Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas with an (almost) two year old

Options
  • 12-11-2016 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Last year our lad was just a baby so we didn't do santa trips or anything like that. This year he's a very active chatty toddler of just under two.

Anyone got any ideas? Is he still to young for a Santa experience? I'm assuming he's still too young for The Snowman yet, maybe next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hi everyone,

Last year our lad was just a baby so we didn't do santa trips or anything like that. This year he's a very active chatty toddler of just under two.

Anyone got any ideas? Is he still to young for a Santa experience? I'm assuming he's still too young for The Snowman yet, maybe next year

We were in the same situation as yourself this time last year. I booked a Santa experience, cookie decorating, colouring, nice magical trail down to meet Santa, led by a very chatty colourful happy elf, met Mrs clause, then into meet Santa, it was lovely...except my normally chatty funny toddler freaked out at Santa and had an almighty stranger danger tantrum. Disaster. Would not go near Santa, literally clung to me bawling crying. Terrified out of his mind. So, we had to leave, he got his gift which he loved. But we put it down to him not being old enough for it, and not knowing what the hell Santa was. My advice would be before you go book a Santa experience is maybe try him out with a store Santa and see how he gets on. For us, we're not going to bother with the Santa experience till next year when he will almost be 4, I think he will know more what it's all about at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Ya we have a just turned two year old here and we won't be doing much of the Santa stuff. Plenty of pointing him out and looking at him but he's just too young for all that. I can absolutely imagine him freaking out if we brought him to a store Santa. We will just admire lights and decorations and introduce the concept. Maybe watch some Christmas films.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Every year since the eldest was a baby we go to the Snowman in NCH ,they love it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I now (children have grown up) think that Christmas Eve and Santa coming down the chimney etc doesn't really kick in till they're 4 or 5. Of cpourse, at the time, I did 'everything' but in hindsight ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My eldest couldn't contain his excitement last Christmas eve when he was 5.
    He was hopping in the bed with excitement.

We're doing Santa in Palmerstown house with our new 6&3 year old.

IKEA do him for free with a soft toy. Get there early to avoid the Q.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Every year since the eldest was a baby we go to the Snowman in NCH ,they love it .

I'm a music teacher so this really is right up my street but I've no idea how he'd cope as a toddler??!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a grown up family, and grandchildren, and I am Mrs Claus at local events, and I really think that 3 to 4 is the earliest they will appreciate what is going on. Children younger than that are just confused and often upset by being expected to have anything to do with the strange adult. You are really doing it for yourself; for the child just go and look at the lights and decorations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We've taken our lads to work parties with santa as 1 and 2 year olds. ALWAYS had freakouts. In fairness, the fright is shortlived and it makes for really funny photos but I wouldn't go if it weren't already paid for. I've been doing loads of Santa brainwashing this year but I still wouldn't hold my breath for a smiley experience.

Funnily enough, there were no tears when we went to see the nice witch Hattie O Goodspell in Dunnes at Halloween :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I'm a music teacher so this really is right up my street but I've no idea how he'd cope as a toddler??!

Put it this way..my eldest is 7 and my youngest 2 and this is our 8th year going.
    The current 3 year old reminded me to book it once he saw the 1st christmas decoration.
    They absolutely love it and it is not too long so mine have always sat through it with no issue.

Advertisement