertisement