Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PX Ireland V UK

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They're 2 different companies as far as I know. Planet X ireland, probably paid for a lot of their stock well before the £ crashed to it's current rate too. Planet X UK have just got themselves a shiny new warehouse and can bulk buy.

Planet X UK have the rather annoying habit of pretending to have sales on. They say 25% off with xxxx code, when in fact the day before it was cheaper without a code, but they've gone and upped the list price.

That said, I did get my last bike from them, but it was a one off, that only they were selling. NOS frame, built up with good components and priced to sell quickly due to their warehouse move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yup, seems like two different companies selling the same branded equipment. If buying online I'd go with the UK site.
    I have been to the shop in Athlone once recently and the staff member I was dealing with was very helpful and didn't try the hard sell you get in so many other shops so didn't mind paying extra for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Plenty on Boards over the years written about "Planet X" Athlone. They seem to be an authorised reseller as opposed to a different company. I bought a bike through them a few years ago. Inordinate delays, wrong spec, over priced, bad customer service, any problems with a warranty and you'll have to go through the UK branch anyway - or at least I did at the time.

Na'er again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »
    Plenty on Boards over the years written about "Planet X" Athlone. They seem to be an authorised reseller as opposed to a different company. I bought a bike through them a few years ago. Inordinate delays, wrong spec, over priced, bad customer service, any problems with a warranty and you'll have to go through the UK branch anyway - or at least I did at the time.

Na'er again.

An' doan choo ever let em fergit it!! :D

(maybe it's time you buried your PX dot ie hatchet Plastik :) Everybody deserves a second chance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

They don't deserve a 2nd chance.

Your warranty is with the retailer - so PX ireland, not fobbing you off with PX uk

Over a year ago it was cheaper for me to buy a PX London Road with rival 22 HRD inc shipping from the UK than buy the same spec bike except it had mechanical brakes from the irish crew.

Brand has gone to pot over the last 2-3 years, customer service is pretty bad and Qc levels have dropped through the floor.

I've bought a lot of PX stuff through the years but no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

I bought my bike from Px Athlone as I was using bike to work and only certain shops my company permitted. They charged me 100 extra for the bike to work scheme and said if I didnt like it tough.
    Wouldnt deal with them again, would go straight to uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fixed links.
    seanin4711 wrote: »
    huge difference in pricing!
    http://planetxireland.com/products-page/ec-130-e/planet-x-ec-130-e-rivet-rider-shimano-ultegra-6800-aero-road-bike/

2899€

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRRULT/planet-x-ec130e-shimano-ultegra-6800-aero-road-bike

1499gbp = 1740.93 Euro

thats a whopping difference of over a grand?
    why wouldnt i buy UK?
    need to get in the ballpark!

The UK one is 25% off if you believe the "Was £1,999.99".

The exchange rate was €1.42 at the start of the year, it's now €1.16.

At 1.42 the 2k -> €2840.

So this could be a combined effect of a sale price not applied in Ireland and the Brexit effect on exchange rates.

The answer to your question "why wouldnt i buy UK?" is of course "you would", and so will a lot of their other potential customers, but maybe not all. They're presumably still competitive with other bricks and mortar shops whose prices were set at the start of the year too.

Maybe sales are good enough that they reckon they can clear the existing stock without dropping prices.

It'll be interesting to see how the distributors and shops react to the change in exchange rates for next year.

There's another way to look at this: temporary bargains from the UK. We had this a few years ago when the pound almost dropped to parity. I got a good hack single speed commuter bike for €270 from CRC and then ruined it by turning it into a monstercross. :pac:

Have you seen the thread on stw - PX uk put the prices up before the sale, so the 25% "off" brings the prices back down to where they were.

PX- Ireland were a rip off last year when the exchange rate was more favourable.

I am a pint half empty type lad tbf.

Have you seen the thread on stw - PX uk put the prices up before the sale, so the 25% "off" brings the prices back down to where they were.

PX- Ireland were a rip off last year when the exchange rate was more favourable.

I am a pint half empty type lad tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Lumen wrote: »
    Fixed links.

The UK one is 25% off if you believe the "Was £1,999.99".

The exchange rate was €1.42 at the start of the year, it's now €1.16.

At 1.42 the 2k -> €2840.

So this could be a combined effect of a sale price not applied in Ireland and the Brexit effect on exchange rates.

The answer to your question "why wouldnt i buy UK?" is of course "you would", and so will a lot of their other potential customers, but maybe not all. They're presumably still competitive with other bricks and mortar shops whose prices were set at the start of the year too.

Maybe sales are good enough that they reckon they can clear the existing stock without dropping prices.

It'll be interesting to see how the distributors and shops react to the change in exchange rates for next year.

There's another way to look at this: temporary bargains from the UK. We had this a few years ago when the pound almost dropped to parity. I got a good hack single speed commuter bike for €270 from CRC and then ruined it by turning it into a monstercross. :pac:

current exchange as of today though.#if PX ireland had their smarts on they would do a real sale to correspond with px uk on say 5 units of the above bike for 24hours .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

seanin4711 wrote: »
    current exchange as of today though.#if PX ireland had their smarts on they would do a real sale to correspond with px uk on say 5 units of the above bike for 24hours .

But they likely bought it at an exchange of 1.3 or thereabouts. They'd be taking quite the hit, though I imagine still making a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Big sale in PX in Athlone at the moment. Lots of good bargains in kit, clothing and bikes. Got a few good bargains myself today

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Sounds like they have made a few mistakes in the past. But they are working hard sponsoring teams and events in Ireland.
    They are sponsoring the Navan cx league.
    A club mate recently snapped a chain before a navan cx race and they took a chain off one of their display bikes and put it on his bike free of charge.
    I think they deserve support.

Advertisement