Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selfish charging

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Just passed back that way again. Red Leaf plugged in still. My theory is it's someone gone to the airport on the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Charge per MIN , from 30 mins after the charge finishes. 30 mins grace is pretty fair.

per minute charging is very unfair to people with older batteries , and or less efficient charge system

KWH , plus a simple penalty system for over staying when charge session finishes ( there are a simple number of ways that could be implemented today )

jerryg wrote: »
    My own experience of 2 months EV ownership was when I badly needed a charge on two seperate occasions in October and there was a leaf seemingly owned by a hackney or taxi driver in Gorey Co. Wexford that is abandoned and left there at the fast charger .
    I suspect this owner has 2 leafs that he uses in Gorey and interchanges when he needs them blocking the charger.
    I have reported the incidents to ESB ecars
    I inquired in the shop as to who owned them and was told it was a local taxi driver. and to unplug if they were charged.
    The fast charge involved is the

Maxol Service Station, Arklow Road, Gorey, County Wexford

oh thats our local " character " Francie. he has 6 taxis all together i believe

Could a system not be put in place as to when the car is fully charged once a half an hour has passed that the car is then billed €20 an hour or part thereof that it is left connected?

the simple solution is a end of session time quota per 24 hours on a given FCP. lets say you get 30 minutes grace per day per charger for overstays ( i.e. an overstay is the car still plugged in but not charging ), Use up your overstay quantum and you cant charge at that particular charger for 24 hours.

that could be implemented today in the back office system that validates the Ecar cards.

( it should be noted that currently some FCPs cannot tell the difference between end of charge session and car disconnected , but thats only a software upgrade )

penalty billing is not a good idea , as in some instances the user may have been delayed through no fault of they own , the overstay quota allows them a degree of overstay

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Thanks BoatMad but what do you do legally with "Francie" in the immediate future as above ?

• Advertisement

My view, which I'll be personally sending to the CER, is that there should be per minute charging once a charge has ended.

Additionally, if they want to charge per kw/h it should be added to my electricity bill at whatever rate I currently pay... I shop around for domestic supply and would like to continue to be rewarded for my efforts. This parallels the domestic situation where ESBN own and maintain the infrastructure, but the supply is open to competition, i.e. Airtricity etc.

BoatMad wrote: »
    per minute charging is very unfair to people with older batteries , and or less efficient charge system

KWH , plus a simple penalty system for over staying when charge session finishes ( there are a simple number of ways that could be implemented today )

This is what I posted.

Charge per MIN , from 30 mins after the charge finishes. 30 mins grace is pretty fair.

What I meant was

After the charge finishes then charge per minute they're stuck to the charge point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

penalty billing is not a good idea , as in some instances the user may have been delayed through no fault of they own , the overstay quota allows them a degree of overstay

Penalty billing applies to normal parking so could be applied here. Hopefully they will allow people with valid reasons (medical/emergency) to easily recoup the extra cost.

TBi wrote: »
    Penalty billing applies to normal parking so could be applied here. Hopefully they will allow people with valid reasons (medical/emergency) to easily recoup the extra cost.

Given the proposed system is a pay as you go , with in effect a top up account , I fail to see how penalty billing would actually work

n97 mini wrote: »
    My view, which I'll be personally sending to the CER, is that there should be per minute charging once a charge has ended.

Additionally, if they want to charge per kw/h it should be added to my electricity bill at whatever rate I currently pay... I shop around for domestic supply and would like to continue to be rewarded for my efforts. This parallels the domestic situation where ESBN own and maintain the infrastructure, but the supply is open to competition, i.e. Airtricity etc.

Good submission idea , even of the CER seems set against kWh billing

Personally I don't think any form of monetary charging is appropriate in the near future

• Advertisement

jerryg wrote: »
    Thanks BoatMad but what do you do legally with "Francie" in the immediate future as above ?

Nothing , I've already reported him to ecars. There nothing they can do

I still find it strange that people , at this stage of EV evolution in Ireland , want to have monetary penalisation

The fact remains ,if you look around Europe at fast charging pricing regimes ( uk Holland ) is that typical charges are running at anything upto 50 cents per kWh ( whether time or unit based ) . If that was to arrive in Ireland EVs relying on the fcp system would be upwards of twice as expensive to operate compared to modern small diesels. Add to that the difficulties with EVs , the restriction on range and use ability and unknown residuals , and I'd say there would be little queueing at any fcp , in fact d say there'd be little EV usage at all. !!

