Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painter looking for more money.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It read to me that the 3rd coat is not done yet.

OP if you want a third coat pay the man. Two coats should usually do and, after all, you picked the make and colour of paint.

The third coat was done with no consultation with the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I know what you mean.
    The original first post is very clear and says two coats were applied and the painter was saying it needed a third.

Then op said:

Which I assume is a mistake (as in they meant to type two) In any case the first post offers the most detail so I just went by that :p

What exactly are you reading ? The OP doesn't say anywhere that two coats were applied and the painter was saying it needed a third. It only mentions a third coat because the painter is asking more for doing it. And his second post clarifies the painter applied the third coat without telling them:
    but he never informed us that three coats was a possibility and when it transpired it needed a third he did it without informing us that it would be any extra.

Regardless of the outcome I think the painter hasn't done himself any favours,its a business,in my experience, that to some extent relies on word of mouth and I imagine the OP would be very reluctant to recommend him to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

100 seems like a lot. Our painter charges that per day so unless you have a massive kitchen/diner which took a few hours to paint, I wouldn't give him the full amount requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Post at 22:38 says he did a third coat.

I posted my first comment at 22.26 then I noticed the post by TheChizler (who quoted me) so I got back to that. didn't notice in the mean time the op replied back to my message (before thechizler). No biggie.

Let me look at this again tho :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ghekko wrote:
    100 seems like a lot. Our painter charges that per day so unless you have a massive kitchen/diner which took a few hours to paint, I wouldn't give him the full amount requested.

A qualified painter ( not on the dole) gets around 200 Euro plus vat per day.

I posted my first comment at 22.26 then I noticed the post by TheChizler (who quoted me) so I got back to that. didn't notice in the mean time the op replied back to my message (before thechizler). No biggie.

Post 5 is pretty clear :)

You seem to have missed the entire first page of the discussion....

cathalj wrote: »
    Hired a painter to do our kitchen/diner, sitting room and hall strairs & landing. He quoted us a price which we went for. This price was excluding the paint. It now transpires that the kitchen/diner requires three coats and he was obviously assuming it would only take two. As a result he's looking for an extra 100. This was never mentioned to us as a possibility, surely a professional painter would encounter this regularly and thus should flag the possibility at the outset. Do you think he's chancing his arm or am I being unreasonable ?
    Any advice appreciated.
    As I said the price did not include the paint. We supplied that , so he's not out of pocket there..... I appreciate it means more labour , but he never informed us that three coats was a possibility and when it transpired it needed a third he did it without informing us that it would be any extra. The three coats are already done and only now is he telling us it's gonna cost extra.
    Thanks for all the feedback

I understand your point , but I wouldn't expect a mechanic or builder etc to carry out extra unforeseen work without clearing the extra cost with me beforehand. Don't wanna be taken for a ride .
    Ah no, in fairness to him he definitely did three coats.

No , his employee did the third coat today and this evening he texted to say that would cost extra , after the job had been done.

We agreed a price to paint the room , didn't agree a price per day /hour etc.
    And we decided to go with him based on that price and our budget etc.

In fairness to him I believe he just misquoted and with that in mind I think it's fair if we meet in the middle, 50/50.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Hi op,
    Sorry your first post made it sound like the third coat wasn't applied. My bad. But hmm.... yeah I can see your problem. Ironically enough I said it would be unscrupulous of him if he did that :pac:

But knowing what you said.... yeah meet in the middle. Just because he said 100 doesnt make it 100. He really should have ran it by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

NATLOR wrote: »
    Regardless of the outcome I think the painter hasn't done himself any favours,its a business,in my experience, that to some extent relies on word of mouth and I imagine the OP would be very reluctant to recommend him to anyone.

Agreed with this totally. For sake of 100 euro I doubt he will get a call back for future business.

• Advertisement

You seem to have missed the entire first page of the discussion....

See my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭denismc

We recently had our house painted and the job required extra coats/ paint. We were happy to pay the extra to ensure a good job.
    I know from doing my own painting it can be hard to estimate how much paint or work will be required.
    Like someone else mentioned, the quality of the paint will be a factor in how many coats are required, I always get paint mixed.
    If you are not happy ask to split the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Unless its a huge kitchen l agree with the poster who said €100 is too much for an extra coat of paint on the walls.

