Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leadmines MTB Trails being destroyed :(

Options
  • 12-11-2016 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks, just said I'd let you know that the many of the Leadmines trails will be no more shortly - they are harvesting the trees and the trails are not protected.

I've grown to learn and really like the trails here over the last year and my two favourite sections are those being wiped out. I know that some of the members on here will be familiar with them.

Its a real shame :(

Here's the map / notice -

14EB04BC-A5F8-4DC5-A644-15494FDDCC1C_zpsjjlaevei.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerekM1974

Surely just a temporary state of affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kingers

DerekM1974 wrote: »
    Surely just a temporary state of affairs?

No, the machines will tear up the ground and it'll be like a bomb hit the place. They'll replant in a few years and in 40+ years it'll probably get back to the way it is now.

The trails will need rebuilding though

It's the singletrack through the trees I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Im sure you'll volunteer to help in March/April to help rebuild the trails.Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kingers

I will! Bit premature though? The planters will rip the place up again in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A shame to see although not uncommon. I have to admit I'm very jealous of the clips on YouTube of trails flowing through forested areas. Over here it seems to be trails through natures battlegrounds.

Wouldn't it be great if someone had the foresight to plan mtb trails through this proposed red wood forest in the Midlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

We plan to get the trails back ASAP.Worry about the planters when they come back in a few years,at least in the meantime there will be trails to ride.

We plan to get the trails back ASAP.Worry about the planters when they come back in a few years,at least in the meantime there will be trails to ride.

You say We? Which club looks after the trails up there? I've never ridden up there but it's not far from the home house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Over here it seems to be trails through natures battlegrounds.
    putting my treehugger hat on, i wouldn't describe them as nature's battlegrounds. nature lost the war in those plantations many decades ago.

putting my treehugger hat on, i wouldn't describe them as nature's battlegrounds. nature lost the war in those plantations many decades ago.

True I was more referring to the general state of the coilte forests than that particular site. Although I do appreciate a business enterprise and that those that take are also the suppliers.

I guess my issue is with the lack of mtb infrastructure although it is getting a lot better to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Can anyone throw up a strava link for said trails??
    Is it ok to park in the Golden ball pub car park to cycle across to it any tips much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    True I was more referring to the general state of the coilte forests than that particular site. Although I do appreciate a business enterprise and that those that take are also the suppliers.

I guess my issue is with the lack of mtb infrastructure although it is getting a lot better to be fair.

A lot of Coillte projects are being initiated but there seems to be very little follow through with them. They seem very frustrating to deal with as with all state bodies. It seems that the ox mountains proposed trail centre has stalled. I believe there is planning permission lodged for a trail centre in the Slieve Blooms near Kinnitty castle but I haven't heard of any further progress on that.

It doesn't help that the preferred Coillte trail builder, Daffyd Davis, is more or less permanently out of action down in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

xxyyzz wrote: »
    A lot of Coillte projects are being initiated but there seems to be very little follow through with them. They seem very frustrating to deal with as with all state bodies. It seems that the ox mountains proposed trail centre has stalled. I believe there is planning permission lodged for a trail centre in the Slieve Blooms near Kinnitty castle but I haven't heard of any further progress on that.

It doesn't help that the preferred Coillte trail builder, Daffyd Davis, is more or less permanently out of action down in New Zealand.

It appears that both the Laois and Offaly sides have had further information requested,

http://www.eplanning.ie/LaoisCC/AppFileRefDetails/16125/0

http://www.offaly.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/1687/0

My brother in law works for coillte in the area, he's of the opinion they want to progress this, even if it is only to have some good publicity in the bank when they apply for wind turbines in the general area in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

xxyyzz wrote: »

The Coolaney MTB centre hasn't stalled, but admittedly progress is painfully slow, not the fault of Coillte I believe, the local groups are still campaigning hard behind the scenes, although nationally there seems a lack of political will around such projects, which is frustrating seeing as we've held two really well received international MTB events in the emerald enduro.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Constant Curiosity

any update on this? fb page seems quite big but dead, no trail on trailforks either, it is very close to me and would love to try the trail but dont know where it starts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

any update on this? fb page seems quite big but dead, no trail on trailforks either, it is very close to me and would love to try the trail but dont know where it starts

There are no official MTB trails in the Leadmines

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Get in touch with one of the local MTB clubs in Sligo: https://www.facebook.com/NorthWestMTB/

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Get in touch with one of the local MTB clubs in Sligo: https://www.facebook.com/NorthWestMTB/

I think that might be a bit further away than he had in mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i did a double take on that too, but his location is given as sligo.

Advertisement