Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painter looking for more money.

Options
  • 11-11-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hired a painter to do our kitchen/diner, sitting room and hall strairs & landing. He quoted us a price which we went for. This price was excluding the paint. It now transpires that the kitchen/diner requires three coats and he was obviously assuming it would only take two. As a result he's looking for an extra 100. This was never mentioned to us as a possibility, surely a professional painter would encounter this regularly and thus should flag the possibility at the outset. Do you think he's chancing his arm or am I being unreasonable ?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Well if it deserves another coat.That means more paint and more labour.Your options are clear,leave it at 2 coats and pay what he quoted or pay the extra money to have it done properly.Its not possible to tell sometimes how many coats will be needed,regardless of his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Who provided the paint?
    If painter provided the paint and selected brand etc then it's down to him. If you provided paint and selected brand etc then it's down to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Could depend on brand of paint- if you used a cheaper paint for example it will need an extra coat. Sometimes quality of paint can vary between batches and you'd end up needing am extra coat. Can you negotiate a compromised price?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

magentis wrote:
    Well if it deserves another coat.That means more paint and more labour.Your options are clear,leave it at 2 coats and pay what he quoted or pay the extra money to have it done properly.Its not possible to tell sometimes how many coats will be needed,regardless of his experience.

As I said the price did not include the paint. We supplied that , so he's not out of pocket there..... I appreciate it means more labour , but he never informed us that three coats was a possibility and when it transpired it needed a third he did it without informing us that it would be any extra. The three coats are already done and only now is he telling us it's gonna cost extra.

We provided the paint - Johnstones.

• Advertisement

We provided the paint - Johnstones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

cathalj wrote: »
    As I said the price did not include the paint. We supplied that , so he's not out of pocket there..... I appreciate it means more labour , but he never informed us that three coats was a possibility and when it transpired it needed a third he did it without informing us that it would be any extra. The three coats are already done and only now is he telling us it's gonna cost extra.

Well if he did put on the 3 coats and he did a good job, pay the man.

Thanks for all the feedback

Donal55 wrote:
    Well if he did put on the 3 coats and he did a good job, pay the man.

I understand your point , but I wouldn't expect a mechanic or builder etc to carry out extra unforeseen work without clearing the extra cost with me beforehand. Don't wanna be taken for a ride .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It would have taken him extra time so it's fair that you pay him for the time. If it needed the extra coat it needed it, you'd be unhappy if he'd left it at 2 coats and it was patchy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It would have taken him extra time so it's fair that you pay him for the time. If it needed the extra coat it needed it, you'd be unhappy if he'd left it at 2 coats and it was patchy too.

The guy still should have mentioned it before doing the work at least the OP would have had the opportunity to make a decision either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Did you or any family member see him actually put 3 coats on the wall? Im assuming not as you would have discussed this before, What was the color previous and now that it needed 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

If no one witnessed it he's more likely chancing his arm, he did it for a price he should have informed you. I'm not qualified but did fair bit of painting and never used 3 coats unless changing really dark to bright

brendan86 wrote:
    If no one witnessed it he's more likely chancing his arm, he did it for a price he should have informed you. I'm not qualified but did fair bit of painting and never used 3 coats unless changing really dark to bright

Ah no, in fairness to him he definitely did three coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

cathalj wrote:
    I understand your point , but I wouldn't expect a mechanic or builder etc to carry out extra unforeseen work without clearing the extra cost with me beforehand. Don't wanna be taken for a ride .

How long did it take him to do the overall job did you base payment on getting job completed and taking X number of days ? Or had he to stay an extra day or anything to do the work ?

Often times a mechanic will find something else that is wrong when working on job and some of the time if the job is a repair and it's internal in the engine he ll only be able to give you a guide price.

If he has done a good job and hasn't charged you an arm and a leg you could split it 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I'd say it's his misjudgement his problem. Tell him he got the job cause he was 100 cheaper than the other quotes you got.
    On the other hand if he did a good job and you had a good experience other than the €100 request maybe you should pay him cause you may use him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

NATLOR wrote: »
    The guy still should have mentioned it before doing the work at least the OP would have had the opportunity to make a decision either way

That's a fair point. I think if he was chancing his arm he'd say it about the whole house rather than one room though.

