Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you trust an EA / Seller who accepts deposit then pulls back

Options
  • 12-11-2016 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

As the title says, would you trust either in this case?
    There is a house i want, had offer accepted and paid deposit.

Seller has now gone with a new EA and decided to back out, but will talk again for higher offer.

Would you trust them or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Tell us how long you've been sale agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Tell us how long you've been sale agreed.

3 weeks. 2 weeks deposit paid.

I wouldnt trust them at all. They're messers.

They've gone sale agreed and some monday quarterback has convinced them that they would have got a better deal with another EA so they've torn up your agreement and put the place on the market again with a different EA. Bad tactics.

Don't give them the comfort of being a safety net. Messers stay messers and are best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Walk. Life's too short.

I wouldnt trust them at all. They're messers.

They've gone sale agreed and some monday quarterback has convinced them that they would have got a better deal with another EA so they've torn up your agreement and put the place on the market again with a different EA. Bad tactics.

Don't give them the comfort of being a safety net. Messers stay messers and are best avoided.

It kind of defeats the purpose of going sale agreed then.
    Honestly i bought in 2012; just paid asking and was done in 2 weeks.

I know its a bit different market now, but its a pain with bank sales, unprofessional EA , and sellers who ask for a price, get it, then say we want higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

allibastor wrote: »
    It kind of defeats the purpose of going sale agreed then.
    Honestly i bought in 2012; just paid asking and was done in 2 weeks.

I know its a bit different market now, but its a pain with bank sales, unprofessional EA , and sellers who ask for a price, get it, then say we want higher

Unfortunately until contracts are exchanged either party can pull out. Hopefully the vendor gets less than your offer, unlikely though at the moment, completely different market to 2012!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Offer €5k less than your original offer and look elsewhere.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Offer €5k less than your original offer and look elsewhere.

I am doing the looking elsewhere part already.

It is good just to see that all through the recession the general EA has not lost the lying part of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I am doing the looking elsewhere part already.

It is good just to see that all through the recession the general EA has not lost the lying part of the job.

What is your issue with the EA ? It sounds like the EA has been shafted by the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seller has now gone with a new EA and decided to back out but will talk again for higher offer.
    Seller may have had issues with the EA, and thinks they can get a better deal. IMO, offer less, and be prepared to walk away.

• Advertisement

Something else to bear in mind; Even if you offer more now and the second EA sells you the house, the first EA would likely be entitled to his fee. After all it was he who introduced you to the house. Perversely, its not in the second EAs interest to sell you the house.

This strikes me as the kind of situation where somebody has died and several siblings are fighting while trying to sell the property. Whatever price is agreed by one will always be unacceptable to others. Another possibility is thats its a divorce sale where one party insists the amount obtained is never enough.

Either situation is a nightmare for any buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

the_syco wrote: »
    Seller may have had issues with the EA, and thinks they can get a better deal. IMO, offer less, and be prepared to walk away.

Well they shouldn't have accepted a deposit then.

It happened my mother in 2002 on a house in Wexford. She met the asking price and paid a deposit. The seller then withdrew it from the market saying he wanted to rent it out. Deposit returned.

I went down with the folks when they were paying the deposit on another house shortly after. They showed me the original one, which had a new for sale sign in the garden. The new EA was the same one as the house she was paying the deposit on that day. When the EA was told the story, she got on the phone there and then to tell the guy she wouldn't be selling his house for him. Basically told him to fcuk off.

maximum12 wrote: »
    What is your issue with the EA ? It sounds like the EA has been shafted by the seller.

There are two EA involved.

I had viewed house with A, got offer accepted and paid deposit. Then A rings me to say seller has pulled out.

EA B rings me to say seller has decided she wants higher offer and is not selling for less. Has said he very confident he will get more.

I have no idea now should i show EA B my deposit agreement, or just leave them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Something else to bear in mind; Even if you offer more now and the second EA sells you the house, the first EA would likely be entitled to his fee. After all it was he who introduced you to the house. Perversely, its not in the second EAs interest to sell you the house.

This strikes me as the kind of situation where somebody has died and several siblings are fighting while trying to sell the property. Whatever price is agreed by one will always be unacceptable to others. Another possibility is thats its a divorce sale where one party insists the amount obtained is never enough.

Either situation is a nightmare for any buyer.

This is true, my friend is an EA and if they introduce the buyer then they are entitled to their fee, it's in the agreement the seller signs when taking on an EA. The seller obviously doesn't realise this by trying to keep u in the loop, they are messers is definitely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

There are two EA involved.

I had viewed house with A, got offer accepted and paid deposit. Then A rings me to say seller has pulled out.

EA B rings me to say seller has decided she wants higher offer and is not selling for less. Has said he very confident he will get more.

I have no idea now should i show EA B my deposit agreement, or just leave them off.

I would tell the original estate agent, walk away and let them fight it out.

Advertisement