Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selfish charging

Comments

BoatMad wrote: »
    s.welstead wrote: »
    A small reliable 2nd hand car or bangernomics would probably be best of all from a TCO point of view. TCO is useful but thankfully not every decision is based on that. It should be part of the decision making process but not the main one.

Huh TCO should be the main decider , no point buying a car you can't afford !!. After that then it's all that " heart over head stuff "
    Have you ever had a car that you wanted to drive as opposed to having to endure? Your comment seem quite narrow minded tbh. Personally I would gladly pay a premium driving electric now that I have gotten used to drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Huh TCO should be the main decider , no point buying a car you can't afford !!. After that then it's all that " heart over head stuff "

Well obviously you need to be able to afford it. My point being it's not the main decision otherwise we'd all be driving cars that can be picked up for a few hundred at a time and running them into the ground.

No you wouldn't because if no one bought new cars there'd be no 2nd hand to buy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

No you wouldn't because if no one bought new cars there'd be no 2nd hand to buy .

No one would what? People buy new cars all the time - that doesn't mean that the TCO is better at that point. Some stick a greater value at having the latest 'tech', others *may* be able to claim back expenses against business use OR against tax (I said *may*). There's a case for some to buy new - but for most people, it will not represent the best TCO. (again, I've said *most* people).

Well obviously you need to be able to afford it. My point being it's not the main decision otherwise we'd all be driving cars that can be picked up for a few hundred at a time and running them into the ground.
    No one would what? People buy new cars all the time - that doesn't mean that the TCO is better at that point. Some stick a greater value at having the latest 'tech', others *may* be able to claim back expenses against business use OR against tax (I said *may*). There's a case for some to buy new - but for most people, it will not represent the best TCO. (again, I've said *most* people).

I meant if "we all" bought cars for a few hundred 2nd hand cars wouldn't be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I meant if "we all" bought cars for a few hundred 2nd hand cars wouldn't be available.

Does that really need to be explained? I would have thought that kinda goes without saying.

It does to some people......

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

samih wrote: »
    Have you ever had a car that you wanted to drive as opposed to having to endure? Your comment seem quite narrow minded tbh. Personally I would gladly pay a premium driving electric now that I have gotten used to drive one.

I had heard this before, but i think it rings true now having lived it.
    I find driving the leaf actually like owning a horse.
    It needs to be fed and cared for. You have to nurture it and not go too far too fast. Sometimes you even have to walk with it. With long periods spent waiting around while it has a feed.
    More like owning a fragile pet than a machine.

:D

So what's an ICE like owning then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Like owning a narcoleptic horse that refuses to eat anything except truffles and constantly $hits while travelling down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

appfry wrote: »
    I had heard this before, but i think it rings true now having lived it.
    I find driving the leaf actually like owning a horse.
    It needs to be fed and cared for. You have to nurture it and not go too far too fast. Sometimes you even have to walk with it. With long periods spent waiting around while it has a feed.
    More like owning a fragile pet than a machine.

:D

I find my leaf to be like owning a really reliable, very cheap to run and very comfortable place to sit for my commute and daily driving. It's not for everyone but where the range suits your typical driving distance it can't be beaten, imho, for comfort, reliability and running costs. I still take the (comparatively) slow, noisy and thirsty diesel van for long trips though. As soon as I can afford an EV with the space for my windsurfing kit and the range for a trip to the coast I'll be getting shut of ICE entirely. For the moment i have to compromise and EV it most of the time.

Well it gorges itself every now again again, but you dont have to nurse it all the time. Have one of those too.

appfry wrote: »
    Well it gorges itself every now again again, but you dont have to nurse it all the time. Have one of those too.
    The current crop come with drawbacks and compromises - along with upsides. Anybody who moans about that AFTER having made the decision to purchase one hasn't done their due diligence (in terms of what is suitable or unsuitable transportation for their particular purposes and circumstances).

The current crop come with drawbacks and compromises - along with upsides. Anybody who moans about that AFTER having made the decision to purchase one hasn't done their due diligence (in terms of what is suitable or unsuitable transportation for their particular purposes and circumstances).

