Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist Doored ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I paraphrased. But there was a whole thread in one of the forums about cycling on the pavement, and a number of posters made comments about deliberately stepping into the path of the cyclist, and/or holding their line.

Not quite the same as dooring. I'd have a certain sympathy with the pedestrians' viewpoint, having recently seen great burly yobs hurtling mindlessly along pavements at speed. One thing when it's parents and young kids going at a calm speed and taking care of others, quite another when it's "Me first, get out of my way or I'll run you down".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Chuchote wrote: »
    Not quite the same as dooring. I'd have a certain sympathy with the pedestrians' viewpoint, having recently seen great burly yobs hurtling mindlessly along pavements at speed. One thing when it's parents and young kids going at a calm speed and taking care of others, quite another when it's "Me first, get out of my way or I'll run you down".
    I paraphrased in the earlier post. I just gave that as one example.

I'm not prepared (or have time) to do the trawl to prove my point. If you don't believe there's been a number of anti cyclist posts that excused poor behaviour towards cyclists, then fine, carry on believing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Maybe they've seen the multiple posts in multiple threads on boards in recent months with people saying how they like to "teach cyclists a lesson" with close passes, stepping into their path, pretending not to see them?

Well get off the footpath and it won't happen. Why do you give people these opportunities to do this, just very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Well get off the footpath and it won't happen. Why do you give people these opportunities to do this, just very silly.

Some years ago I got fisted by a pedestrian and as a result crashed into a bus stop.
    He made the mistake of confusing a cycle lane with a pedestrian lane.
    He apologized and normally it would have ended here.
    However....two elderly ladies arrived, blamed me for assault and the f.ck completely agreed.

For legal reasons I will not tell how it ended....... but confident he learned a lesson and will not do it again.
    I also learned a lesson, expect the unexpected when cycling and try to keep out of harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

V-man wrote: »
    Some years ago I got fisted by a pedestrian

are+2.jpg

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    are+2.jpg

Choked on me Lucozade :pac::eek::D:confused::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

If the councilor is telling it as it happened, then it sounds like he's partly to blame for opening his door without checking. If it was the driver's door, and the cyclist was going against the traffic, then the cyclist would have been coming towards the front of his car and have been very hard to not see.
    Not stating the obvious here, but if the councillor was doing the correct thing and checking for cyclists he would have looked behind him as that's the direction they should be coming from and he would not be looking ahead getting out of the car. So the councillor is pretty much blameless here.

As someone who lives on a one way street it's getting beyond a joke with people on bikes thinking it's ok to go against the traffic and show no respect for other road users.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not stating the obvious here, but if the councillor was doing the correct thing and checking for cyclists he would have looked behind him as that's the direction they should be coming from and he would not be looking ahead getting out of the car. So the councillor is pretty much blameless here.

As someone who lives on a one way street it's getting beyond a joke with people on bikes thinking it's ok to go against the traffic and show no respect for other road users.

If of course, he was being honest, and the cyclist was contra flow, the accident could not have happened the way he described it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    If of course, he was being honest, and the cyclist was contra flow, the accident could not have happened the way he described it.
    Why not? The cyclist would have hit the door pushing it back towards closing which would impact the head or close the door if there was no obstruction.
    If the cyclist was going the correct direction they would have pushed the door open potentially hitting themselves off the doorframe causing themselves damage.

Why not? The cyclist would have hit the door pushing it back towards closing which would impact the head or close the door if there was no obstruction.
    If the cyclist was going the correct direction they would have pushed the door open potentially hitting themselves off the doorframe causing themselves damage.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's right. According to the report
    [Nial Ring] said a cyclist coming up the wrong side of the road hit the door of his parked car as he was getting out. The door slammed back, hitting him on the head and knocked him unconscious.

I am completely wrong I think

edit: I had the scenario very wrong in my head.

This said, as a driver, I find it hard to believe that any driver gets out of their car without seeing someone coming towards them as you would be looking directly at them before you open the door.

I still think salmon cyclists are d1cks, and should be rightly reprimanded, I just can't help but feel the dear councillor seen an opportunity to make a story or hit a cyclist. Which backfired in him getting hurt but succeeded in him getting his story.

This said, as a driver, I find it hard to believe that any driver gets out of their car without seeing someone coming towards them as you would be looking directly at them before you open the door

You should, of course, give a last look around before opening the door, but envisage the scenario here: Nial parks, rings PayZone to pay for his parking, puts his phone away and gathers up his briefcase and coat and gloves from the passenger seat, and turns to open the door.

Just as he opens it, a wrong-way cyclist flashes into view and BANG!

If that cyclist was (and I don't say he was) anything like the great burly lout who missed me as he hurtled along the pavement in Ranelagh a couple of weeks ago, he was going fast, and the road, pavement, contraflow and everywhere else were his!

You should, of course, give a last look around before opening the door, but envisage the scenario here: Nial parks, rings PayZone to pay for his parking, puts his phone away and gathers up his briefcase and coat and gloves from the passenger seat, and turns to open the door.

The way I read it though, he was practically out of the car. So not only did he miss the cyclist, the cyclist missed the open car door and also the man standing behind it.

It is far from impossible, in fact nay, it is quite likely that two people away in their own world would bump into each other in Dublin in my opinion. I just question the convenience for the councillor that it happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

In that scenario the councillor bears responsibility for not paying attention to what he was doing, i.e. opened the door without checking his surroundings, or worse - checked his surroundings, then gathered up all the aforementioned stuff, and then opened the door believing that the world stood still for him.

All of this still begs the question on whether or not the good councillor parked against the flow of traffic or with ...

Lemming wrote: »
    In that scenario the councillor bears responsibility for not paying attention to what he was doing, i.e. opened the door without checking his surroundings, or worse - checked his surroundings, then gathered up all the aforementioned stuff, and then opened the door believing that the world stood still for him.

All of this still begs the question on whether or not the good councillor parked against the flow of traffic or with ...
    You're missing the bit where it says it's a one way street! Unless, the councillor had driven the wrong way up a one way street to park, which changes 100% the responsibility and 100% of the blame would lie with the councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You're missing the bit where it says it's a one way street! Unless, the councillor had driven the wrong way up a one way street to park, which changes 100% the responsibility and 100% of the blame would lie with the councillor.

Missed the bit about it being a one-way street. I stand corrected. He still gets an F for observational skill so he's not entirely absolved of all blame for what happened. Cyclist was a fool and owns the lions share of responsibility which goes without saying.

It's not a one way street, it is a two way street. The cyclist is still a d1ck, and 99% of the blame is on the cyclists feet. I reserve 1% for the Councillor as he still should have looked, as there are an abundance of reasons for being observant.

Advertisement