Out of curiosity what colour was originally on the kitchen walls and what colour is the new paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Could depend on brand of paint- if you used a cheaper paint for example it will need an extra coat.

There are many cheap paints that offer great opacity. Some of the cheap ceiling paints look bulletproof after two coats because they have a filler-like compound mixed through the paint. However that results in a dried surface that will be chalky to the touch and it will have an ugly looking finish.

Compare that to some of the more upmarket paints like Colortrend. That paint has great coverage but it can be tricky getting it to cut into the ceiling with two coats, especially with deeper colours. I've been on my many jobs where I've priced for two coats but the cutting-in let me down. And again, irony of ironies, it's the expensive paint that won't 'touch up' easily. So you have to re-coat entire walls to avoid flashing (a rather ugly defect resulting from the light catching the paint differently).

I'm a qualified painter (although I ultimately switched careers) and you simply would not believe the near endless amount of complications that can arise when painting out a room.

Professional decorating is a very misunderstood profession. To work at the very top of the trade (high-quality refurbs, period work, etc.) you need a lot of knowledge about various substrates and the relevant materials. Things go wrong all the time and it's not necessarily anyone's 'fault'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

This thread is full of painters by the reading and cowboys at that. If you pay the €100 you are giving away free money. He's no different than those windscreen washers at traffic lights.

I appreciate that not everyone can afford to pay professional rates, but they still require the services of a 'painter'. However if you're paying €100 a day then you should temper your expectations accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Pickpocket wrote:
    I appreciate that not everyone can afford to pay professional rates, but they still require the services of a 'painter'. However if you're paying €100 a day then you should temper your expectations accordingly.

Nowhere in this thread did I say I was paying 100 a day , indeed I have clearly specified that an amount was agreed for the job and not for a daily rate.....maybe you should fully read the thread and amend your comments according

Nowhere in this thread did I say I was paying 100 a day , indeed I have clearly specified that an amount was agreed for the job and not for a daily rate.....maybe you should fully read the thread and amend your comments according

I was referring to Ghekko's comment above.

Threads evolve. Not every comment will relate specifically to the OP. Familiarise yourself with how discussion forums work and act accordingly.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I was referring to Ghekko's comment above.

Threads evolve. Not every comment will relate specifically to the OP. Familiarise yourself with how discussion forums work and act accordingly.

Usually when referring to a particular comment on a different page of the thread and not the actual topic of the thread people quote it. Otherwise it's just a random off topic post.

But I'm sure you know that, being so familiar with how discussion forums work and all....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

pickpocket , sounds like you have an apt name and used to ripping people off! The OP agreed a price that the painter stated and is well within his rights to question a now higher price for the same job that he was quoted. Admiral that he is happy to meet halfway, you don't go in to a shop and pick up a product for a listed price only to be asked for more money at the till ?? Sounds like your one of those cowboys that give a price and then try squeeze more out depending on the customer and how gullible they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Syndic

If he initially thought the job would take three coats and gave you a quote to reflect this, but it only took two would he take 100 euro off the price? I seriously doubt it.

The OP should pay the agreed price and the painter should chalk it up to experience.

Usually when referring to a particular comment on a different page of the thread and not the actual topic of the thread people quote it. Otherwise it's just a random off topic post.

But I'm sure you know that, being so familiar with how discussion forums work and all....

I initially quoted the wrong post, made the correction, but never went back to find Ghekko's post as I'm on a mobile and the copy/paste is a bit fiddly. My mistake. Duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

no bother maybe lay off the sherry

mcginty28 wrote: »
    pickpocket , sounds like you have an apt name and used to ripping people off!

No, I only ever charged per hour, the industry rates. I didn't think it was too much to ask for having committed myself to four years of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Quote: cathalj
    No , his employee did the third coat today and this evening he texted to say that would cost extra , after the job had been done.

