Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Issue

Options
  • 12-11-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Folks, My shower at home(Triton Power Shower) Its driving me nuts. When i have it on cold, the flow is fine but if i turn it to hot it slows down and its very bad.

Ive taken out the Filter and de scaled it and cleaned it, Also took apart the impeller and cleaned it out. Im 100% Confident the flow into the shower is good.

The shower is only 2-3 years old. The water in the area is very limey and i de scaled the shower head and hose also.

Any Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,867 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Take the shower head off and turn the shower on to see what the temperature is like out of the end of the hose. If this temperature is perfect it would like like a blockage with the shower head, either buy a new one or leave it in decaling chemicals to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If your water is that "limey", it's possible that the boiler in the shower is full of limescale. Nothing you can do with it bar replace the boiler or better still, replace the shower. The boiler will cost a fair chunk of the price of a new shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is it an electric shower or power shower? People often mix them up.
    Assuming it's a power shower (AS2000XT or something like that) and you do have water going to the shower then it's either a collapsed hot water inlet in the shower or the Thermostatic cartridge needs replacing. Your local shower repair company can repair this for around 130 inc parts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've very poor quality water.

Every now and then I take the shower hose off. I go to the tank feeding the shower and squeeze in harpic limescale remover with the duck head and stick it in the pipe feeding the shower.

Run the shower until the water runs blue from the limescale remover, two person job.

Leave it over night with the shower full of cleaner.

Next morning with the hose still off run the shower on cold.

You'll get grey gloppy gunk at the start until it runs clear.

This has allowed my current shower to last a lot longer than any other I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Stoner wrote: »
    I've very poor quality water.

Every now and then I take the shower hose off. I go to the tank feeding the shower and put a harpic limescale remover with the duck head and stick it in the pipe feeding the shower.

Run the shower until the water runs blue from the limescale, two person job.

Leave it over night with the shower full of cleaner.

Next morning with the hose still off run the shower on cold.

You'll get grey gloppy gunk at the start until it runs clear.

This has allowed my current shower to last a lot longer than any other I've had.

Is it not risky putting chemicals into your main water tank like that tho? I take it will be feeding the cold taps in the bathrooms also?

Give it a good flushing I take.

I probably miss understood what your saying tho.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote:
    I probably miss understood what your saying tho.

You are probably right.

It's why I find the pipe feeding the shower .
    To identify the shower pipe if you can't see it. Run the shower and put your hand into the tank you will feel a significant draw/sucking of water down the correct one.

I put the angled head of the toilet duck down that pipe and squeeze while the shower runs, it draws it down like a Hoover.

Little but I assume some stays in the main tank if you do it right .

Imo it's worked for me . It's only a suggestion if you want to drain the tank afterwards go-ahead. I've a large tank anyway. Gets plenty of flushes too.

I've seen an immediate improvement in my shower after this.

If you search here for this issue and posts from me on it you'll find that I was in your position years ago, flying through showers since I started doing this bit of maintenance I haven't changed the shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

So basically the boiler unit in the shower has gotten so full of lime that its now breaking off in chunks, just like a kettle but i have a britta filter for the kettle. I managed to find a triton shower head that you can remove the plate and rinse it out after every shower. its fantastic!

I had steeped the old shower head in Oust and it solved nothing. Im not surprised after seeing the amount of dung that came out after i used the new head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Have you tried what stoner suggested? I'd say it would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I bought a new element can for 95 euro including postage and worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I bought a new element can for 95 euro including postage and worked a treat.

You'd be wise to investigate a water softening system. I know that they aren't cheap but it would pay for itself quickly if you have to replace an element every 2 years or so. You'd get longer out of washing machines, dishwasher and kettle.
    Worth thinking about for the future maybe

Advertisement