Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazy colleague

Options
  • 12-11-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

I work as part of a small team.
    One of our tasks is writing sequences to allow our work to proceed.
    The instructions for these sequences are emailed to us from the manager..
    When I and most of my team receive these instructions on our shift we write the sequence for the work to proceed.
    One member of my team is lazy and will regularly leave these instructions for me to write on my shift.
    I pride myself on always trying to make sure I write the ones that come on my shift.
    I don't like being taken advantage of but if I leave work for him in return then I will be failing at my job and going to his level, I don't like conflict either so how do approach resolving this in the best way possible?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Don't be a sucker. Does each team member write instructions for their own individual work? Does he piggyback and copy your sequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You do his work, he either greases your paw or does it himself. As other poster said don't be a sucker.
    Bring it up with your manager that you feel like your doing other peoples work, don't name anyone, manager probably knows who your on about already.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shiftworker

We write the sequences on our own shift but the sequence may be executed on another persons shift, the sequence can be copied and pasted if another job is identical but will need to be altered and rechecked most of the time.

One other colleague suggested I continue to write my sequences plus the ones left for me by him, then make a record of all the instances where I did his.
    When I establish a pattern, confront him.
    If his attitude to this is bad then threaten to bring it to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Hi all,

I work as part of a small team.
    One of our tasks is writing sequences to allow our work to proceed.
    The instructions for these sequences are emailed to us from the manager..
    When I and most of my team receive these instructions on our shift we write the sequence for the work to proceed.
    One member of my team is lazy and will regularly leave these instructions for me to write on my shift.
    I pride myself on always trying to make sure I write the ones that come on my shift.
    I don't like being taken advantage of but if I leave work for him in return then I will be failing at my job and going to his level, I don't like conflict either so how do approach resolving this in the best way possible?

Thank you in advance.

How much time does it take to write up somoneone else's sequence?

• Advertisement

The sequences vary in length anything from 10min to a number of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

One other colleague suggested I continue to write my sequences plus the ones left for me by him, then make a record of all the instances where I did his.
    When I establish a pattern, confront him.
    If his attitude to this is bad then threaten to bring it to the manager.

No don't wait, do something about it now, ask him to do his fair share, if he refuses then you can go to a manager but don't go to the manager without talking to your colleague first.

The sequences vary in length anything from 10min to a number of hours.

I understand your desire not to let work slip, but that would have happened once and then (I'm assuming this is additional work you had to undertake) a conversation would have been had to ensure it didn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you a manager or team leader?

If not, then focus on doing your job, and give your manager the information they need to do theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Are you a manager or team leader?

If not, then focus on doing your job, and give your manager the information they need to do theirs.

There's one thing focusing on your own job, another thing doing 2 peoples jobs.

• Advertisement

I take your point, I am not a manager or team leader and I have no control over an equal colleague, however I will have to work with him for the next 10years. Is going straight for the juggler the right idea?

I take your point, I am not a manager or team leader and I have no control over an equal colleague, however I will have to work with him for the next 10years. Is going straight for the juggler the right idea?

No, you need to talk to them first. What he did is disrespectful at least, but should be given the courtesy of having a word with him yourself.

But, if it doesn't change after you talk to him - it's manager time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don't confront him, that's his managers job.
    Collect some concrete examples and bring them to management explaining your unhappy he's not doing his fair share and ask them to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How long are you going to wait? 10 years? It doesn't have to be confrontational. I would say something along the lines of 'Hi Joe I noticed you aren't getting the X job done, I have to do Y on my shift and only have time to do part of X so I would appreciate it if you could finish your share so that the work doesn't carry over to the next day, cheers, bye'.

Then wait and if he doesn't take note, report.

Thanks guys, some good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EQR

Prioritise the work that come sin when you are on your shift. Speak with your manager, they may not be aware that you are coming into your shift with a colleague leaving you work from theirs. It puts you on the back foot at the start of your shift.

Advertisement