How much was the total before op?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

If you're happy with the job tell him you'll give him a 50 , if he put in extra work he's entitled to it , if he didn't give it a 3rd coat would you pay him for what he done even though it wouldn't be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

cathalj wrote:

He's entitled to be paid so in my opinion

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 46 Rhaegal

I'm with the OP, it should have been at least discussed before applying the third coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I presume you just hired him to do the job, and neither he nor you specified two coats.

You're under no obligation to pay him. You agreed a price, he can't change the terms now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

These things happen, Op.
    All too often unforeseen elements can pop up. He thought two coats would do the job. He was incorrect.
    For what it's worth it doesn't sound like he is trying to rip you off. A more unscrupulous person would have applied the third coat without asking then claim you owe him the extra money. But he left the choice with you if you want a third coat or not.

Just make a decision about the two rooms. If you are happy with the two coats then pay him the agreed price. If you feel they really could do with the extra coat, well hammer out the extra deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

I've had problems with the walls at home, used 2 coats of farrow and ball and due to the nature of the walls, needed an extra coat in some rooms. Likewise, had painters in and whatever the previous owner put on ceilings, the painter had a horrible job to give us a decent finish, it required a huge amount of effort on his part.

It's a regular occurrence and in most cases unforeseen.

These things happen, Op. All too often unforeseen elements can pop up. He thought two coats would do the job. He was incorrect. For what it's worth it doesn't sound like he is trying to rip you off. A more unscrupulous person would have applied the third coat without asking then claim you owe him the extra money. But he left the choice with you if you want a third coat or not.

No , his employee did the third coat today and this evening he texted to say that would cost extra , after the job had been done.

We agreed a price to paint the room , didn't agree a price per day /hour etc.
    And we decided to go with him based on that price and our budget etc.

In fairness to him I believe he just misquoted and with that in mind I think it's fair if we meet in the middle, 50/50.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

All too often unforeseen elements can pop up. He thought two coats would do the job. He was incorrect.
    For what it's worth it doesn't sound like he is trying to rip you off. A more unscrupulous person would have applied the third coat without asking then claim you owe him the extra money.
    Isn't that exactly what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

TheChizler wrote: »

It read to me that the 3rd coat is not done yet.

OP if you want a third coat pay the man. Two coats should usually do and, after all, you picked the make and colour of paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

If he quoted a price for a job, did the job then came back looking for more money because it was more effort than he thought it would be then that's his fault.

I wouldn't be paying extra on top of what was already agreed on for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

TheChizler wrote: »

I know what you mean.
    The original first post is very clear and says two coats were applied and the painter was saying it needed a third.

Then op said:

Which I assume is a mistake (as in they meant to type two) In any case the first post offers the most detail so I just went by that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

In fairness Johnstowns paint is $hite in my opinion, some colours may take that extra coat. But he should of told you before he did 3rd and final coat and agreed the extra.

I was asked one time to paint a sitting room when I was going through my apprenticeship. I told clients that their sitting room would take more than one coat, they disagreed with me. As you can guess it did need 2 coats, I put first coat on and they looked at me with ten heads, I couldn't leave walls like it was so just ran in another coat as it didn't take that long. Still got paid the same.

Sorry I'm rambling, my point is the painter should of told you, agreed the extra cost. Because now he will probably loose return custom over an extra 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

No , his employee did the third coat today and this evening he texted to say that would cost extra , after the job had been done.

We agreed a price to paint the room , didn't agree a price per day /hour etc.
    And we decided to go with him based on that price and our budget etc.

In fairness to him I believe he just misquoted and with that in mind I think it's fair if we meet in the middle, 50/50.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I think that's a bit harsh. Might it not be he case he's conscientious, wanted to get a good job done before he leaves and that's how the job panned out.

It's unfortunate we think the worst of people without understanding fully the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I know what you mean.
    The original first post is very clear and says two coats were applied and the painter was saying it needed a third.

Then op said:

Which I assume is a mistake (as in they meant to type two) In any case the first post offers the most detail so I just went by that :p

Post at 22:38 says he did a third coat.

Advertisement