Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby proofing a Christmas tree?

Options
  • 12-11-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I am looking for advice on baby proofing a Christmas tree.

I am planning ahead here. Have a very curious and fearless 15 month old and will soon need to baby proof a Xmas tree. We also have a 4 week old so time to make something is not available.

Anyone know of anything on the market that would be like picket fence that would protect a child from a Christmas tree in the corner of a room? Something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We found our two were interested for a day or two and eventually left it alone.
    Try putting it in a corner out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

We thought ours would be the same last year, he was almost 2 then, now he was incredibly curious, and by the end of the Christmas period the bottom of the tree was fairly bare in comparison to the rest of the tree, if he took an ornament off we moved it up and said ah ah. The tree survived and so did we. I would advise putting your more expensive ornaments way out of reach. I think unless you are worried about your child climbing up the tree you should be fine. I have seen people put movable fire guards around trees or those play pens that can double as room separators. Both not cheap I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

We thought ours would be the same last year, he was almost 2 then, now he was incredibly curious, and by the end of the Christmas period the bottom of the tree was fairly bare in comparison to the rest of the tree, if he took an ornament off we moved it up and said ah ah. The tree survived and so did we. I would advise putting your more expensive ornaments way out of reach. I think unless you are worried about your child climbing up the tree you should be fine. I have seen people put movable fire guards around trees or those play pens that can double as room separators. Both not cheap I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We put ours in a playpen. Second hand 55e on adverts. It worked perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We put ours in a playpen. Second hand 55e on adverts. It worked perfectly

The tree or the baby? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Mine was the same last christmas . He didn't get bored after a few days, he pulled lights and ornaments off every single day. He ate the pine needles. He pulled it over , "ah ah " didn't quite cut it.
    I've already being thinking about a tree that can be suspended from ceiling ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The tree or the baby? :D

Ha ha :) The baby. He was 11 months and an explorer. Now he's a 23 month old climber so it will remain inside the playpen this year!!

It's a hexagonal one which is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Blocked with a coffee table the last couple of years. A fire guard is a good one too, the big ones you can get in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

We found our two were interested for a day or two and eventually left it alone.
    Try putting it in a corner out of the way.

I have a strong feeling that our LO will be at it the whole Xmas, all the lights and shiny things.

Intending to put it in the corner of the sitting room. A fire guard might do the trick. Was thinking a a wood/plastic fence you see around some santas grottos, if anyone has come across anything like it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

We're having the same issue, and with very limited space, we decided to buy a small tree that we can put on a table in the corner but we've bought loads of decorations and lights so that place will still have a fab Christmas feel to it - or so we hope!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used a fireguard with a baby,cat and puppy the 1st year,
    I have only done it once since and used the playpen.
    I have 4 kids so it does depend on the individual child(7,5,3,2) they like it and would play with the baubles but never pulled at it.

elperello wrote: »
    That looks like what I am looking for, I'll have a look at it. Thanks

ChewChew wrote: »
    We're having the same issue, and with very limited space, we decided to buy a small tree that we can put on a table in the corner but we've bought loads of decorations and lights so that place will still have a fab Christmas feel to it - or so we hope!!!

Yeah maybe forgoing a bigger tree for a few years might well be something to consider.

Advertisement