Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty Training Tips - Halfway There?

Options
  • 11-11-2016 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

My eldest was 2 at the end of July and two weeks ago (after a failed first attempt a few months previous) we started potty training again. One hour in and she had pee down to a tee, and it took her a week to get 100% confident to do poos without a cuddle and reassurance during :p
    We've been doing it naked from the waist down until recently, now just knickers. I'm reminding her and prompting her basically every 15 minutes and actually taking her to her potty if I see she needs to go and is holding it. She frets, won't go unless the knickers are completely off her! If I leave her to her own devices (I also have a 1 year old), she will sit on the potty in her knickers and go, but will not attempt to take them off or let me know she needs help. Because of this, we've had to resort to pullups when going out (we still try to persevere with taking her to the toilet).

Any tips or advice for getting her over this little hurdle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My eldest was 2 at the end of July and two weeks ago (after a failed first attempt a few months previous) we started potty training again. One hour in and she had pee down to a tee, and it took her a week to get 100% confident to do poos without a cuddle and reassurance during :p
    We've been doing it naked from the waist down until recently, now just knickers. I'm reminding her and prompting her basically every 15 minutes and actually taking her to her potty if I see she needs to go and is holding it. She frets, won't go unless the knickers are completely off her! If I leave her to her own devices (I also have a 1 year old), she will sit on the potty in her knickers and go, but will not attempt to take them off or let me know she needs help. Because of this, we've had to resort to pullups when going out (we still try to persevere with taking her to the toilet).

Any tips or advice for getting her over this little hurdle?

I had exactly the same problem when training my daughter. She got it perfectly when bare arsed but wouldn't ever ask or care if she wet herself with undies on. I persevered as I'm a teacher and was off for the summer and wanted to get it done. However in hindsight, I can see now I would have been better off leaving her and going back to it in October. I feel she would have got it quicker and there would have been less need for pull ups (except at night).
    My first advice would therefore be to stop for a while and try again.
    If you don't want to do that, I just created a routine around toileting. Brought her before and after everything - getting up, going to bed, every meal, going out, every time we passed a toilet etc. I also tried to not to get stressed about the accidents by counting the successes instead and ignoring numbers of accidents. I used pull ups for about 2 weeks when going out and still brought her to toilet as often as I could while out.
    Honestly there was no magic formula. It was stressful and I wish I'd waited. Even now she often holds her wee too long and will be adamant she doesn't need the toilet and really has to be coerced to go. Just to add, she was 2 and 8 months when I started, has great use of language etc. so in theory should have been able to tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Why the rush to train? I don't think changing nappies is any less convenient than cleaning up accidents or constantly putting a child on the toilet. She is obviously not ready. She's still very young so leave it and try again in a few months. Potty training is generally done in 2/3 days when a child is ready. If it's taking longer then they are not ready and it's probably stressing the child out and could cause issues in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Why the rush to train? I don't think changing nappies is any less convenient than cleaning up accidents or constantly putting a child on the toilet. She is obviously not ready. She's still very young so leave it and try again in a few months. Potty training is generally done in 2/3 days when a child is ready. If it's taking longer then they are not ready and it's probably stressing the child out and could cause issues in the long term.

I never said I was in a rush or that there was any inconvenience. She displayed every sign of being ready and grasped it almost immediately. She is my first potty trained baby so I was curious about the issue with clothes, not looking for misplaced judgement!

Advertisement