Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combo box

• 12-11-2016 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭

So went through the 36 minute process with sky to cancel TV today... 3 times on hold.. And multiple rejected offers.

Anyway, want a decent combo box.. Have saorview and sat feed and fibre broadband. Will use Netflix for most stuff. Won't need streaming about the house from the box.

Would like record, pause and rewind functionality. Have plenty of external hard drives so USB attached will suffice for storage.

Is the Ariva 153 a decent option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

I use the amiko alien 2 with hyperion 4.5 enigma 2 image.

Works flawlessly 99% of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

If you want a decent combo box get an enigma2 combo box. There is a big thread in the Foreign Satellite forum.

Stay away from anything labelled amiko or zgemma. They are both rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

http://www.freetv.ie/triple-tuner/

Something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

The SAB receiver is an amiko.

Works fine for me as stated above.

Have 2 of them in the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

lawred2 wrote: »

Stay away from anything that says Sab, Amiko or Zgemma.

They are all boxes trying to be something else and do it badly.

Vu+, Gigablue, Edision, Xtrend, Technomate, Mutant is what you should be looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

STB. wrote: »
    Stay away from anything that says Sab, Amiko or Zgemma.

They are all boxes trying to be something else and do it badly.

Vu+, Gigablue, Edision, Xtrend, Technomate, Mutant is what you should be looking at.

Have a sab triple tuner running perfectly for a few years now and would highly recommend them as would nearly anyone who uses an amiko, top class for satellite boxes

Well I picked up an aa2+

Great bit of kit. Fantastic picture even on SD.

Love the enigma2 image..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well I picked up an aa2+

Great bit of kit. Fantastic picture even on SD.

Love the enigma2 image..

Amiko is not fully enigma no where near as good as other enigma machines such as gigablue zgemma etc....much slower processor etc

steveon wrote: »
    Amiko is not fully enigma no where near as good as other enigma machines such as gigablue zgemma etc....much slower processor etc

Sure. There is always something better out there. That's the way of the world.

But I didn't offer any comparative analysis just that I was happy with the Amiko. Especially when I barely spent €130 on the entire setup with a 1TB hard drive..

Best value for money TV solution I've ever had any experience of.

In time I'll relegate it to second TV status and replace it with one of these more performant enigma 2 boxes.. But for a first foray into Enigma 2 I couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

STB. wrote: »
    If you want a decent combo box get an enigma2 combo box. There is a big thread in the Foreign Satellite forum.

Stay away from anything labelled amiko or zgemma. They are both rubbish.

Iv a zgemma and its brilliant, gets every channel possible and has the same channel numbers as sly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Hopefully somebody can help me on this
    Got an Amiko Mini Combo box lately but cannot record to USB stick even though it recognizes it
    I went on to the freetv.ie site for advice on setup and they advise that PVR function needs to be turned on manually as its off by default.
    Went into menu to turn on but PVR option not there.
    Am I doing something wrong
    Help

Advertisement