Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 205 McGregor V Alvarez

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Fair play to him, he us some fighter, some entertainer .

And all them people who are hurt along the way ,all the people I slagged off, I want to apologise, .... To ****in no one,

class I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

One thing this fight has proven that I've been thinking since day one. He should never ever have been fighting in Aldo's division.

Fair play to Mcgregor though. savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jericho Caine

The guy is a prick. The adulation he gets is borderline fetishistic. No doubt he is good at what he does but the attitude he brings to it stinks. Anyone who is driven by an ego of that size can't and shouldn't be revered so highly. No doubt I will be ripped to pieces by people who like him but the guy is a pox on our culture at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The guy is a prick. The adulation he gets is borderline fetishistic. No doubt he is good at what he does but the attitude he brings to it stinks. Anyone who is driven by an ego of that size can't and shouldn't be revered so highly. No doubt I will be ripped to pieces by people who like him but the guy is a pox on our culture at the minute.

Spot on. But he's laughing all the way to the bank with so many gullible band wagoners following the sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

He is undoubtedly ego driven and well able to big himself up.....and hard to stomach at times

But to be fair to him....he's able to back up his words

I do think its to be welcomed an Irish person to step forward and not be afraid of self respect and believing in himself.....as opposed to hiding behind false modesty

Well wanted in this day and age...imho

He is undoubtedly ego driven and well able to big himself up.....and hard to stomach at times

But to be fair to him....he's able to back up his words

I do think its to be welcomed an Irish person to step forward and not be afraid of self respect and believing in himself.....as opposed to hiding behind false modesty

Well wanted in this day and age...imho

If a person wants to conduct themselves with a modicum of humility, I don't think that's false modesty. I don't begrudge the guy his success but I look at other people who are successful in sport and their character and he just doesn't compare, yet loads of people in this country hold him up as a talisman. I heard him compared to Pearse, Collins etc. A hero for Ireland and that just isn't the case, we have far better to draw from than his ilk.
    road_high wrote: »
    Spot on. But he's laughing all the way to the bank with so many gullible band wagoners following the sh1t.

I wish he would hurry up and **** off back into obscurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wouldn't blame McGregor for his antics.What he does sells tickets and people lap it up.

Considering the election in the USA this week it seems boorishness is actually what people want so I don't blame him for what he does he's a product of the times we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

boorishness, Mcgregor isn't.

Plays the game to near perfection.

I suggest you blow some dust off a dictionary and read the definition of boorish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Find the fan wankery towards him from the average boards user to be a bit strange. Isn't a tracksuit in sock wearing, dole cheating, howya accented, bearded hipster everything they hate?

• Advertisement

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If a person wants to conduct themselves with a modicum of humility, I don't think that's false modesty. I don't begrudge the guy his success but I look at other people who are successful in sport and their character and he just doesn't compare, yet loads of people in this country hold him up as a talisman. I heard him compared to Pearse, Collins etc. A hero for Ireland and that just isn't the case, we have far better to draw from than his ilk.

I wish he would hurry up and **** off back into obscurity.

Is humility not a posh way of saying false modesty though???

If you believe your the best....say so and go out and prove it

Plenty of begrudgers around ireland only willing to knock you/tell you if you not/fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's pantomime in front of the camera. It makes money. I don't like all of it but a lot of it is why the attendance and PPV records are broken.

Doesn't mean it's a true reflection of the kind of person he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Where can I watch today? Will it be on bt sports or eir again today at any stage? Or anywhere else for that matter.
    Cheers

user2011 wrote: »
    boorishness, Mcgregor isn't.

Plays the game to near perfection.

I think that's pretty much what he is whenever he speaks after and before fights but it works which is what I acknowledged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

It's a pity that there's very little discussion of his actual performance here. He fought to near perfection. Alvarez was beat the moment that left landed properly for the first time. Amazing performance.

I think that's pretty much what he is whenever he speaks after and before fights but it works which is what I acknowledged.

You want to put him in a bracket that is below him fair enough, we are talking about the fight game here. This should be standard but he has put himself above standard level and shouldn't be knocked in anyway for it imo.

He has said what he wanted to do coming into the UFC he has now achieved it but he still has ***** knocking him for the stuff he says while what he does in the cage looked over. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's a pity that there's very little discussion of his actual performance here. He fought to near perfection. Alvarez was beat the moment that left landed properly for the first time. Amazing performance.

That's what the MMA forum is for. :rolleyes:

I prefer to lament his popularity and despair at what humanity deems are qualities worth revering.

I prefer to lament his popularity and despair at what humanity deems are qualities worth revering.

:(

:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

He makes the right money for the right people, mainly himself. As long as this continues the UFC will continue to roll out the red carpet and let him cherry pick opponents, hold up weight divisions for ego matches and hand him title shots in divisions in which he wasn't even ranked. I bet his next fight is Diaz 3 for the LW belt @209.

He has no real interest in advancing MMA from it's current position as, let's face it, a niche sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

McGregor is a smart guy. A shrewd businessman and entertainer. Knows his market and how to milk it for all its worth now because a career as a fighter won't last long.

I say hats off to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Judging by the McG thread on mma forum it's frowned upon to use language like yours.

Strict diet of regurgitated clichés.

He's one hardy boy though, obvs very talented, seriously hard working, but a lot of the fan boys are beyond cringe.

You want to put him in a bracket that is below him fair enough, we are talking about the fight game here. This should be standard but he has put himself above standard level and shouldn't be knocked in anyway for it imo.

He has said what he wanted to do coming into the UFC he has now achieved it but he still has ***** knocking him for the stuff he says while what he does in the cage looked over. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You said he wasn't boorish earlier.

The definition of boorish is "rough and bad-mannered; coarse,rude."

McGregors antics certainly fit that description.

You obviously didn't read my post properly because I said he was doing it to sell tickets.

Judging by the McG thread on mma forum it's frowned upon to use language like yours.

Strict diet of regurgitated clichés.

He's one hardy boy though, obvs very talented, seriously hard working, but a lot of the fan boys are beyond cringe.

Frowned upon? It's a lynch offense. They do slobber over him somewhat over there, don't they?

You obviously didn't read my post properly because I said he was doing it to sell tickets.

You have hit on another problem here, we now live in a time where facts and knowledge can be disregarded if they don't coalesce with one's opinion. User just wrote ''he isn't boorish'' when he very clearly is. That point is not debatable. Yet User feels it is a point to contest, even though to anyone with a grasp of etiquette would agree with us. This type of attitude seems to crop up with the McGregor fans I notice and seems to be a trend that is intensifying. Not really sure where I am going with this, just musing.

Frowned upon? It's a lynch offense. They do slobber over him somewhat over there, don't they?

You have hit on another problem here, we now live in a time where facts and knowledge can be disregarded if they don't coalesce with one's opinion. User just wrote ''he isn't boorish'' when he very clearly is. That point is not debatable. Yet User feels it is a point to contest, even though to anyone with a grasp of etiquette would agree with us. This type of attitude seems to crop up with the McGregor fans I notice and seems to be a trend that is intensifying. Not really sure where I am going with this, just musing.

Are we at a tea party with the Queen (etiquette)???

rough, bad-mannered I think goes hand in hand with the fight game and when it gets backed up in the cage, in the words of the boorish I JUST DON'T GIVE A F**K.

• Advertisement

Eugh. Go back to your shanty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Whatever people make of his behaviour, his business acumen has to be respected.

Antic's!!!!

Do you believe what he says and does on camera is the real reflection of him.. Or is it just.. umm antic's

Antic's!!!!

Do you believe what he says and does on camera is the real reflection of him.. Or is it just.. umm antic's

Can you not read.

I said it was in order to sell tickets.

It still doesn't mean it's not boorish behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

He is an entertainer, it is his job to sell fights. If he doesn't, he doesn't make real money. Amazes me that people think that is really him, it is just an act. He is probably the most boring sod at home putting on the fire and eating his dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Its.his.job.

Christ.

Advertisement