Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist Doored ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't get on a plane with him, must be the unluckiest man alive. I mean, as "an outspoken critic of cyclist behaviour on roads and paths" he's all primed and on the lookout for bad behaviour, and then BLAM, right out of the blue when he was most expecting it.

It's almost like he saw the salmon coming and thought his door would joust the miscreant off!

Still, salmon are annoying. Mostly to other cyclists, mind, since a salmon will generally just bounce off one's bonnet whereas a bicycle-salmon interaction will hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

He cant even drink for 2 to 3 weeks. My heart bleeds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Niall is right! Cyclist was a numpty!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

To be fair, if the cyclist is on the wrong side of the road then it's the cyclist's fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nial being a person I would have nothing positive to say about does not validate the numpty heading against traffic.

I would question his ability to drive if he could not see an object heading towards him, and if he could see them, then I would question his mental state as he either aimed to injure the other party or himself, neither being what I want in a public representative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Car drivers are told to position on the road in such a way as to have space in case a car door is opened. Surely cyclists should do the same?

On reviewing it again, if the fecking ejit was cycling the wrong way up the street, maybe the cops should do him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

AmboMan wrote: »
    Sounds like counsellor Nial Ring opened his door in cyclists path yet blames cyclists and seems to be very anti cyclist:

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/councillor-describes-how-irresponsible-cyclist-knocked-me-unconscious-in-hitandrun-35209736.html

"He said a cyclist coming up the wrong side of the road hit the door of his parked car as he was getting out. The door slammed back, hitting him on the head and knocked him unconscious".

Taking this at face value, please explain why he would not blame the cyclist.

Car drivers are told to position on the road in such a way as to have space in case a car door is opened. Surely cyclists should do the same?

On reviewing it again, if the fecking ejit was cycling the wrong way up the street, maybe the cops should do him.
    You are of course completely right. The cyclist was a numpty. Should be charged. Nial probably should be too as assaulting someone for breaking the law is generally frowned upon (if of course it even happened).

On a side note about being a car door away. Cyclists of course should, unfortunately you often then find cars beeping or skimming you for appearing to be an inconvenience.

Long story short. There is a right thing to do but unfortunately it is not always the right option for some.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I cycle near enough Summerhill daily on my commute. It's an area where I do frequently enough see people cycling towards me on the wrong side of the road. It's a peculiar phenomenon to the area, as although I've seen it elsewhere, not nearly with the sort of frightening frequency.

Summerhill parade is also a road where cars (a) Frequently block up the outside lanes with parking and (b) frequently park facing oncoming traffic. Wonder if this is a story where that is what he may have done and the cyclist is with traffic, though I'll take his word for it.

I cycle near enough Summerhill daily on my commute. It's an area where I do frequently enough see people cycling towards me on the wrong side of the road. It's a peculiar phenomenon to the area, as although I've seen it elsewhere, not nearly with the sort of frightening frequency.

Summerhill parade is also a road where cars (a) Frequently block up the outside lanes with parking and (b) frequently park facing oncoming traffic. Wonder if this is a story where that is what he may have done and the cyclist is with traffic, though I'll take his word for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Niall is right! Cyclist was a numpty!

I would have some reservations about believing he m with regards the way things went down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I find the details of this story puzzling and a bit hard to take at face value of the councillor; not to absolve the alleged cyclist of any blame, but it's not quite adding up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

His over-the-top comments about cycling in general makes it hard for me to trust his claims about anything to do with cycling.

http://irishcycle.com/2015/08/03/councillor-objecting-to-cycle-route-on-mental-health-ground-is-a-serial-objector-to-cycle-paths/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Deedsie wrote: »
    I am a committee cyclist
    you only cycle in large groups and have to deliberate on where you want to go?

From the second linked article
    Most importantly, nobody has ever considered the effect of traffic congestion on the mental health of drivers

Solution is easy. Quit driving

Advbrd wrote: »
    "He said a cyclist coming up the wrong side of the road hit the door of his parked car as he was getting out. The door slammed back, hitting him on the head and knocked him unconscious".

Of course he would, so would I but that said if I were getting out ofor my car and a vehicle was coming against traffic within a doors breadth of my vehicle, I wouldn't open my door because that would be stupid. The only reason I could see to do it would be to hit the law breaker and attempt to injure them or get a nice story for the papers.

Weepsie wrote: »

I seen this as a kid in the country where parents would tell their kids too as they were seen as pedestrians. Most of us cycled with traffic as it made us feel more road user like when younger.
    Guess we were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Councillor Ring has vehemently and consistently opposed cycling infrastructure projects that have come before Dublin City Council, and he currently opposes the new Liffey Cycleway and College Green plaza projects.

