Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story with fraud prevention?

Options
  • 11-11-2016 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Reps,

I'm a big online shopper, poor postman is driven demented with me. Anyways from time to time BOI/Visa decline a transaction based presumably on fraud protection (larger purchases, far east sellers, no VbyV). Great, you're looking out for my interests, I'd wanna know if somebody in Japan just ordered a 50" TV on my card. 

The hiccup occurs when contacting the support desk, they're wholly unaware and can't confirm why a transaction failed or "whitelist" a merchant (one time or permanently). Is this a separation of concerns and Visa are really doing all the work or is there a procedure that your CSRs have missed on previous calls?

Visa Debit
    Current account

In this case the merchant is AliPay who'd be reasonably well regarded nowadays, not some two bit outfit out of Kazakhstan.

Any light you could shed on this would be great,
    Thanks,
    ED E. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning ED E, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here. 

I'd like to look into this further for you and get some more clarification. I'll reply to you here as soon as I do. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So, bit of an update. Fraud Prevention at BOI/Visa, does sort of work. Slowly

11/11 ~7PM: Attempt to order. Failed. (3 attempts, 2 addresses)
    12/11 4.38PM: Attempt again as order still open and prices are promotional. This time redirected to Arcot for V by V. Accepted, Whipee! 
    12/11 7.02PM: Text and Email from BOI to highlight 2 of 3 transactions(?) from 11/11. I replied Yes (indicating they were genuine). Great. 
    12/11 10.17AM: Not that thats all cleared up I try and buy €30 worth of accessories for the above. Rejected!
      [NB: Browser goes from AliPay gateway -> Arcot -> Alipay Failure with an automatic redirect, no V by V prompt]
    13/11: 10.35AM: Text and Email from BOI to highlight transaction 3(failed), 4(succeeded) and 5(Accessories, Failed) .

So it looks like its operating on a 24hr delay. And wholly ineffectual. Rejects, then allows, then asks me to allow or not? I say yes, then it continues to block. 

I'm going to make one more attempt now as this messup has left 5 open orders on my account. 

If you'd like I can pass on the the case numbers. 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1/5 processed successfully. No V by V this time. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Ed, 

Thanks for you patience. We would like to have your individual case investigated. Can I ask you to send us a Private Message with your name and contact number? 

To send us a PM, please ensure your signature is set to display in your 'Control Panel Settings' and then click on the link in my signature to send a private message. Please include the Case ID also. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement