Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had my bank account cleaned out, all my money gone. Is there any hope of getting

Options
  • 12-11-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I was already on the phone and I have to to wait 2 days for the fraud department to get back to me. 
    I just had had my account cleaned out, all my xmas money and savings gone! Am I completely screwed? Is there any way of getting it back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

conti wrote: »
    I was already on the phone and I have to to wait 2 days for the fraud department to get back to me. 
    I just had had my account cleaned out, all my xmas money and savings gone! Am I completely screwed? Is there any way of getting it back?
    Terrible to hear that, how did it happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Is this, 'I went on a bender last night and when I went to the ATM this morning all my money is gone' or was it fraudulently taken... if so, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Is this, 'I went on a bender last night and when I went to the ATM this morning all my money is gone' or was it fraudulently taken... if so, how?
    I rarely take a drink, so no.

Massive online payments to companies I've never had dealings with before. ETSY, DIGITAL RIVER, some jewellery company I've never heard of.
    All just happened today, my account balance is down, does this mean there's no going back?

I work in I.T. I'm generally careful about how I do online transactions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was it your current account or multiple accounts?

Stheno wrote: »
    Was it your current account or multiple accounts?
    My current (and only) account. 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

conti wrote: »
    My current (and only) account. 

The bank will investigate and you hopefully will get your money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Just reading this now and I'm sorry for your loss but when you get sorted you should consider the verified by visa process. It may help you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you say online payments what do you mean, a transfer or a transaction? Are they showing a POS (point of sale) transactions?

When you say online payments what do you mean, a transfer or a transaction? Are they showing a POS (point of sale) transactions?
    I guess transfer? They look like online payments as opposed to digital transactions in a store. They're in the debit column and my balance is now 1/7 of what is was this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He has to get it back, that is the law.
    Where does it come from all this money banks pay back to customers who lose it through fraud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm sorry for your troubles. Just before Christmas too.
    AFAIK the bank will refund the money to you so long as you haven't been foolish with your card or details

I'm sorry for your troubles. Just before Christmas too.
    AFAIK the bank will refund the money to you so long as you haven't been foolish with your card or details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yeah you'll get the money back no problem. The BOI fraud dept. Are pretty quick to sort this type of thing out. My credit cards were done on three separate occasions, no issue getting the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yeah you'll get the money back no problem. The BOI fraud dept. Are pretty quick to sort this type of thing out. My credit cards were done on three separate occasions, no issue getting the money back.
    Who pays it though?
    Where does this free money come from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

How is it "the law"?

Op it really depends on how the money was lost, if it was through your negligence(ie giving someone your Internet banking details) then you may not get it back however if it's a scam like a cloned card or something you'll stand a better chance. It also depends how quickly you contacted the bank.

I know with AIB you have to use verified by visa for transactions online especially high value ones, is it the same with BOI?

Who pays it though? Where does this free money come from

We all pay. Some of your bank or card fees go towards this. At the end of the day the bank will still make millions per year

We all pay. Some of your bank or card fees go towards this. At the end of the day the bank will still make millions per year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Where does it come from all this money banks pay back to customers who lose it through fraud?
    The bank will take it back from where it was spent. e.g. "ETSY, DIGITAL RIVER, some jewellery company I've never heard of."

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who pays it though?
    Comes out of the massive profits made by credit/debit card providers, they basically run a cheap ass system that is cheaper to pay out millions of fraudulent claims annually than to actually make their systems secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Who pays it though?

Banks make money through fees and interests on moneys held. A portion of this can be used to create a fraud fund. However a lot of fraud is with cards which visa and Mastercard offer protection to the consumer. So the bank may not pay anything out of its own pocket.

Everytime you use your visa/Mastercard the merchant pays a fee. Banks and card companies are well able to cover these fraudulent transactions if necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

My debit card was skimmed at an ATM a few years back. The bank set me up with a temporary overdraft of the amount missing while the whole thing was sorted out. It was with AIB but I'm sure BOI might be able to set you up with something similar if you are stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I'd check your laptop/desktop for keylogger software quickly if I was you

I'd check your laptop/desktop for keylogger  software quickly if I was you
    That was my initial thought but my online banking is done on OSX with Chrome, I know Macs aren't 100% infallible when it comes to security, but I always thought that was a safe way of banking. I have never fallen for a phishing email or text, so a key-logger or some sort of browser hijack are most likely the cause. I can rule out my phone because I don't use a banking app. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Surprised they let them transactions through. PTSB are constantly stopping me making purchases on sites that I wouldn't normally buy on, annoying at the time but when you read threads like this I am thankful for it. Sorry to hear this OP hope you get it sorted

Surprised they let them transactions through. PTSB are constantly stopping me making purchases on sites that I wouldn't normally buy on, annoying at the time but when you read threads like this I am thankful for it. Sorry to hear this OP hope you get it sorted

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

BOI stopped by card temporarily after a suspicious transaction. And that was only for 11c! Don't worry, the fraud team will be experienced in this, you'll get sorted quickly.

And just in case you haven't seen this, link.

https://www.bankofireland.com/security/other-fraud-prevention-information/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Set up an online savings account. Move money to that. And monitor your accounts on a daily basis. 
    I am confident that you will get your stolen money back .

Advertisement