Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nickel coil question. Resistance all over the shop?

• 12-11-2016 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Just got my first coils, installed them to my liking, set my device to TC mode for Ni200 coils. They seem to instantly go white hot when I dry fire them and the resistance always seems to jump from 0.15 to 2.6x. This happens even when there is cotton/juice involved.

What am I doing wrong here?

Doesn't matter if it's 150c or 350c they instantly get ridiculously hot.

Is the resistance meant to jump around so much? I don't get why the resistance doesn't hit a certain point for a certain temp.

Any help would be appreciated, don't know if I'm missing something obvious here.

Mod is a Coolfire IV 18650. Smok TFV4 tank with RBA. ~10 wrap 3mm Ni200 wire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Never dry fire nickel. Throw it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

So if I install it without dry firing the resistance should float around at whatever temperature I set?

Dry firing will change the characteristics of the metal and wreck it (aside from the possible nickel poisoning...).

You need to build the coil, make sure it is spaced evenly, no micro coils, wick, liquid, test fire, build up tank, fill liquid, lock the resistance when the coil is at room temp, vape away.

Thanks for the help! What do you mean lock the resistance? I'm a complete noob with anything but kanthal!

I'm building a new coil now so will see if it's still jumpy

edit: resistance jumping between 0.26-0.30 now, so I think that's probably okay. 150c seems pretty hot though, like almost hotter that I'm using to? Normally at 4.6v/35w on 22 gauge kanthal ~9 wraps. Anybody else experience this?

Actually I think the coolfires lock themselves. That variance should be fine. Can you put it at less than 150?

Also you need to probably limit the max wattage. If its just set to max it might be heating up too fast

• Advertisement

It was on max wattage (75w)... I didn't even know you could change that on TC mode, damn that's great thanks so much.

Any tips on wicking properly? I hate coils crackling from too little cotton but this stuff is seriously soft compared to kanthal

Also, do you have to change these coils every time the coil gets gunked? Sometimes I've used kanthal for up to 6 weeks where I just dry fire them and give them a clean. I'm guessing you can't do that wire Ni200?

Never use nickel to be honest. If its a spaced coil wicking shouldn't be too bad, I normally just pinch one end, place into the coil then pull it through with a tweezers from the other side.

If you can dry burn it without it glowing it might be OK, once it glows you break down the nickel, and its not something you want in your system.

Used a good bit more cotton there. The coil does move about a good bit but it's easy to put it back in place with your fingers without deforming it. It's fairly malleable. Working well now anyways, thanks for all the tips

Advertisement