Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaseline Out of Hair

Options
  • 12-11-2016 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

To cut a long story short my 19 month old got hold of Vaseline & caked it in her hair, she's now walking around like one of the T-Birds from Grease with slicked backed hair & that's after 3 shampooings (one with washing up liquid).
    Any tried & tested ways to get it out of her hair please pass them on!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Ms2011 wrote: »
    To cut a long story short my 19 month old got hold of Vaseline & caked it in her hair, she's now walking around like one of the T-Birds from Grease with slicked backed hair & that's after 3 shampooings (one with washing up liquid).
    Any tried & tested ways to get it out of her hair please pass them on!!!

Try putting conditioner on the dry (greasy!) hair, massage it in and then wet it, then shampoo it as normal.

Also try a vinegar rinse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

There are what are called "clarifying" shampoos which are used to remove "product" build up in hair.
    It will help but will probably require a few washes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Double post again. What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Use baby powder in her hair. Not too much.

That dries it up, Then try shampooing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Ms2011 wrote:
    To cut a long story short my 19 month old got hold of Vaseline & caked it in her hair, she's now walking around like one of the T-Birds from Grease with slicked backed hair & that's after 3 shampooings (one with washing up liquid). Any tried & tested ways to get it out of her hair please pass them on!!!

The only way is to use the detergent on dry hair. Put it on the hair and rub it in well, it might take 2 or 3 washes but once you wet the hair the water creates a barrier that the detergent can't break down.
    Years of experience trying to wash Ted dax out of young lads hair before I could cut it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

cbyrd wrote: »
    The only way is to use the detergent on dry hair. Put it on the hair and rub it in well, it might take 2 or 3 washes but once you wet the hair the water creates a barrier that the detergent can't break down.
    Years of experience trying to wash Ted dax out of young lads hair before I could cut it. ;)

By detergent do you mean washing up liquid?

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Washing up liquid is degreaser. It'll work!

Spot of washing up liquid on dry hair, rub it in and then a dot of water to emulsify it.

Rinse it out, you might need to do it a couple of times but it will work.

Thank you for the suggestions, we're on our way out to a birthday party, (typical, couldn't have done it on a day when we've nowhere to go :rolleyes:) I will be trying all of the above until something works when we get home:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As a degreaser, Cussons 'Morning Fresh' is the best by a country mile, if you can find it. Best detergent/washing up liquid by far for shifting petrochemical based lubricants/greases, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Shave the head, buff with a polishing cloth. Good luck with the realistic suggestions though.

I would have tried a wet cloth with some shampoo and wiped it out. Something else for the vaseline to stick to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

this thread reminds me of the simpsons

I was a bit hesitant about putting too many concoctions on her as she has been known to have breakouts of eczema so I kind of procrastinated for a day or so figuring out what to do & miraculously the vaseline seemed to have been absorbed by either her hair or her scalp for the most part. Bathed her there tonight & her hair is thankfully back to normal :D

Advertisement