Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus lanes and parking

• 11-11-2016 7:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

I am new to motorcycling and was wondering if I can park on the sidewalk with the bicycles and if the use of bus lanes is enforced. There is a bus lane from my home all the way to my work and school so was wondering if I will get into trouble for using them all the time. I am in Dublin by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yes to both (although it's a grey area) but in both cases don't be an ass and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

colm_c wrote: »
    Yes to both (although it's a grey area) but in both cases don't be an ass and you'll be fine.

Not a grey area at all.

Both you can do, and will normally get away with, but, by the letter of the law you can't use a bus lane. In fact, if you use a bus lane on your test, you will fail. But, the Gardai turn a blind eye to it, unless you get someone who is having a really bad day or just doesn't like you.

The same with parking in a bicycle bay. You'll almost never get hassle, but again, by Dublin city by-laws, the bay is for bicycle parking only.

Most bikers will use a bus lane and park where they can, without issue. But, you'll also hear of the odd one pulled up by a Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Parking on the pavement is illegal, but do it without causing obstruction to pedestrians etc. and 99.9% of the time you will have no issue.
    I got a parking ticket on a traffic island outside my then workplace in 1995, so did all the couriers from the firm across the road! must have been a very enthusiastic new garda from the station across the road, the rest ignored us, like an eejit I paid up but I can't imagine the couriers did.
    I'm not sure from your post if you were asking about parking in a bus lane - don't.
    I can't speak for other cities - but in Dublin almost every biker uses bus lanes every day, i do.
    Almost all Gardai will ignore you if you aren't otherwise breaking the law, it's usually the safest place for a motorcycle to be and we don't obstruct any other vehicle.
    One time I was going up the Stillorgan Road bus lane inbound, there was a van stopped in the bus lane so I went to go around it to the right, still in that lane. Then I realised the van had been pulled over by a bike Garda for illegally using the bus lane, when he saw me he told me to pull over, after he'd issued a ticket to the van driver he told me off - basically because he was stopping them he had to be seen to be stopping me (and made some theatrical finger pointing gestures) but the message was don't take the p**s and don't ride away from checkpoints and it's not a problem. That was about 17 years ago and I've continued to use bus lanes in Dublin every day and never been stoppd for that since.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I've pulled up beside bike cops at the lights on pearse street a number of times, both in the bus lane, friendly nod and not a bother. It's like so many minor offenses in Ireland. Nobody cares unless they're adding it to a list of offenses based on something stupid you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm riding in bus lanes since they come out and never been stopped. I did get a ticket for parking on the island on O'Connell Street but that was some time back in the 1990's.

Bus lanes, use them and don't be a dick about it.

Cycle lanes, you're safer staying out of them really & safer for the cyclists too.

DON'T park in a DCC car parking bay, its illegal.

Its really all common sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement