Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selfish charging

• 12-11-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

there was a leaf charging at tesco maynooth,fully charged at 11am yesterday,still there at 8pm today,can anything be done about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Was it there all that time? Were you?

Also, there is a 2nd port on that charge point, so two cars can charge off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sam7777

there was a note on the windscreen at 11am yesterday,telling them how selfish they were,it was still on it this evening,i know there is a second one,its been busy both times ive been there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They'll have to have fines for this.

sam7777 wrote: »
    its been busy both times ive been there

I've been using that Tesco since before the charge points went in and only twice have I seen a car charging there, and one of those times it was my own. There is another identical public charge point in Louisa Bridge station car park a few miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

n97 mini wrote: »
    I've been using that Tesco since before the charge points went in and only twice have I seen a car charging there, and one of those times it was my own. There is another identical public charge point in Louisa Bridge station car park a few miles away.

That's not the point. The point is some prick is plugging their car in and just leaving it there.

• Advertisement

I once parked slightly on the line between two spaces in a virtually empty car park not far from there. When I came back an hour later someone had left a note on my windscreen saying "parking muppet". I left the note there for a couple of days to remind myself not to be bothered by little things.

Yes the " I'll do what I want because I can" attitude. We've all experienced it.

Edups wrote: »
    That's not the point. The point is some prick is plugging their car in and just leaving it there.

my point exactly,in the five weeks since i bought a leaf,i have never seen the charging points not been used by at least one car,there was two there each time i was,i cant understand how some people can defend this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They should be setup to charge you more after it's full charged

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

Maybe the plan to charge for time on the charger instead of KWh is the way to go.
    We just bought a second hand Leaf to use as a runabout when home. Daughter can use it when we are not home. Turns out you can get them extremely cheap in the uk now (Actually every car we have bought for 20 years we have bought in the uk). Got it so cheap during our last trip over that we couldnt not buy it really (£4800 (Was advertised at £5900 first, so there is loads of room for negotiation)), 2013, 24000 miles), even though we were put off by the queues at chargers that we have seen before.
    We will just charge it at home overnight via the little plug in charger it came with and that will do us.
    Probably wont really use it for long journeys. Lovely car and lovely drive as long as you dont end up waiting to charge.
    Waiting at chargers takes all of the happiness out of it. Should really be a lot more fast chargers around the place and more at each location too if you were to want to go on long trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

Maybe the plan to charge for time on the charger instead of KWh is the way to go.
    We just bought a second hand Leaf to use as a runabout when home. Daughter can use it when we are not home. Turns out you can get them extremely cheap in the uk now (Actually every car we have bought for 20 years we have bought in the uk). Got it so cheap during our last trip over that we couldnt not buy it really (£4800 (Was advertised at £5900 first, so there is loads of room for negotiation)), 2013, 24000 miles), even though we were put off by the queues at chargers that we have seen before.
    We will just charge it at home overnight via the little plug in charger it came with and that will do us.
    Probably wont really use it for long journeys. Lovely car and lovely drive as long as you dont end up waiting to charge.
    Waiting at chargers takes all of the happiness out of it. Should really be a lot more fast chargers around the place and more at each location too if you were to want to go on long trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I love stuff like this, people get so worked up, you have no idea what's going on with that person and their life. I'd say okay fair enough if it was happening frequently but a once off? thank god that's the biggest complaint you have in your life.
    Maybe they got delayed, were unwell, had an emergency crop up, forgot? There's a million different reasons you don't know about only one of them is someone being selfish. Like the other poster said about the parking try not to let Yourself be bothered by the little things, be thankful that's your biggest complaint about your life.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

n97 mini wrote: »
    I once parked slightly on the line between two spaces in a virtually empty car park not far from there. When I came back an hour later someone had left a note on my windscreen saying "parking muppet". I left the note there for a couple of days to remind myself not to be bothered by little things.

Nice attitude.

We all know deep down it really did bother you and we can only hope that you now make more of an effort (it's not that hard) to park between the lines

Nice attitude.

We all know deep down it really did bother you and we can only hope that you now make more of an effort (it's not that hard) to park between the lines
    Was it you that left the note :-p

OP were you ever not able to charge at that Tesco due to both sockets being in use?

I love stuff like this, people get so worked up, you have no idea what's going on with that person and their life. I'd say okay fair enough if it was happening frequently but a once off? thank god that's the biggest complaint you have in your life.
    Maybe they got delayed, were unwell, had an emergency crop up, forgot? There's a million different reasons you don't know about only one of them is someone being selfish. Like the other poster said about the parking try not to let Yourself be bothered by the little things, be thankful that's your biggest complaint about your life.

who said its the biggest complaint about my life? you know nothing about me or the health issues i have

Oh lads come on.

yes on both occasions mentioned,and other times too,especially weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They should be setup to charge you more begin draining the battery 20 minutes after it's fully charged

Better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

appfry wrote: »
    Maybe the plan to charge for time on the charger instead of KWh is the way to go..

I think this is a bad idea. They should charge per kWh while charging then charge per hour when full.

TBi wrote: »
    I think this is a bad idea. They should charge per kWh while charging then charge per hour when full.

Charge per MIN , from 30 mins after the charge finishes. 30 mins grace is pretty fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It is comforting to think something is wrong in their life, but in reality they are probably not considerate of others at all rather than an emergency etc. What if OP was going across the country and their battery was almost dead. Should they just suck it up that they can't charge their car? It is an electric car. It is not like parking where they can go around the block a few times and hope they find a space.

If you were sitting there for 9 hours with a near dead battery, would you still be totally zen about the whole thing?

Be the hokey. I'm at that charge point as I type and there are two Leafs plugged in, a red 161 and a white 151. *Both* are finished charging. The red one has said note under the wiper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Innocent question here, not trying to side with anyone....

Is it possible to unplug the cable from the charger once charged? Scp and fcp? (And leave other end connected to the now fully charged car)

Just wondering if the situation arose for myself could I unplug if my own cable could reach from the adjacent parking spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Can we have no more vandalism suggestions please gents. I'm sure nobody would like to return after a genuine delay to find their pride and joy damaged!

newacc2015 wrote: »
    but in reality they are probably not considerate of others at all.

Like that Woman from Kill I met a some months ago, she arrived just before me at the Naas DC, I asked her would she be long I'm going nearly to Carlow and she said no.

I then watched her go to the Lidl across the road, she came back about 45 min later , which is when I asked her where she lived , she said Kill , then I said , so you need a 45 min charge to get to kill ?

Very, very unfair. People are so inconsiderate. I told her all I needed was 10 mins that I would have plugged her back, she just got into the car and drove off. It's not nice to experience after a 12 hr shift, up at 6 home at 9, but that's my problem sure and I wouldn't mind if someone absolutely needed the charge but to think she hadn't even the tiniest bit of decency to ask me how long I needed !

Another time I debated having some decency at the charge point to another local woman I was trashed and abused on the Irish EV owners FB page, not to be confused with the Irish EV owners Association and not by a small number of people so this will tell you the mentality that's out there and how you should be careful and don't confront anyone if they come back because there are many nutters out there and you'll most likely have your car reg posted all over FB !

Innocent question here, not trying to side with anyone....

Is it possible to unplug the cable from the charger once charged? Scp and fcp? (And leave other end connected to the now fully charged car)

Just wondering if the situation arose for myself could I unplug if my own cable could reach from the adjacent parking spot?

Chademo unlocks when the charge has ended, and it's considered OK to unplug it if you're in need. It's the only type that does unlock though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could a system not be put in place as to when the car is fully charged once a half an hour has passed that the car is then billed €20 an hour or part thereof that it is left connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

sam7777 wrote: »

who said its the biggest complaint about my life? you know nothing about me or the health issues i have

No I don't but if your taking to the internets to complain about it it's clearly a bigger issue to you than anything else. My point was just let it go who cares like... focus on the serious stuff in life that you can control.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

My own experience of 2 months EV ownership was when I badly needed a charge on two seperate occasions in October and there was a leaf seemingly owned by a hackney or taxi driver in Gorey Co. Wexford that is abandoned and left there at the fast charger .
    I suspect this owner has 2 leafs that he uses in Gorey and interchanges when he needs them blocking the charger.
    I have reported the incidents to ESB ecars
    I inquired in the shop as to who owned them and was told it was a local taxi driver. and to unplug if they were charged.
    The fast charge involved is the

Maxol Service Station, Arklow Road, Gorey, County Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Could have sworn I had a car earlier....

Oh well

Advertisement