Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving on cattle slats

Options
  • 11-11-2016 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a new Holland skid steer around 3.5 ton. Would it be safe driving on my cattle slats. They are around 20 year old but in good shape. There 4'6 wide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You've got good insurance, right ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Matty6270 wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a new Holland skid steer around 3.5 ton. Would it be safe driving on my cattle slats. They are around 20 year old but in good shape. There 4'6 wide

you could have 4 or 5 tonne on the front two wheels of that if you put a load on the forks

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Matty6270

So is it a big no no

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So is it a big no no
    Yes, if it goes down there's no way out better to be safe than sorry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are they 4'6 or 14'6 slats? Personally I wouldn't chance it, my heart is in my mouth driving the 110-90 across new slats to agitate. I put one wheel along the wall as much as possible though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are they 4'6 or 14'6 slats? Personally I wouldn't chance it, my heart is in my mouth driving the 110-90 across new slats to agitate. I put one wheel along the wall as much as possible though.

Drive loader on slatts here if cow down and tractor when agitating. I'd never dream of driving a skid steer on them. I know they're lighter but much shorter, narrower with high pressure tyres thus concentrating all its weight on a small footprint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

To do what, are you carrying 1/2 ton of silage up front. Theres a 10ft slatted passage here that I have to go onto occasionally, but I'm carrying nothing. Have you checked the weight of the skid steer, I've a NH aswell, but I would have thought around 2 & 1/2 ton.
    Still I wouldn't recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

When I went to ag college they said to us that with machinery you'd be better off to always be a bit afraid than have no fear, how true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Slats can take 6-7 tons no bother. Even if one did fail it's unlikely it would fail completely go down into the tank and take you with it. Never heard of that happening to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Slats can take 6-7 tons no bother. Even if one did fail it's unlikely it would fail completely go down into the tank and take you with it. Never heard of that happening to anybody.

Farming is already the most dangerous industry in Ireland, more risk takers is not what it needs.

20 year old slats that most likely weren't tractor spec when new are not the sort of thing to be bringing a skid steer onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

20 years old I wouldn't be so confident. We drive on tractor slats but as keepgrowing said the weight in a tractor or loader wheel is more dispersed than a skidsteer and generally part of tractor wouldn't be on the slats. have heard of slats breaking under cattle not a mind machinery

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was in the pen full of heavy bulls a while back and I could feel them deflecting big time as they walked around.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭50HX

had a neighbour that woke up one morning to find 3 bullocks down in the tanks, a slat had completley snapped in 2 and he lost the 3 of them

there is a reason you have cattle and tractor slats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Are they 4'6 or 14'6 slats?

Would they be 4' 6" wide gang slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I was in the pen full of heavy bulls a while back and I could feel them deflecting big time as they walked around.

The bouncy slats might have been the least of Your worries

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Them Thar Hills

I drive a international 885 L cab & 1000 gallon slurry tank on my slats when mixing spreading the slurry 😊

Advertisement