Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technically Hillary Clinton could still be elected President.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭ted1

meeeeh wrote: »
    Tell me how would clear majority wins work in EU? Especially after brexit when there will be only a few large countries.

Who says that they are leaving ? It has to go to parliament and just like EC the populists vote may not be the result that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

ted1 wrote: »
    Who says that they are leaving ? It has to go to parliament and just like EC the populists vote may not be the result that matters
    That was not my point. Check how many people elect an mep in Ireland or in Germany. Not to mention each country has a commissioner regardlessof the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Yeah her millions and millions excess, an absolute romp in the popular vote.

I suggested he may, I never spoke in absolutes. At least that was still a possibility, even if it's completely moot, despite your continued focus on it.

The only person contending anything here is you guys clinging to the idea that the electoral issue was down to "a few votes" when most would consider that rather generous to the closeness of the contest.

scuba8 wrote:
    While noting the closeness of the count in many states, it should be pointed that many Democrat supporters were hindered in their attempts to vote. Republicans closed almost 900 polling stations all in predominantly Democrat areas. In NC a judge said that it was carried out with surgical precision in African American areas to suppress voters.

There are rumours on the other side, such as the rather unusual call in extending polling hours by up to 2 hours in heavily Denocrat counties, coincidentally in States where it turned out to be marginally won by Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I have actually kind of had my mind changed on the whole electoral college thing on the basis of this thread:

Imagine if the EU was ran on the basis of popular vote across the countries as a whole? All you need would be for France, Germany, Poland, Italy and UK to be in favour of something, and the other 20-odd countries would have no choice but to go along with it.

Not saying the Electoral College is perfect by any means, but I can see the rationale for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

ligerdub wrote: »
    There are rumours on the other side, such as the rather unusual call in extending polling hours by up to 2 hours in heavily Denocrat counties, coincidentally in States where it turned out to be marginally won by Donald.
    This is real through the look glass stuff. Apparently it's now "anti-democratic" to close polling at the correct time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Are these millions of votes the 600k odd votes over Trump that she has? Millions? Correct me if I'm wrong by my last check showed 60.2m for Trump vs 60.8m for Clinton.

She won the popular vote because she appealed to the liberals and took NY by 1.5m votes and Cali by 2.5m. If you look at the heat maps these votes in NY and cali states mostly came from new York city and San Fran/LA where she was getting over 80% of the vote. Despite this 4m vote lead in basically 3 cities she only won the popular vote by 600k.
    People like Michael Moore are out protesting and asking Trump to step aside because they want the way the election was run, and was campaigned for changed after the fact.
    If it goes direct vote for vote the campaigns will ignore middle and little America and be focused on the major cities only. This move would further divide the USA as smaller states feeling more ignored will begin to push back.

The counting of the vote hasn't finished. Hillary is going to gain literally millions more votes - and they're predominantly from California and Washington, so don't expect any equivalent boost to Trump's vote. So, yeah - 'millions of votes'.

That was for early voting, and isn't unusual at all. It's the normal rule that anyone in the queue before closing is entitled to vote, even if that requires keeping the polling station open late. On Election Day polling extensions require a court order, and the late polled votes are treated as provisional. So the rumours don't really amount to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭scuba8

That refers to a case where some Republican Representative went to court to object to a polling station staying open for an extra two hours.
    Case was thrown out because all of the people who voted in the extra two hours had already been in the queue at the time of closing. This is legal so the case was thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Short, informative article on why it would be difficult to change the American EC system:

'Four Theses on the Electoral College' http://www.the-american-interest.com/2016/11/12/four-theses-on-the-electoral-college/

• Advertisement

smjm wrote: »
    Short, informative article on why it would be difficult to change the American EC system:

'Four Theses on the Electoral College' http://www.the-american-interest.com/2016/11/12/four-theses-on-the-electoral-college/
    Some states are starting write into law that they will hand over their electoral college votes to whoever get the majority of votes in the entire union... but only to be invoked when all other states do the same.
    So you never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Well President Trump thinks the EC is a disaster:
    Donald J. TrumpVerified account
    @realDonaldTrump
    The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.
    RETWEETS

8:45 PM - 6 Nov 2012
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266038556504494082

alastair wrote:
    That was for early voting, and isn't unusual at all. It's the normal rule that anyone in the queue before closing is entitled to vote, even if that requires keeping the polling station open late. On Election Day polling extensions require a court order, and the late polled votes are treated as provisional. So the rumours don't really amount to anything.

No it wasn't, it was polling day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

LLMMLL wrote: »
    The next generation are fine.

This quote should replace our national anthem, America's pledge of allegiance etc

No it wasn't, it was polling day.

There were only two states had extensions on Election Day; firstly in Texas, hardly a swing state, and secondly in North Carolina, where 8 stations had extensions of 25 minutes to 60 minutes on account of the breakdown of electronic register checking. No two hours, no rumours - it was quite open and publicised.

alastair wrote: »
    There were only two states had extensions on Election Day; firstly in Texas, hardly a swing state, and secondly in North Carolina, where 8 stations had extensions of 25 minutes to 60 minutes on account of the breakdown of electronic register checking. No two hours, no rumours - it was quite open and publicised.
    As long as each person gets to vote only once then there should be no issue with keeping the polls open. Closing early would be a real issue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

"hicksville"... what a racist and despicable thing to say.

You're showing your colours as a narrow-minded bigot.

Are you actually a thinking person?

It's called democracy.

Hicksville is actually in New York, so how is it any more racist than Hackensack, New Jersey, which is slightly nearer?

It is no worse than saying 'Ballygobackwards' for a remote place in Ireland (which does not exist, by the way).

Checking facts does not take long these days.

Hicksville is actually in New York, so how is it any more racist than Hackensack, New Jersey, which is slightly nearer?
    So it's OK to refer to "people from Chinaman Gulch" or "people from Dago Creek" as these are also place names?
    You think people will say to themselves "Oh yeah, you're so clever Sam making out he was referring to Hicksville New York. Ha ah. Ha."?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So it's OK to refer to "people from Chinaman Gulch" or "people from Dago Creek" as these are also place names?
    You think people will say to themselves "Oh yeah, you're so clever Sam making out he was referring to Hicksville New York. Ha ah. Ha."?

Bill Clinton was from Hope, Arkansas. Do you think making jokes about Hope, Arkansas in relation to Clinton would be appropriate?

Using names, whether real or imaginary is common in normal discourse. It is only racist if it is intended to be so but the use of such names are not racist per se.

• Advertisement

Using names, whether real or imaginary is common in normal discourse. It is only racist if it is intended to be so but the use of such names are not racist per se.
    Er, here is the original post
    ted1 wrote: »
    So because someone lives in Hicksville their vote carrys a higher weight than someone living in a city. In democracy are all people not equal?
    Now, go on then. Tell me he was referring to the town of Hicksville, New York. If I said "people from Idiotville support Clinton" you'd be OK with that? It's a place-name, right?

Now, go on then. Tell me he was referring to the town of Hicksville, New York. If I said "people from Idiotville support Clinton" you'd be OK with that? It's a place-name, right?

I'm still struggling to understand what ethnicity or race hicks are supposed to have.

They are offering about as ludicrous as defence to this argument as anything I've ever heard.

They are offering about as ludicrous as defence to this argument as anything I've ever heard.
    A least the KKK are honest with their racism.

I'm still struggling to understand what ethnicity or race hicks are supposed to have.
    I hate Coons.
    I mean people from Coon, Wisconsin obviously. Looks like a right dump.

I hate Coons.
    I mean people from Coon, Wisconsin obviously. Looks like a right dump.

Coon is a racial slur, Hick is not.

Thought this wouldn't really need to be pointed out.

Hicks are culchies, bog hoppers, yokels. Of no fixed ethnicity.

• Advertisement

Coon is a racial slur, Hick is not.

Thought this wouldn't really need to be pointed out.

Hicks are culchies, bog hoppers, yokels. Of no fixed ethnicity.
    "a person who lives in the country, regarded as being unintelligent or parochial." says my dictionary.
    So, where did you get your definition? Kinda made up on the spot to suit your argument eh?

hicksville
    [hiks-vil]
    noun, Slang.
    a backward, provincial place; backwater.

Let me guess, hicksville really means "lovely place where learned gentlemen and ladies reside"?

As I said, Coon is a place in Wisconsin. Coon. Coon. Coon. Wisconsin.

"a person who lives in the country, regarded as being unintelligent or parochial." says my dictionary.

That's what I just said. But while it may be a slur on rural folk, it's clearly not a racial or ethnic slur.

Repeating an actual racial slur does little to remove that fact.

That's what I just said. But while it may be a slur on rural folk, it's clearly not a racial or ethnic slur.

Repeating an actual racial slur does little to remove that fact.
    What racial slur is this? I'm talking about Coon, Wisconsin. Exactly the same way you guys are talking about Hicksville, New York.
    Is that confusing you?

I hate Coons. I mean people from Coon, Wisconsin obviously. Looks like a right dump.

Obviously. There's no way you could interrupt that any other way.

What racial slur is this? I'm talking about Coon, Wisconsin. Exactly the same way you guys are talking about Hicksville, New York.
    Is that confusing you?

You seem confused, as well as rather eager to keep repeating a racial slur. I never mentioned Hicksville.

• Advertisement

No I wasn't referring to a place in New York. I we using it to describe a place similar to ballygobackwards. Hicksville is a common term with no racial slur attached.
    Think of Cletus from the Simpsons.

If you think that Hicksville is a racist slur , what race is it slurring and how ?

In Ireland if I was to call some one a culchie, would that be a racist slur ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Raise the standard of posting please and knock off the trolling.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Going back to the OP, why would the Electoral college overturn its own system in favour of a candidate just as poor as the winner? The goal posts cannot be moved just because the outcome is unacceptable to many. By all means reform or remove the Electoral college system by the next election, but now is not the time to undermine democracy, IMO. Both Republicians and Democrats went into the election with this system and the latter would have accepted the result if Clinton had won via the college system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Reports are circulating that up to 3 million illegal aliens may have voted in the presidential election. If the rumors are true then Hillary might not have won the popular vote, either.