His position is that cyclists (and cycling itself) are the problem, yet he refuses to entertain any infrastructural projects for cyclists.

I'm struggling to remain diplomatic with this post.

[Ends]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Weepsie wrote: »
    (b) frequently park facing oncoming traffic. Wonder if this is a story where that is what he may have done and the cyclist is with traffic, though I'll take his word for it.

If car was parked facing oncoming traffic then driver's door would be on the footpath side.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Some near do well in Summerhill cycles the wrong way down a street and clatters into a grumpy local representative and it is national news. Its not like it is a quiet news period me thinks there is a lot of lazy journalism in the indo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Seems like a tosser and a complete Muppet.
    The Muppet parked his car and carelessly opened his car door into traffic without checking properly and caused an accident.

And the complete tosser now involved in an accident fled the scene leaving an injured party behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Advbrd wrote: »
    Because he should've been looking before opening the door? Wouldn't even have to turn his head, check his mirrors or check his blind spot, which is the usual excuse for dooring. Or maybe he did see him coming, and decided to make a point.

The cyclist shouldn't have been going against the traffic flow - for me that doesn't excuse someone from not using their eyes and properly observing before opening their door. But no press release/ story in seeing someone doing something illegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The cyclist shouldn't have been going against the traffic flow - for me that doesn't excuse someone from not using their eyes and properly observing before opening their door. But no press release/ story in seeing someone doing something illegal...

That does assume that the cyclist was indeed cycling against the traffic as opposed to the good councillor parking into oncoming traffic and opening his door kerbside. I'm not going to suggest that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, but it is another possibility. In any case we don't know enough of the details and what the good councillor has stated has a certain ... smell to it. As I said earlier, I'm having difficulty accepting the events at face value as the good councillor has described them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

AmboMan wrote:
    Sounds like counsellor Nial Ring opened his door in cyclists path yet blames cyclists and seems to be very anti cyclist:

I don't cycle but I'm not anti cyclists either. But I read the article and I didn't couldn't find where it says Ring opened in cyclists path. Personally I think comments like yours hurts the cause when cyclists genuinely gets doored.
    We need to accept that there are some really bad cyclists out there and some great ones. It's wrong to say all cyclists are bad law breakers but likewise I don't think the cycling community is doing itself any favours defending the cyclist in this case.
    Just saying like

ted1 wrote:
    I would have some reservations about believing he m with regards the way things went down

Well as the cyclist broke the law by leaving the scene of an accident we can only hear one side.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Well as the cyclist broke the law by leaving the scene of an accident we can only hear one side.

What law is that? Genuinely interested in, not condoning it , but would like to see what the law says.

ted1 wrote:
    What law is that? Genuinely interested in, not condoning it , but would like to see what the law says.

Law says that you can't leave the scene of an accident. People have gone to jail for this. Same law for motorists,cyclists and pedestrians

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Law says that you can't leave the scene of an accident. People have gone to jail for this. Same law for motorists,cyclists and pedestrians

Which SI is that ? Anyone I've seen refers to driver and vehicle which exclude bicycles

Nobody is defending the cyclist from I can see. People are questioning the credibility of the story considering its source is vehemently anticycling

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote:
    Which SI is that ? Anyone I've seen refers to driver and vehicle which exclude bicycles

Information

If you are involved in a motor accident, whether with another motor vehicle, another user of the road or with an object along the road, there are certain things you are required by law to do. There are also things which it is advisable to do for safety reasons and to help reduce any possible financial loss to yourself.

What should I do if I am involved in a motor accident?

If the accident is serious the cars should not be moved. If the accident is minor and the cars are blocking the road or are a danger to other road users, the road should be marked and the cars moved. Take care when moving damaged cars and be alert to the danger from leaking fuel.

You should try to warn oncoming traffic of the accident. You can warn them by using your hazard lights. If you have a reflective advance-warning triangle, place it on the road far enough from the scene of the accident to give enough warning to approaching traffic. If the accident happens near a bend in the road, make sure you give warning to traffic on both sides of the bend.

If you need to ask for another road user’s help to warn traffic, do so right away.

If someone is injured the Gardaí should be contacted (telephone 999 or 112) and, if necessary, ambulance services.

Further information on what to do at the scene of an accident is available in the Rules of the Road (pdf).

What are my legal obligations?

Your legal obligations, if you are involved in a motor accident, are contained in Section 106 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 as amended. You must stop your car and remain at the scene of the accident for a reasonable time.

The above is from citizens advice bureau.

In this case the car caused the injury as described in section 106. Both parties should stay at the scene for a reasonable period.

Advertisement