Be careful what you wish for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

There were two cars parked on the charge spots near TGI in blanchardstown Shopping Center last weekend for at least 6 hours each. It was a little difficult to find spots elsewhere so most likely the owners just couldn't have been bothered moving them once charged. I imagine the problem will increase as Christmas approaches.

I charged the Leaf at Blanch yesterday. Knowing I would be away from the car for an hour I opted for AC so that the Chademo/CCS would be free for anyone stuck for a charge. I'm not sure fast chargers should be installed at locations such as this, they'd be better off on main arterial routes.

Although I had heard so many bad things about this location I didn't see any abuse while I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Surely the actual problem here is that there isn't enough charging points. . If some of the power tool manufacturers can make a 6 or 8 port charger then surely it can be done in this application.

Also I'm sure they could put a feature on the system that you select how long you will be there for and it ques up the cars to optimise the charging.

Surely the actual problem here is that there isn't enough charging points.

If people are hogging chargers then building more chargers is just a work around. It doesn't cure the problem, just helps people live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Surely the actual problem here is that there isn't enough charging points. . If some of the power tool manufacturers can make a 6 or 8 port charger then surely it can be done in this application.

I agree there should be multi plug charging points.. so say 3 cars could be plugged in even if only 1 car is fast charging ... when the fast charge car nears 80% it'll slow down anyway.. allowing the others to speed up.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

OH there's definitely not enough charge points be they AC or DC.

I've been lucky at Blanch, usually one AC side is free but watch out for the right AC side, it can stop charging for no reason and you might find the car unplugged when you get back, so don't blow a gasket and think they unplugged you, it's not the only AC point that does this too.

I find the 6.6 Kw highly useful , when I travel nearly from Carlow to Blanch after 2-2.5 hrs I've plenty to get home, if I had the 3.3 Kw I would need twice as long !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The fact remains ,if you look around Europe at fast charging pricing regimes ( uk Holland ) is that typical charges are running at anything upto 50 cents per kWh ( whether time or unit based )

How have EV sales in those countries been affected by after the introduction of payment for charging?

Free charging has not encouraged many people to buy EV in Ireland the last 5 years.........

• Advertisement

Free charging has not encouraged many people to buy EV in Ireland the last 5 years.........

But paid charging (at the rates that were floated last year) would have stopped me from purchasing one...

Why is that ? would you not do most of your charging at home ?

Why is that ? would you not do most of your charging at home ?

I do. But have needed to use on street charging to get home. If I had to pay the extra monthly charge for this (at the insane rates esb floated) then I'd have bought something different. I wouldn't have minded paying per minute when needed.

I am starting to think you are programmed to disagree with everything someone says. Also I have a valid worry and you instantly dismissed it. I feel sorry for people who come here looking for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Introduction of charges caused me to go back ICE after nearly 5 years of EV. I know other people in similar situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

People don't respect free things and services... but how charging fees are structured would affect take up ...
    On street parking should be more expensive than home charging... (to encourage people to charge at home .. )
    Fast charging should be more expensive than regular ...
    Free parking while charging is a nice perk .. but it does encourage bay blocking ...
    Prioritising charger repairs and maintenance,as well as penalising abuse would help encourage uptake...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

September1 wrote: »
    Introduction of charges caused me to go back ICE after nearly 5 years of EV. I know other people in similar situation.

What charges ?

You went back to ICE because you wanted to and that's fine, you probably found a nicer, bigger car and didn't want to suffer range degradation like you would have in the Gen I leaf.

So even if there were charges, you'd go back to ICE to give the two fingers to the ESB ? you'd still be far better off in the EV doing most of your charging at home.

Unbelievable sh**e to come out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

It should be easy enough to implement a free 30 min charging slot and then to begin charging money after that point.
    The same way with the city bikes you get 30 mins free and begin to charge after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Selfish charging seems to be ever on the increase.

People leaving cars plugged in for hours beyond completion or not even plugged in.

What sort of mindset do people have that they don't stop to think how annoying it must be for other people?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What sort of mindset do people have that they don't stop to think how annoying it must be for other people?

The same mindset as people who think it's ok to double park in front of schools and Churches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unbelievable sh**e to come out with.
    Keep it civil please.

Advertisement