Not moaning. Just stating the facts. A leaf had its pluses and minuses.
    Some people are happy to take a few hours longer to cross the country when they need to. Some arent.

Went Dublin to Cork in the leaf and will never do it again. Thought I would never get there.
    Took the ICE the next time.

But for buzzing around Dublin its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

ted1 wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see the cost of installing a charge point along a whole kerb. With multiple taps. Run the cable in a box placed in front of the kerb, 100 spaces =100 charge points, then use a parking meter as before and just enter your parking bay number and the max charge you need.
    It could tap into the nearest ESB traffic so as to ensure supply is there

Kind of like this but even more cost effective

https://cleantechnica.com/2015/08/19/portland-airport-gets-record-number-of-ev-charging-stations/

and just where will all that ESB power come from ???

TCO calculations dont mean that you necessarily then buy the cheapest TCO. What it means is that you can compare financially the costs of letting you heart overrule your head.

I ran the spreadsheets for the leaf against a new small diesel, on the face of it the diesels TCO was slightly less , but I went for the Leaf

its like people that dont actually compute the total cost of credit and just look at headline monthly paybacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

its like people that dont actually compute the total cost of credit and just look at headline monthly paybacks

A salesmans dream!

KCross wrote: »
    A salesmans dream!

I was in earshot of a couple buying a car this way recently, I cringed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

So Tesla are going to charge 40cent per minute for hogging a charger, starting 5 minutes after the car is full

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-idle-fee

Interesting to see how this pans out. And if there is a need to apply something similar in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I charged my car at Texaco this morning. Took me two minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

OH using fast charger today. Twat drives up and immediately tries to get her to finish. Says she's on the third light and it's bad for the battery more than 80%. OH says she has a long journey and she'll be about 20 mins. Twat sits in and drives off.

Dardania wrote: »
    So Tesla are going to charge 40cent per minute for hogging a charger, starting 5 minutes after the car is full

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-idle-fee

Interesting to see how this pans out. And if there is a need to apply something similar in Ireland.

Hmmm.. So if someone is delayed through no fault of their own they would be facing an astronomical bill. Another sweet incentive to buy an electric car. Compliments their crappy range. Wouldn't it make more sense to provide more parking bays so more cars can utilise the charger instead of penalising people for having a bad day?

Hmmm.. So if someone is delayed through no fault of their own they would be facing an astronomical bill. Another sweet incentive to buy an electric car. Compliments their crappy range. Wouldn't it make more sense to provide more parking bays so more cars can utilise the charger instead of penalising people for having a bad day?
    Per minute is out of order. Something more reasonable - a grace time followed by X cents per additional half hour. This shouldn't be a revenue raising exercise - simply a deterrent for those that abuse the facility.

Per minute is out of order. Something more reasonable - a grace time followed by X cents per additional half hour. This shouldn't be a revenue raising exercise - simply a deterrent for those that abuse the facility.

The ''fast charge'' take 75mins to charge from 0-100% I believe, 40mins for 50% charge. Too long. If E cars were more than a novelty there would be punch ups at these charge stations. They would be fairly dangerous places to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The ''fast charge'' take 75mins to charge from 0-100% I believe, 40mins for 50% charge. Too long. If E cars were more than a novelty there would be punch ups at these charge stations. They would be fairly dangerous places to be.

Not if the range is decent and people plan ahead by charging at home first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I charged my car at Texaco this morning. Took me two minutes.

And probably between €50 and €70. We charge our car when sleeping, for less than €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Hmmm.. So if someone is delayed through no fault of their own they would be facing an astronomical bill.

Fuel is free, parking isn't. Stick that up your exhaust pipe and smoke it.

4858e1109c1ed7b606013408eeab0db5e11cced270780cb874fdebe5259b9c06.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Water John wrote: »
    OH using fast charger today. Twat drives up and immediately tries to get her to finish. Says she's on the third light and it's bad for the battery more than 80%. OH says she has a long journey and she'll be about 20 mins. Twat sits in and drives off.

Where was this, out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Serious amount of whingers on this thread

Advertisement