Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf brakes squeal in reverse

• 11-11-2016 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have this issue? Squealing reversing out of the driveway. Brake pads look like they've plenty of life left and there is no noise going forward.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Yep, exact same issue. Brake pads were checked last week at a service, they've got plenty of time left in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Same here...

Yep was pissin me off this morning. I think it's mainly down to the fact the pads are far less used than on an ICE.

If someone finds a cure let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm wondering how much less are they used too? Anyone had to change brake pads yet?

No, not at nearly 54,000 Kms.

I would expect the rear pads to last beyond 200,000 kms. there's no noticeable wear on mine front or rear. Even the disks have only a minuscule amount of wear.

When the Leaf is charged to 100% it won't have full 30 Kw regen until below 80% so if you do lots of town driving you might wear the pads and disks out faster. If the battery is very cold you won't get full regen either and all this will put more usage on the pads/disks.

If you do a lot of town driving and don't need 100% charge charging to 80% and you will get more regen rather than loose most of the available regen energy through friction and it's easier on the brakes.

• Advertisement

No, not me yet at nearly 54,000 Kms.

I would expect the rear pads to last beyond 200,000 kms. there's no noticeable wear on mine front or rear. Even the disks have only a minuscule amount of wear.

When the Leaf is charged to 100% it won't have full 30 Kw regen until below 80% so if you do lots of town driving you might wear the pads and disks out faster. If the battery is very cold you won't get full regen either and all this will put more usage on the pads/disks.

If you do a lot of town driving and don't need 100% charge charging to 80% and you will get more regen rather than loose most of the available regen energy through friction and it's easier on the brakes.

Herself tends to not be arsed about anticipating traffic and just stomps on the brake pedal willy nilly. She doesn't use 5th gear in a manual without being reminded so there's no hope of her using B in the Leaf without me in the passenger seat. I expect the brake pads won't last as long as they should...

Depending on the pressure on the brake pedal it will use the friction brakes for a split second only the revert solely to regen . B is really only designed for long hilly descents for which it works very well.

In regular D does the same as B when you press the brake pedal unless of course you need more braking than regen can provide or go over a bump then regen is cut and doesn't come back again until you lift off the brakes and press it again.

Some people like more one pedal driving in B.

As the battery ages you will not get max regen or charging speed at the fast charger.

Depending on the pressure on the brake pedal it will use the friction brakes for a split second only the revert solely to regen . B is really only designed for long hilly descents for which it works very well.

In regular D does the same as B when you press the brake pedal unless of course you need more braking than regen can provide or go over a bump then regen is cut and doesn't come back again until you lift off the brakes and press it again.

Some people like more one pedal driving in B.

As the battery ages you will not get max regen or charging speed at the fast charger.

We've a few hills where we live and lots and lots of traffic lights. I'm used to lifting off the accelerator as I see a red light ahead and letting the regen drag the car to a stop. The Civic IMA drags more than the Leaf in D, they're comparable in B mode.

• Advertisement

If anyone hasn't noticed yet you can get variable regen in B mode by adjusting the throttle position, just lift your foot off a bit and you get more regen press it a bit and you get less, at the right position you get neutral and coast which is more efficient, use only the energy you need.

So you can get the regen you need rather than all or nothing. Remember regen isn't efficient and recovers only about 30% of the used energy the rest is lost due to friction, tyres, wind etc.

If anyone hasn't noticed yet you can get variable regen in B mode by adjusting the throttle position, just lift your foot off a bit and you get more regen press it a bit and you get less, at the right position you get neutral and coast which is more efficient, use only the energy you need.

So you can get the regen you need rather than all or nothing. Remember regen isn't efficient and recovers only about 30% of the used energy the rest is lost due to friction, tyres, wind etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes, my Leaf frequently squeals very loudly when reversing out of a spot, even after only sitting for a few hours. Never heard the like of it on another car. It's pretty embarrassing TBH.

Thanks all. Conclusion so is that the squealing in reverse is something to just put up with.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Thanks all. Conclusion so is that the squealing in reverse is something to just put up with.

Pretty much yeah. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

It might just be me but it seems more noticeable on a wet or damp morning. The lack of engine noise probably makes it seem a lot louder than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just think of Fianna Fail...... Going Forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Corrosion can cause a number of issues with the rear discs on the 3rd gen Prius due to their similar lack of use, especially in areas where the roads are salted a lot (e.g. UK import). However, this is more likely to cause noise in both directions. It might be worth inspecting the rear discs and pads for uneven wear or significant corrosion.

I checked them all when I was rotating the tyres. The discs are in great nick, pads have signs of wear but still plenty left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I had same issue for many years, I went to Nissan garage but they said to ignore it. When I was selling car at over 100k break pads were still in excellent condition and did not require changing.

• Advertisement

Brake.... How hard is..Brake..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Sorry you're braking up there, I can barely hear you over the sounds of all the Leafs breaking

Breaker breaker one nine, looking for a copy.

The O'l spell checker playing tricks again. Think it needs a break ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

Herself tends to not be arsed about anticipating traffic and just stomps on the brake pedal willy nilly. She doesn't use 5th gear in a manual without being reminded so there's no hope of her using B in the Leaf without me in the passenger seat. I expect the brake pads won't last as long as they should...

get her a first gen - no be mode just regen all the time, but not as strong as b mode in the gen 1.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It took a while and a few post-it's on the dash , but SWMBO finally has the automatic habit now of two taps to go into forward. :)

Advertisement