Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim has finally settled, can I get a cheaper quote?

Options
  • 12-11-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Nearly four years ago I crashed into the rear of the car in front of me. The claimant and his solicitors dragged it out for a few years but ultimately they settled for personal injury.

My no claims bonus was protected but because there was an open claim against me, I couldn't shop around and paid a high price to my current insurer.

Not that it's all over, can I shop around? Most insurers terms and conditions state no claims in the last three years... do they look at the accident date or the claim date?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It will ultimately depend on the final settlement value of the claim I think.

You will just need to get on the phones and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Now that the claim has been settled, you are free to shop around, However, you must declare the claim and that will affect your quotes.
    The claim was still ongoing till recently, wasn't it? the date of the actual accident dosent really matter to the insurance companies.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Now that the claim has been settled, you are free to shop around, However, you must declare the claim and that will affect your quotes.
    The claim was still ongoing till recently, wasn't it? the date of the actual accident dosent really matter to the insurance companies.

If he is asked has he had any accidents in the last 3 years he doesn't need to declare the accident.

If he is asked has he had any in the last 5 years then he does.

Its the date of the incident rather than settlement date that insurers will ask about and that's all that needs to be declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Thanks all, yes it was only settled a few weeks back. I know Aviva say in their conditions "no accidents or claims in the last three years" so that may exclude me there. Will get on the phones and see what happens. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

oakshade wrote: »
    Thanks all, yes it was only settled a few weeks back. I know Aviva say in their conditions "no accidents or claims in the last three years" so that may exclude me there. Will get on the phones and see what happens. Cheers!

But you said it happened nearly 4 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

But you said it happened nearly 4 years ago?

From what i see the accident was 4 years ago , the claim was closed out a few weeks ago.
    If the insurance company says 'any accidents or claims in the last 3 years', as the claim was closed a few weeks ago , does this count as 4 years ago or this year??

9935452 wrote: »
    From what i see the accident was 4 years ago , the claim was closed out a few weeks ago.
    If the insurance company says 'any accidents or claims in the last 3 years', as the claim was closed a few weeks ago , does this count as 4 years ago or this year??

All you need to say is "I had an accident 4 years ago when I was found to be at fault" They will then probably ask you what the claim settlement figure was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

9935452 wrote: »

The date they are interested in is when an accident occurred, which gave rise to the claim. i.e. approx 4 years ago

Advertisement