Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche fee increase

Options
  • 12-11-2016 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

We received an e mail from our Creche recently saying they are increasing their fees by 90 euro a month starting February. We only have one daughter who has been in Creche for almost a year so have no benchmark as to whether this is normal. I am not that surprised that it increased but I am surprised at the amount. A 90 euro increase seems a lot and I think for many parents might make them start thinking of reducing their working hours. Has anybody had a similar increase lately?

The reason they gave was "operational costs" but they are not retaining experienced staff and I strongly suspect the new staff they hire are on lower wages as they are less experienced. Also I syspect their rent is less than market rate due to where they are renting. I do realise there are other costs such as insurance.

Also is there a universal subsidy coming in next year for children in childcare? If so does it go direct to the parents or does it go to the Creche who must pass on the subsidy? I have looked online but the info is not clear. I seem to remember something in the recent budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We received an e mail from our Creche recently saying they are increasing their fees by 90 euro a month starting February. We only have one daughter who has been in Creche for almost a year so have no benchmark as to whether this is normal. I am not that surprised that it increased but I am surprised at the amount. A 90 euro increase seems a lot and I think for many parents might make them start thinking of reducing their working hours. Has anybody had a similar increase lately?

The reason they gave was "operational costs" but they are not retaining experienced staff and I strongly suspect the new staff they hire are on lower wages as they are less experienced. Also I syspect their rent is less than market rate due to where they are renting. I do realise there are other costs such as insurance.

Also is there a universal subsidy coming in next year for children in childcare? If so does it go direct to the parents or does it go to the Creche who must pass on the subsidy? I have looked online but the info is not clear. I seem to remember something in the recent budget.

Plastic I have never used a creche so no experience on this ;)
    I don't think the universal payment will be in until September 2017. It is meant to be going straight to the creche but there was a lot of complaints over that so who knows??? The finer details are still getting ironed out I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Millem wrote: »
    Plastic I have never used a creche so no experience on this ;)
    I don't think the universal payment will be in until September 2017. It is meant to be going straight to the creche but there was a lot of complaints over that so who knows??? The finer details are still getting ironed out I think ;)

Thanks for the reply. I am even more annoyed now. So they are putting their fees up with the knowledge of this subsidy around the corner. Extremely frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Our fees went up 30 euro last month (my boy is part time) their reason was increased insurance costs, increased food costs and increased minimum wage. Sucks but it all made sense as all our costs are up in general.
    You can always shop around different creches to get an idea if their fees are in line with others. You may have been getting a good deal until now you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Thanks for the reply. I am even more annoyed now. So they are putting their fees up with the knowledge of this subsidy around the corner. Extremely frustrating

It's a joke. As soon as I heard about the subsidy I had a feeling this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Our fees went up 30 euro last month (my boy is part time) their reason was increased insurance costs, increased food costs and increased minimum wage. Sucks but it all made sense as all our costs are up in general.
    You can always shop around different creches to get an idea if their fees are in line with others. You may have been getting a good deal until now you never know!

I would accept a 30 or 40 euro increase without an real argument. 90 euro is taking the pee though in my opinion especially as the provider will benefit again in September.
    My fees are not any lower than fees in surrounding areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

A likely reason which they won't mention is the costs of complying with the new childcare regulations. Among other things, this means they need staff with recognised qualifications.

Advertisement