Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria vs Ireland, World Cup Qualifier, kick-off 5 pm, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Coleman turning into a great Irish captain.

• Coleman is a great man
    He looks delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Coleman turning into a great Irish captain.

I'd prefer a lucky captain
    Good stuff Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I'd prefer a lucky captain
    Good stuff Seamus

Hopefully he'll be both! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Excellent second half performance it has to be said, well deserved win. Very nice that every late chance fell to Janko. He could be described as a big lump going by that game and very pleased to see him miss for his antics..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Duff wrote: »
    Great result. A draw now in Cardiff, please.

I'd take a win myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'd love to know what Seamus Coleman said to the ref at half time. It worked whatever it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Excellent stuff, really positive .

Johnny Walter's turn of pace at the end there had be worried :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,588 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Austria got what they deserved in that game. Nothing :)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Delighted with that and great to see McClean getting the praise he deserves. Thought every one of them was immense. McGeady did well too when he came on. Roll on the Welsh and feck playing for a draw, keep this going and beat them over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought Arter done well in the second half his energy in there really helped in Austria not being able to get any sort of momentum. A lot of their players looked like they'd never played together before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think when people say about a draw in Cardiff they are talking about the match later. We're playing Wales at home next anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Jayop wrote:
    Delighted with that and great to see McClean getting the praise he deserves. Thought every one of them was immense. McGeady did well too when he came on. Roll on the Welsh and feck playing for a draw, keep this going and beat them over there!

We're at home. We really need to be looking to win that one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Brilliant result we are well set up to qualify now. Nice loi stamp on the goal cork to shels to Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Missing the next game for only two bookings is very harsh no??

spock. wrote: »
    We're at home. We really need to be looking to win that one

Ah even more so at home then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Got to be honest. I'm surprised Ireland won that one, even more surprised about the fact there was an attacking intent throughout.

I'm always moaning about the overly cautious nature of O'Neill/Keane but not tonight.

That's a corker of a result. Fair play.

Walters is some man, he literally runs until he can't move (as you saw late on). Kudos to McClean as well, probably the game of his life tonight, he was outstanding.

Brady is a massive loss for the next game though. Good player that fella.

Some win though. Was expecting it to be another overly-cautious job but they took a gamble and went for it and it paid off.
    Good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is huge. The first competitive win over a decent team away in competitive play in nearly 30 years. Has this sunk in for all of ye, yet?

A great return from the 1st 4 games, and really even a bit disappointed not to have beaten Serbia, but still it now ought to be in Ireland's hands to qualify from here. Just have to keep this good mentality going.

• briany wrote: »
    This is huge. The first competitive win over a decent team away in competitive play in nearly 30 years. Has this sunk in for all of ye, yet?

A great return from the 1st 4 games, and really even a bit disappointed not to have beaten Serbia, but still it now ought to be in Ireland's hands to qualify from here. Just have to keep this good mentality going.

Lets start talking about Ireland since O Neil took over
    I have been critical of O Neil due to how he has negatively approached some games but results can't be denied thus far
    I'd say we will move further up the rankings after this result
    Belgium and France are the only teams I can remember beat us over the last 12+ months off the top of my head (Open to correction)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Great result. Our eyes have to be focused on top spot now. 10pts after three away games, it must be one of if not our best start to a qualifying campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Unreal result..Austria were formidable at home for their European campaign. It's a great great result and we did it by trusting that our defence could handle it if we went for it up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time we've beaten a higher ranked team away from home in qualifying since beating Czechoslovakia 2-1 in 1967! Scotland were seeded below us in Euro 88 qualifying.

R00ster wrote: »
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time we've beaten a higher ranked team away from home in qualifying since beating Czechoslovakia 2-1 in 1967! Scotland were seeded below us in Euro 88 qualifying.

Yeah I don't think people fully appreciate the significance of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think people fully appreciate the significance of this.

It was a bigger game for Czechoslovakia as well! It was the final game of the group and if they had won, they would have qualified. They won their first three, but only got one draw in the final three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    King McLean does it again

****ing love that lad

He loves his country
    The man would run through a wall to wear a green jersey. A bit mad that he is disowned by some Irish people (because he is not born in the 26 counties).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The man would run through a wall to wear a green jersey. A bit mad that he is disowned by some Irish people (because he is not born in the 26 counties).

Is this really a thing.

I find that very bizarre, we're nation that relies on the Granny rule ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Massive result, and fair play to mon, I thought it would be a park the bus, play for a nil nil all the way.

I think the thing that changed his mentality was just how awful Austria were. They are shocking and you couldn't help but have a go at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

A fantastic result by the Boys In Green. McClean deserved the MoM award, showing great power, guile, courage and a great goal, the Derryman has become a vital part of the Irish Team. Thought Clarke, in particular, but also Coleman, Duffy, Meyler and Randolph were outstanding. Hoolahan had a poor game by his standards yet his creativity led to Walters chance at the end of the first half and the goal.
    With Wales, Austria and Serbia to come to the Aviva there is a real chance to top the group.

• Advertisement

A fantastic result by the Boys In Green. McClean deserved the MoM award, showing great power, guile, courage and a great goal, the Derryman has become a vital part of the Irish Team. Thought Clarke, in particular, but also Coleman, Duffy, Meyler and Randolph were outstanding. Hoolahan had a poor game by his standards yet his creativity led to Walters chance at the end of the first half and the goal.
    With Wales, Austria and Serbia to come to the Aviva there is a real chance to top the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What a win, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is Meyler finally going to get ahead of Whelan after this performance?
    I thought Meyler tried to be creative as well as covering danger all over the pitch.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

we can draw at home v Wales, Austria and Serbia and still probably top the group. Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Great result. Felt we limped over the line a bit towards the end. Lacked composure. We'll take a lot of confidence from that though.

I know Long can't be dropped but we're a better team when Walters plays up front and not on the wing.

• Advertisement

Is Meyler finally going to get ahead of Whelan after this performance?
    I thought Meyler tried to be creative as well as covering danger all over the pitch.

Meyler is a better athlete, more creative than Whelan, I have him on the teamsheet before Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A few months ago I complained about McClean getting in the Irish team.

I was wrong. Great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Only two things disappointing about the game, for me - Robbie Brady getting a silly yellow to rule him out of the Welsh game, and also the weird lack of enthusiasm or buzz about the result on here. Thread only has 23 pages for me. The Moldova one from last month (oh, yeah, that mammoth game) has 41 pages. I'm sure this one would be twice as long if there had been something to really moan about.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fantastic result and very good 90 minutes which is even more pleasing.

Mclean came of age last night. He always been solid for Ireland but his skill level went up yesterday.

Myler though was terrific throughout. Mopped up everything. He did Nothing extrondary just did basics as good as any top player.

And well done to O Neill. Got team spot on, but we also pressed well last night. 10/10( for a change)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Patww79 wrote: »

Most important player in the side.[/quote]

Nah, Seamus Coleman, both in attack and defense our most effective players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

briany wrote: »
    Only two things disappointing about the game, for me - Robbie Brady getting a silly yellow to rule him out of the Welsh game, and also the weird lack of enthusiasm or buzz about the result on here. Thread only has 23 pages for me. The Moldova one from last month (oh, yeah, that mammoth game) has 41 pages. I'm sure this one would be twice as long if there had been something to really moan about.

Frankly I thought Austria were plain bad and the game as a whole was a midfield battle with not much good technical play apart from the goal. We are going great but I wouldn't be getting carried away in terms of thinking we are a truly good side yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Hey guys. Just logged on to say what a win that was last night against,on paper, a much better Austrian team. That midfield of hendrick, arter, meyler and hoolahan has to start the next game. I hope martin realises this and doesnt give james mccarthy or whelan a starting place. Every one of our midfield last night wanted the ball which was very refreshing to see. My highlight was Coleman powering away from Alaba, I know who Id much prefer on my team anyways. He's a fantastic captain. Going forward I have my doubts over duffy but with clarke working with rafa he can only get better defensively. Anyways as an Irish man marooned in Spain I am delighted with the win!!

Hey guys. Just logged on to say what a win that was last night against,on paper, a much better Austrian team. That midfield of hendrick, arter, meyler and hoolahan has to start the next game. I hope martin realises this and doesnt give james mccarthy or whelan a starting place. Every one of our midfield last night wanted the ball which was very refreshing to see. My highlight was Coleman powering away from Alaba, I know who Id much prefer on my team anyways. He's a fantastic captain. Going forward I have my doubts over duffy but with clarke working with rafa he can only get better defensively. Anyways as an Irish man marooned in Spain I am delighted with the win!!

a fit James McCarthy always deserves his place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

briany wrote: »

Probably more the fact that this one was on a Saturday night so we were all out on the beer as opposed to the Moldova game which was on a Sunday....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a fit James McCarthy always deserves his place

Maybe in place of whelan, but no way should the two start on the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

The thing is though that's all you need Wes to do; sure he was poor enough most of the match but he did create two clear cut chances which we essentially won the game from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Also 100% agree with the posters highlighting how massive this is for us; hopefully that's the duck broken so to speak and we can go away to the bigger teams without fear from now on.
    Gotta say too; Arnautovic is an absolutely dispicable man; leaving a needless foot in on Seamie Coleman twice and mouthing off to Meyler on the ground (along with Baumgartlinger). Delighted for them in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is the strongest position I can remember us being in since maybe the 1996 qualification campaign. And we ****ed that up. :) You couldn't ask to be in a stronger position. Clear at the top with two home games to come against those looking to catch up. It's on us to get the job done now.

cson wrote: »
    Also 100% agree with the posters highlighting how massive this is for us; hopefully that's the duck broken so to speak and we can go away to the bigger teams without fear from now on.
    Gotta say too; Arnautovic is an absolutely dispicable man; leaving a needless foot in on Seamie Coleman twice and mouthing off to Meyler on the ground (along with Baumgartlinger). Delighted for them in particular.

He left one on Clarke or Duffy in the first half after the great Coleman tackle too. It was an intentional dive in with studs up and I was amazed nothing was made of it.

That said he was by a mile their best player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement