Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Cool Festival Madrid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Artist cross over. For example say Artists playing Benicassim and Longitude as they are close in proximity and dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

No camping?

Friends goin to this just to see PJ, skint at the moment but thinking of going, probly sold out by time I get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What's a cross over?

I think he means sharing a bunch of the acts; for which the answer is expect an entirely different line up and little to no similarity. Not my intention to decimate but majority of acts doing festivals are moving on to the next location so will likely be in a different country by the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’d nearly go to this solo, my normal festival group aren’t interested. Too hot apparently? We’d manage 3 days for that lineup I reckon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If i do go ill prob look to book a hotel with a pool , need somewhere to cool off (the joys of being ginger and freckely ha)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Layne

MadYaker wrote: »
    I’d nearly go to this solo, my normal festival group aren’t interested. Too hot apparently? We’d manage 3 days for that lineup I reckon.
    Feel free to tag along with us if you wish. Us being four middle aged fellas who are heading along for the craic, culture oh and Pearl Jam of course!!
    We have booked a hostel, OK Madrid hostel, for the duration of Mad Cool. As for it being too hot, will cool down with some chilled beers. Beats trying to wrap up in our so called 'summer' any day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The gigs dont start till 6.30 or 7pm ish.

Ill be looking for somewhere with a pool for the day time. Up, swim, then a few hours of tapas and booze beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Layne

The Nal wrote: »
    The gigs dont start till 6.30 or 7pm ish.

Ill be looking for somewhere with a pool for the day time. Up, swim, then a few hours of tapas and booze beforehand.
    Start late and they finish at all hours too. Remember being at Rock am Ring years ago and seeing Korn coming on stage at 1.30am and playing a blistering set. Couldn't get my head around it at the time but have realised since that it is the norm on the continent. Just hope I'll be able to stay awake, never do to nod off half way through NIN!!

Rumours abound that the unnanounced headliner is Arctic Monkeys with Jack White similar to Depeche Mode and QOTSA on the following day.

Where do they get the money for all these huge acts charging €170 quid a ticket? What's the capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Where do they get the money for all these huge acts charging €170 quid a ticket? What's the capacity?

The first couple of years supposedly had a lot of money pumped into it from the Madrid tourism board, judging on the crowd last year I'd say it paid off as a huge amount of non-spanish people seemed to be at it. I couldn't get over the amount of Irish at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

capacity is gone up to 80,000 at the new location I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

MadYaker wrote:

Was 45k last year at the old site but with the move the new location holds 80k.

Even with the downpour on one of the evenings last year I though it was very well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Rumours abound that the unnanounced headliner is Arctic Monkeys with Jack White similar to Depeche Mode and QOTSA on the following day.

In my experience, festivals on the continent get more support from the local councils and governments. I know that Dour Festival (for example) uses local, unemployed people to build the infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's also only about 130 until friday

Was looking at going to this but i might be going to Florida around the same time so cant rush into booking tickets just incase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I went the first year it was on. I didn't really like the set up and the layout of it. The two main stages were really close together in the carpark. Kind of weird. Then they had the rest of the stages in the tennis arenas which I didn't really like either. And I never once got into the standing bit of the tennis arena we always had to go upstairs to the seated bit. I'm not sure how early you'd have to go to get into the standing bit. There was always a mad rush of people to get in and one time we queued for a really long time and then we were turned away. It was somehow kind of cold one of the days we were there and the carpark bit was really windy because it's just a big wide open space. 
    Having said that I did enjoy it overall being there with my friends. The crowd at it was great everybody was nice and frienly, no girlos spending hours in the toilets. Queues for toilets and bars were OK they were long but moved quickly. We used the shuttle bus to get home every night pretty seamlessly. We took the metro every day to get there. Had my phone robbed one of the nights, police said it was very organised and they caught a guy with a backpack full of phones but I didn't get mine back and most people we met there also had their phones robbed too. I had a great time at it but compared to other festivals I've been to it doesn't really stand up. I think mainly I didn't like the layout and the gigs in the tennis courts. It didn't lend itself to a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

I went the first year it was on. I didn't really like the set up and the layout of it. The two main stages were really close together in the carpark. Kind of weird. Then they had the rest of the stages in the tennis arenas which I didn't really like either. And I never once got into the standing bit of the tennis arena we always had to go upstairs to the seated bit. I'm not sure how early you'd have to go to get into the standing bit. There was always a mad rush of people to get in and one time we queued for a really long time and then we were turned away. It was somehow kind of cold one of the days we were there and the carpark bit was really windy because it's just a big wide open space. 
    Having said that I did enjoy it overall being there with my friends. The crowd at it was great everybody was nice and frienly, no girlos spending hours in the toilets. Queues for toilets and bars were OK they were long but moved quickly. We used the shuttle bus to get home every night pretty seamlessly. We took the metro every day to get there. Had my phone robbed one of the nights, police said it was very organised and they caught a guy with a backpack full of phones but I didn't get mine back and most people we met there also had their phones robbed too. I had a great time at it but compared to other festivals I've been to it doesn't really stand up. I think mainly I didn't like the layout and the gigs in the tennis courts. It didn't lend itself to a good atmosphere.

It is in a new venue this year and a lot bigger , was in two minds between here and NOS portugal and went for Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Bit the bullet.....Pearl Jam had me and Nos Alive is sold out :) go Madrid......hopefully it won't crisp us :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Who's yer man in the gifs earlier in this thread?

mayordenis wrote: »
    Who's yer man in the gifs earlier in this thread?

Liam Howlett from The Prodigy.

• Advertisement

I hope the last headliner isn't muse or The Killers. I'm kind of hoping it'll be Arctic Monkeys even though they can be a bit dull live I reckon the new album will definitely be good. I bought my ticket a few days ago. €149.20 a steal imo.

I hope the last headliner isn't muse or The Killers. I'm kind of hoping it'll be Arctic Monkeys even though they can be a bit dull live I reckon the new album will definitely be good. I bought my ticket a few days ago. €149.20 a steal imo.

Wont be the Killers since they are doing Bennicasim

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Did you buy one second hand for that price? Only the €165 tickets have been available since the week they went on sale.

I used discount code DEC20

Do they ever share acts with Bilbao BBK? Parquet Courts please!

https://www.bilbaobbklive.com/en/

I used discount code DEC20

Nice discount for some patience!

Did it work for you yeah? When I found that on efestivals I couldn't resist. A ticket for a Pearl Jam gig on it's own would surely set you back close to 100 quid.

Unfortunately I bought mine the day they were released and was slow off the mark so paid full whack.

And you're correct, got a PJ ticket for London which was €103.

Hopefully some other spotted your discount and were able to avail.

Artic Monkeys seem to be a certainty at this stage.

• Advertisement

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Artic Monkeys seem to be a certainty at this stage.

Assume they're the Friday night headliner.

Advertisement