Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had my bank account cleaned out, all my money gone. Is there any hope of getting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

conti wrote: »
    I was already on the phone and I have to to wait 2 days for the fraud department to get back to me. 
    I just had had my account cleaned out, all my xmas money and savings gone! Am I completely screwed? Is there any way of getting it back?
    Hi conti, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear about this.

Please be assured that we'll complete a fraud investigation into these transaction for you as quickly as possible, if you need to contact our fraud team in the meantime please call 01 679 8993.

Please let me know if you need any further help with this, thanks.

Nicola 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

duffman13 wrote: »
    He has to get it back, that is the law.

How is it "the law"?

Op it really depends on how the money was lost, if it was through your negligence(ie giving someone your Internet banking details) then you may not get it back however if it's a scam like a cloned card or something you'll stand a better chance. It also depends how quickly you contacted the bank.

I know with AIB you have to use verified by visa for transactions online especially high value ones, is it the same with BOI?
    Hi duffman13, yes we use MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa with participating online retailers to help protect you from unauthorised use for online purchases to make spending online safer. This is used in conjunction with our own fraud prevention measures.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'd check your laptop/desktop for keylogger  software quickly if I was you
    That was my initial thought but my online banking is done on OSX with Chrome, I know Macs aren't 100% infallible when it comes to security, but I always thought that was a safe way of banking. I have never fallen for a phishing email or text, so a key-logger or some sort of browser hijack are most likely the cause. I can rule out my phone because I don't use a banking app. 
    I had a customer loose 20k (I'm not sure if they got it back as I never talked to them after sorting out their MacBook) because they assumed their Mac was secure. It's rare but it happens, if I were in your position I'd be deleting everything on the hard drive and installing a fresh copy of the latest OS. It may have happened from elsewhere but it's worth doing just in case if you don't find out where/how you were caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

OP, thats a real pain in the hoop. 

But maybe one clarification :  You say the money came out of your Current account, not for instance, from your credit card. So you are talking about money transfers / electronic payments to other account numbers, not the same as simple purchases from retailers.  There should be really good trail of evidence, you should be able to get your money back no problem from the accounts that were paid out to.

Sounds like someone has access to you online banking account. Change passwords etc. ASAP.  Also you may need to recover you Computer Software back to a time before any spurious software might have infected you Computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

OP, thats a real pain in the hoop. 

But maybe one clarification :  You say the money came out of your Current account, not for instance, from your credit card. So you are talking about money transfers / electronic payments to other account numbers, not the same as simple purchases from retailers.  There should be really good trail of evidence, you should be able to get your money back no problem from the accounts that were paid out to.

Sounds like someone has access to you online banking account. Change passwords etc. ASAP.  Also you may need to recover you Computer Software back to a time before any spurious software might have infected you Computer.
    ETSY would most likely be a card or PayPal payment and Digital River is a card payment processing company they may also accept PayPal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

Yeah you'll get the money back no problem. The BOI fraud dept. Are pretty quick to sort this type of thing out. My credit cards were done on three separate occasions, no issue getting the money back.
    Who pays it though?
    Where does this free money come from
    I would imagine that the money takes a couple of days  to get to the get to the fraudsters account and if the bank acts fast they  would be able to stop the transaction going to completion.
    Also I would have thought that the bank has some sort of insurance to cover such events.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Just an update on this for anyone who stumbles across this in the future.

It took just over a week since I got the text to inform me the inquiry had started, but I got my money back in 2 separate payments. It's going straight to a savings account before this happens again.

Curiously, aside from getting the text letting me know that I was receiving the refund, I've had no communication with the fraud team. I assumed they would have let me know exactly how my account was compromised and what to do to prevent it happening again. Maybe they have yet to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Just an update on this for anyone who stumbles across this in the future.

It took just over a week since I got the text to inform me the inquiry had started, but I got my money back in 2 separate payments. It's going straight to a savings account before this happens again.

Curiously, aside from getting the text letting me know that I was receiving the refund, I've had no communication with the fraud team. I assumed they would have let me know exactly how my account was compromised and what to do to prevent it happening again. Maybe they have yet to do it?

I may be wrong, but I don't think how it happened concerns them other than it not being thru your negligence. That's probably what was checked, not who took the money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had my debit card used without my consent two times and was not told the result.of the investigation. The Banks have a strict policy of not telling you apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

My missus had her card used in Las Vegas despite not being there. Took weeks to get money back from BOI.

Last month I had the same issue with KBC. I had a block on my card and call from their fraud team within the hour - there were other suspicious transactions that had been blocked. They lifted the block to allow me transfer some money to my Revolut pre paid card. They then cancelled my card and immediately refunded the amount taken. I had a replacement card delivered 2 days later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement