Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Cycling World Cup Apledoorn 11-13 Nov *no spoiler tags required*

Options
  • 12-11-2016 9:41pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

The action kicked off yesterday, although I think the only TV coverage in on Eurosport and the UCI Youtube channel tomorrow

The women's Team Pursuit squad have not made the trip this week, although there's still plenty of Irish representation with Lydia Boylan, Lydia Gurley and Shannon McCurley in the women's squad and Eoin Mullen, Felix English and Mark Downey in the men's squad

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Great news today with Mark Downey winning the points race following up Felix English taking 4th in yesterday's scratch. Shannon McCurley has taken 9th place in the Keirin with Lydia Boylan also 9th in the Omnium

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Live on Europsort 2 between 1 and 4pm, followed by "Cycling - Highlights from a cycling event":confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Lydia Gurley 6th in points - beating the likes of Kirsten Wild

Enjoyed the racing and great to see Downey get the gold.

Now if only we had an indoor velodrome in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lydia Gurley 6th in points - beating the likes of Kirsten Wild

Enjoyed the racing and great to see Downey get the gold.

Now if only we had an indoor velodrome in this country...

Now if only people would come out and support track cycling in Ireland as it exists and help it grow...

Now if only people would come out and support track cycling in Ireland as it exists and help it grow...

I do - I raced at Sundrive at the end of the season and am trying to get more of the club down too.

• Advertisement

I do - I raced at Sundrive at the end of the season and am trying to get more of the club down too.

I wasn't criticsing you personally, I was commenting on a general malaise regarding track cycling. But, I'm tired of bringing it up and shouldn't have bothered mentioning it again. And this isn't the place to bring it up either, Iguess.

No harm at all in mentioning it so far as I'm concerned, but then again I'm a trackie. Plenty around here possibly don't appreciate how enjoyable it is to race track as well as the craic around the racing that does take place at Sundrive. I do find it interesting how people do take to it once they've given it a go, and it's something I'm going to try and get my 2 youngest into next year

I wasn't criticsing you personally, I was commenting on a general malaise regarding track cycling. But, I'm tired of bringing it up and shouldn't have bothered mentioning it again. And this isn't the place to bring it up either, Iguess.

No, here is as good a place as any, especially considering that from what little I heard of the CI AGM the new velodrome is not likely to happen any time soon.

There was a post up on my club site about the Velodrome and hoping it would get some funding. One response was that maybe those that actually track cycle should pay for it and not expect a free handout.

If that's the general sentiment then it's unlikely to happen.

I'm a latecomer to any type of cycle racing but can see how good track is for development of skills. I only know of the Wednesday nights I've done in Sundrive but would imagine that if an indoor track was available something similar would be available a lot more often and not be weather dependent.

I'm picking figures from the air here but... You then suddenly go from 150 regular track cyclists to 1000+ and the potential to discover new talent is greatly improved. Success breeds success, we didnt build on Martin Irvines success, we wont be building on Mark Downeys success...

I never posted my usual rant here cos I'm tired of it. Looks like the track commission feels the same way

Advertisement