Amerika wrote: »
    Reports are circulating that up to 3 million illegal aliens may have voted in the presidential election. If the rumors are true then Hillary might not have won the popular vote, either.

Rumours of alien corpses at Area 51 too. Neither warrant your attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How come you didn't cite any then or is this just another cop out from you?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

How come you didn't cite any then or is this just another cop out from you?

Am I always required to provide sources for everything I comment on? I thought it was only expected when asked or challenged on it. And when have I ever ‘copped-out’ on providing sources when asked?

http://www.infowars.com/report-three-million-votes-in-presidential-election-cast-by-illegal-aliens/

Rumours of alien corpses at Area 51 too. Neither warrant your attention.
    That brought a smile to my face. I have a friend of the family who was one of the earliest fighter pilots in the US Air Force. He flew the North American F-86 Sabre, Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, and the North American F-100 Super Sabre. Many of the tactics he developed are still used today. He says he was stationed for awhile at Area 51 in the 1950's... and he claims there are alien corpses, and has seen them. In all my years I've never known him to lie about his many Air Force adventures. But I guess there's a chance he is telling a tall tale, but he tells the story dead serious.

Am I always required to provide sources for everything I comment on? I thought it was only expected when asked or challenged on it. And when have I ever ‘copped-out’ on providing sources when asked?

http://www.infowars.com/report-three-million-votes-in-presidential-election-cast-by-illegal-aliens/

So - a tweet without any actual evidence, from a conspiracy theorist who didn't feel this 'info' warranted a mention on their own CT website. Compelling stuff.

• Advertisement

But I guess there's a chance he is telling a tall tale.

You reckon? :rolleyes:

So - a tweet without any actual evidence, from a conspiracy theorist who didn't feel this 'info' warranted a mention on their own CT website. Compelling stuff.
    If legal action is being initiated, then time will tell.

If legal action is being initiated, then time will tell.

Have you actually read his tweets? There's nothing being initiated - it's all hot air (as should be patently obvious to anyone).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

That brought a smile to my face. I have a friend of the family who was one of the earliest fighter pilots in the US Air Force. He flew the North American F-86 Sabre, Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, and the North American F-100 Super Sabre. Many of the tactics he developed are still used today. He says he was stationed for awhile at Area 51 in the 1950's... and he claims there are alien corpses, and has seen them. In all my years I've never known him to lie about his many Air Force adventures. But I guess there's a chance he is telling a tall tale, but he tells the story dead serious.

With the indulges of the Mods as this is off topic, but I recently finished a biography Col. John Boyd (US Military theorist) and from that book anyone who flew the F-100 was both skillful and lucky as it was a temperamental jet.

Manach wrote: »
    With the indulges of the Mods as this is off topic, but I recently finished a biography Col. John Boyd (US Military theorist) and from that book anyone who flew the F-100 was both skillful and lucky as it was a temperamental jet.
    He was sent to a training facility for the most promising Air Force fighter pilots. On his first mission there he ‘shot down’ his commanding officer in a dog fight. He described the maneuver he used to shoot him down, but it was all to technical to me. Upon landing the commanding officer got out of his jet and promptly left the base, talking to no one. He didn’t return for two days. When he returned he made it a point to make my friends time there a living hell from then on.

I'll be seeing him at Thanksgiving. Any questions you want me to ask him? And he voted for Donald Trump. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Same website claims Hilary physically attacked her own campaign staff after the result. Do you believe this also?

demfad wrote: »
    Same website claims Hilary physically attacked her own campaign staff after the result. Do you believe this also?
    I believe it is possible. The report of the incident came from a CNN reporter. And I can see CNN blocking it as they were known as the Clinton News Network during the election cycle, and one of their reporters was feeding Hillary questions ahead of debates. And if I would have mentioned it, I would have used the term 'rumor' just as I did in the comment about 3 million illegals voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I believe it is possible. The report of the incident came from a CNN reporter. And I can see CNN blocking it as they were known as the Clinton News Network during the election cycle, and one of their reporters was feeding Hillary questions ahead of debates. And if I would have mentioned it, I would have used the term 'rumor' just as I did in the comment about 3 million illegals voting.

Also this one from the same website as your link: BOMBSHELL: BARACK OBAMA CONCLUSIVELY OUTED AS CIA CREATION

Could this be possible?

I believe it is possible. The report of the incident came from a CNN reporter.

Nope - the solitary 'claim' that it came from a CNN reporter is from one fantastically wingnutty source - Todd Kincannon. Nothing to support this claim of course.

• Advertisement

Nope - the solitary 'claim' that it came from a CNN reporter is from one fantastically wingnutty source - Todd Kincannon. Nothing to support this claim of course.
    So it is possibly just a 'rumor' then from a entity that does provide news?

Advertisement