Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Monitors

Options
  • 11-11-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a couple of monitors for my job as a software engineer. I've got a 17" laptop and I'll want to put a 24" - 26" screen alongside it. Plus I want to get an additional one for home working, surfing and movie watching.

I'm hoping to get each monitor for no more than €170 each. Hoping that the black friday sales too will give me a good bit of discount.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Get a 27" 1440p screen for work and a 24" 1080p for home. The 1080p should run you about 130 or so, the 1440p about 200, but it'll be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any recommendations for brands or specs? I was looking at a colleagues 27" and felt it was a bit on the big side for the office.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've a 24 inch hp Ips at home which I find good got it for 200 recently

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Dell P2414H (without stand) 89pounds: https://www.nrgit.biz/products/dell-p2414h-wost-24-inch-monitor-without-a-stand

With stand and better warranty 129pounds:https://www.nrgit.biz/products/dell-p2414h-24-inch-ips-monitor

Both available at the time of posting.

Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

@DigitalSolitude Can you get 1440p for ~200 without ordering from Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're a dev then go vertical. Its wayyyy better for IDEs.

main-qimg-7eaaf377a05e254de5c0cd6ebb100a0e-c?convert_to_webp=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

@DigitalSolitude Can you get 1440p for ~200 without ordering from Korea?

http://geizhals.de/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=5137_2560x1440&sort=p

Closer to 300 than I remembered

Hi, been reading up a bit. I think that a 24" should be suitable sizewise for my office. I'd probably want something with a VESA mounting as if I opt for a pair I could mount them on a single stand, but thats in the distant future!

As I use a monitor all day at work, I think I should be getting something with a blue light filter - do most of them come with that now and are they worthwhile pursuing? Matt screen.

Anything specifically to look out for with the 27" versions?

Apart from https://www.nrgit.biz, as there any other good places to get refurbed monitors?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have a look at the S24E450DL ? Think they're around the €200 mark, though.
    I'm looking to purchase a couple of monitors for my job as a software engineer.
    As it's for the job, can you do anything regarding the tax?
    I've got a 17" laptop
    Have you a docking station?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Two 27 one side one vertical and laptop on the side as 3rd monitor.

This is how it should be done.

Productivity

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    As it's for the job, can you do anything regarding the tax?
    Yeah, I can get the tax back.
    Have you a docking station?
    Nope. It is clients laptop. None provided.

Is 1080 pointless at 27"? I've seen a number of 27" screens sub £200 @ 1080. My understanding is that you get more 'real estate' (web article terminology, not mine!) plus that vertical viewing might not look great @ 1080.

I've seen a few 27" screens and the more I think about it, the more I think these might be a better long term option.

As was previously pointed out, I would required the ability to pivot the screen(s) - at least one anyway if I was buying a pair.

I could opt for two Dell P2414H as noted by a poster above for £74 each excluding the code of stands. However, having not worked with dual monitors before, I wonder if not opting for 27" at this stage would leave me regretting it at a later time?

As my parents are building a house at the minute, there might be a need to purchase a few screens at a later date: 1-2 Tv screens, laptop & monitor or All-in-One plus the monitors I require.

I'm thinking that it might be a better option to put out a few tenders to see what I can get from suppliers. Is this a done thing or am I wide of the mark in thinking people will quote for these amounts of stuff? Potentially, I still might be better going refurbished for the monitors.

Any advice appreciated. Getting a bit confused now looking at specs etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Is 1080 pointless at 27"? I've seen a number of 27" screens sub £200 @ 1080. My understanding is that you get more 'real estate' (web article terminology, not mine!) plus that vertical viewing might not look great @ 1080.

I've been using a 27 inch 1080p for the last four or five years. It's alright though now it's available at a reasonable price, I'd recommend going 1440p at 27 inch these days (I'm debating upgrading now myself).

For screen real estate, monitor size is less important than having a reasonable PPI. I find my 27 inch screen actually feels a little cramped these days.

Portrait orientation works reasonably well for reading text though PPI is pretty low which can make some fonts look a little iffy.
    As was previously pointed out, I would required the ability to pivot the screen(s) - at least one anyway if I was buying a pair.

So, if you're vesa mounting a pair of 27 inch screens, I'd check your clearances on the vesa mount carefully. It's a pain to find you don't have the room to rotate a screen without removing the other one.

If you're going for an arm, I'd also check the movement ranges carefully (especially height from desk in each position). It's a pain to find out you can't get a nice clean perpendicular position for your screen when it's in portrait - and a lot of otherwise great arms end up with bad viewing angles for screens this big.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah, I can get the tax back.
    May allow you to get more bang for your buck, then.
    Nope. It is clients laptop. None provided.
    Maybe look into getting one new, or on ebay? Purely to make it easier to hook up multiple monitors.

Oh, and FYI, if it's Dell, although two DVI mostly work, the odd docking station will cause flickering with one screen; one DVI and one VGA fixes this. Something to do with the power some adaptors supply, whilst others give slightly less.

I was previously looking for these screens, but when the job changed (contract got terminated, then tken on for a different client) I decided to hold off until I seen how it would stabilise. Things are looking okay now, so I've decided that I need this in place for winter working from home instead of commuting through the bad weather.

Unfortunately I can't get the P2414H anymore.

Just want some confirmation here before I make a purchase.

For monitors (Dell) the ability to view them in portrait style is dependant only on them having a VESA mount (75 or 100) and that mount being able to rotate the screen by 90 degrees.

I'm looking to purchase two P2714H or U2414H screens for home working.

The P version has:
    24" IPS Widescreen LED
    Full HD 1920 x 1080 Resolution
    Display Port, HDMI, VGA, USB 2.0 & 3.0
    Swivel, Tilt, Height & Pivot Adjustment
    1000:1 Contrast Ratio

The U version has:
    24" WLED 16:9 Aspect
    1920x1080 Resolution
    Ultra thin bezel
    Display Port, HDMI & Mini Display Port
    Swivel, Tilt, Height, Pivot Adjustment

Both seems to rotate +/- 90deg. The P is £120 exc VAT whereas the U is £140 exc VAT. (I can claim VAT back, so not a problem).

I think that for my work 2 x 24" monitors would be more than adequate compared to 27" screens.

Any recommendations between the two - I'm slightly leaning to the U2414H?
    Or another cheaper alternative?

I've looked about but not seen much - I've got no brand loyalty, so would be willing to look at other manufacturers.

Was looking at this one new (stand does not appear to allow rotation though):
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-i2490vxq-full-hd-23-8-ips-lcd-monitor-black-10165269-pdt.html

Also, for a dual screen setup is a dual monitor stand a wise investment or are two separate stands adequate?

Thanks - and apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead - I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

Actually I've just been re-reading the specs of these machines and I noticed Dell Easy Arrange.
    Would this be better in that it would give me what I want with only one screen?

I was looking at S2817Q which has 3840 x 2160 resolution - with Easy Arrange would this be better (or worse) than a 2 screen alternative.
    Downside would be that if the screen fails on the big screen, then it is totally out. Whereas with a dual option, there is still a working screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Actually I've just been re-reading the specs of these machines and I noticed Dell Easy Arrange.
    Would this be better in that it would give me what I want with only one screen?

I was looking at S2817Q which has 3840 x 2160 resolution - with Easy Arrange would this be better (or worse) than a 2 screen alternative.
    Downside would be that if the screen fails on the big screen, then it is totally out. Whereas with a dual option, there is still a working screen.

How good is your eyesight? to get advantage of the 4K resolution you will have to leave the text tiny, which it will be on a 28". If you have to change the scaling to make the text bigger, then it might well be a waste. But a lot of it will be dependant on the work you are doing. If it is coding I probably wouldn't

Okay - sounds like 2x U2414U is the solution then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

For coding probably yes, as having text easily readable is obviously paramount.

I would go with individual desk mounts as oppose to a single dual monitor stand, cause unless you spend a fortune getting one with big enough arms to actually move the monitors into your preferred position isn't easy

2 of these will do the job well

Advertisement