Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone-only Landline Wanted - No Broadband

Options
  • 12-11-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is still possible to get a traditional domestic landline telephone - without signing up for a "bundle"? I don't want broadband - just a phone line.

Looking at websites of providers like Eir, I cannot find a landline telephone service that does not involve a broadband "bundle" as well.

Does Eir, as the successor to Eircom/Telecom Eireann, have any statutory duty to provide a simple telephone service?

Also whatever happened to all those helpful landline telephone engineers that used to work for Telecom Eireann/Eircom? Are they still around somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Maybe post in the eir Talk To forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Double post - sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm fairly sure Eir are still the incumbent operator so have to supply a phone service but thats been diluted now to the point where they can' give you a phone via a wireless link rather than replacing or putting in new copper.

If Eir can't be bothered to help ask comreg what the rules are.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Either Eir or Vodafone can order this for you. Its not on their sites but you just need to call telesales.

FanadMan is correct, if you're near to an active pair they'll give you a real line but if you're anway isolated its likely you'll get a landline over a radio. In most cases that's not a problem.

NB: If its for an alarm the SMS service is gone, the alarm wont be able to text.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

https://www.eir.ie/phone/

It's right there on their website, pricey thou.

42 euro a month

You are probably better off using a mobile or getting a package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Virgin media do it , 24 for Irish landline calls for free only per month or 34 a month for free international and national landlines and mobile phones

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Virgin media do it , 24 for Irish landline calls for free only per month or 34 a month for free international and national landlines and mobile phones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If the OP is not in a VM area, then that's no good to them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Get landline and 25meg broadband 29 euro per month,
    that includes landline rental. It,s not from eir.
    40 is expensive just for a phone line .
    Some of the tv companys provide a phone line if you get cable tv via fibre installed .
    i remember a landline phone was 20-25 euro before i got broadband 8 years ago.
    thats the basic rental, does not include the cost of phone calls .

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

ted1 wrote: »
    https://www.eir.ie/phone/

It's right there on their website, pricey thou.

42 euro a month

You are probably better off using a mobile or getting a package

I saw this already - as can be clearly seen on your link, it refers to a "Bundle" of phone AND broadband. I don't want broadband - just a landline phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Ernest wrote: »
    I saw this already - as can be clearly seen on your link, it refers to a "Bundle" of phone AND broadband. I don't want broadband - just a landline phone.

Doesn't make a hair of difference price wise. Just get the broadband and don't use it??

It May be cheaper to get a phone plus broadband , then just to get a phone line ,
    no one says ,u have to use the broadband ,leave the router switch off .
    the phone line was prewired before i moved in,they just needed to switch it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

1) get broandband bundle
    2) set up internet cafe in home
    3) ??????
    4) profit

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pure telecom do this.

Line rental €25.50
    Unlimited landline to landline €3.50 + €25.50
    Add unlimited landline to mobile calls €10 + €3.50 + €25.50

Virgin dont sell phone without broadband. Some legacy upc customers have this but they stopped selling that around 2013. Back then you could add phone to TV but you couldn't just get phone on its own.

[/thread]

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ernest wrote: »

No that's just a landline , but there is an ad to try to get you into a bundle

See attached

How can i be paying 29 euro for line rental plus broadband,if it costs 40 euro
    for a landline by itself.
    it makes no sense ,i understand theres a fee for a new phone install,
    And there has to be a wire ,2 pair, avaidable in the local eircom network,
    cabinet to give you a line .
    The cabinet are the metal boxs you see on the side of a footpath .
    These may be underground in a new build estate.

riclad wrote: »
    How can i be paying 29 euro for line rental plus broadband,if it costs 40 euro
    for a landline by itself.
    it makes no sense ,i understand theres a fee for a new phone install,
    And there has to be a wire ,2 pair, avaidable in the local eircom network,
    cabinet to give you a line .
    The cabinet are the metal boxs you see on the side of a footpath .
    These may be underground in a new build estate.

Who is your deal with?

I pay no line rental, i can plug in a phone into socket and make phone calls,
    which i must pay for at the standard rate .9.9 per cent of time , i leave router plugged in to the landline socket.
    My provider is digiweb.
    THE Lowest cost broadband i can see on switcher ie is 39 euros,it includes line rental*
    Anytime calls to landlines in Ireland
    Anytime calls to mobiles in Ireland &

sone of those switcher prices are promotional prices for a few months. Your deal sounds good though. I wouldn't query digiweb on it :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    sone of those switcher prices are promotional prices for a few months. Your deal sounds good though. I wouldn't query digiweb on it :)

39 euros is the full price, not a promo deal for 6 months .

• Advertisement
Advertisement