In fairness to him I believe he just misquoted and with that in mind I think it's fair if we meet in the middle, 50/50.

End, QUOTE.

Jeez, just pay the man ffs.

He had an employee doing the job, with your iffy paint. They did 3 coats, so that's actually a better job than he quoted for. If he had been painting it himself I'd agree that ideally he should have of course contacted you to agree a rate for applying the required 3rd coat. But he had an employee doing it, who in all probability just wanted to do the best job possible. Pay them and stop being so mean. That's my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

daithi7 wrote: »
    Quote: cathalj

End, QUOTE.

Jeez, just pay the man ffs.

He had an employee doing the job, with your iffy paint. They did 3 coats, so that's actually a better job than he quoted for. If he had been painting it himself I'd agree that ideally he should have of course contacted you to agree a rate for applying the required 3rd coat. But he had an employee doing it, who in all probability just wanted to do the best job possible. Pay them and stop being so mean. That's my advice.

Where does it state the employer was not on the job doing the first 2 coats? It be a start if you read thread without just telling op to hand over a extra 100 when the guy priced his job. The op only said the employee did 3rd coat next morning on his own.

He priced the job, he should learn from his lesson and move on and price the next adjust his pricing for next job. If he can only work with a certain paint he should advise the customer wat brand he wants for job previous..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

brendan86 wrote: »
    Where does it state the employer was not on the job doing the first 2 coats?

It be a start if you read thread without just telling op to hand over a extra 100 when the guy priced his job. .....

Where does it say he was on the job doing the first 2 coats!?

Perhaps, it would be an even better start if you heeded your own very bad mannered advice and actually read the thread and post and applied the same standards of diligence to your posts that you so adamantly demand of others.

Oh by the way, I gave my advice and I stated it as such.

And so fwiw, my advice now to you is to enlist in some deductive thinking, simple grammar, spelling and common courtesy courses. You're coming from such a low base on those skills there that it could do wonders for you imho.

P.s. btw Make sure you get 3 'coats' of each course for the price of 2, cos that's just their 'learning experience' isn't it!?

P.p.s. for this, there is no charge :) YOU'RE WELCOME!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭worded

Pride in your work and making a living. I'm not a painter but it seems
    Some people posting don't respect the trade.

It's the conflict of paid by the day - the customer cuts cloth to measure but if quote by the job, the painter takes a huge risk for the unforeseen genuine problems

To quote the life of Brian I think, a fair days pay for a fair days work.
    Then again should they haggle for the gourd ? :-)

I would offer 50% and probably pay the 100 if happy with
    The job. He isn't going to retire on it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Some of the posters and thankers on this thread are unbelievable.

the painter needs to suck it up, he fecked up with his pricing, OP gave him the job based on his quote. If he is any good of a painter it's swings and roundabouts and another job will take less time where I doubt he'll be rushing to give a refund back. Unless of course his plan is to underquote on all jobs

It's basic common courtesy to request approval before going beyond a quoted price. If it was another trade (e.g. A restaurant charging more because the steak took longer to cook and only informed you after you ate it) there would be an outcry

And the €100 for another coat is expensive, a lot of the pain (travel, masking, moving furniture, removing masking) is not part of an additional coat of paint. I'm also going to make a huge assumption and say he had an apprentice do the job (as he didn't do himself) so he was still trying to profit from his price feck up by not even charging cost price

Based on all of the above I'd probably do what the OP did and pay €50 just to close the case and move on. However as a consequence and highlighting the shortsightedness and amateurism of the painter i would never recommend this painter to anyone or use them again.

Ultimately trade people should aim to please their customers and give them a pleasant experience, this is even more relevant for painters as happy customers are likely to be easy and profitable customers for life (you are familiar with their home, no quote visits needed) and provide new customers via word of mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He's entitled to be paid so in my opinion

How do you figure this?
    An agreement was struck for 2 coats at a certain price.
    You can't just change the terms and demand more money without further agreement.
    Suppose he decided he'd paint a bedroom while he was at it. It wasn't agreed on, he just felt like doing it and increasing his fee without any discussion. Would he still be entitled to payment for it?

Advertisement