Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to be a Ranger?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What site. Always wanted to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

As per Cass' link: https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/43095/booklet.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

WoW....not impressed with the money on offer. You'd be fairly struggling for the first few years on that and with the list of debarrments it doesn't bode well for previous civil / public sector workers carrying pensions etc....

I thought a change of scenery might suit me and carry me over to OAP status but I'll rot where I am.......

• Subscribers Posts: 335 ✭✭noeleire

You could be a power ranger.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

noeleire wrote: »
    You could be a power ranger.. lol

I wanna be an Airborne Ranger...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You'll have to be independently wealth to be able to work for the NWPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What exactly does the job entail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

WoW....not impressed with the money on offer. You'd be fairly struggling for the first few years on that and with the list of debarrments it doesn't bode well for previous civil / public sector workers carrying pensions etc....

I thought a change of scenery might suit me and carry me over to OAP status but I'll rot where I am.......
    You really would want to have your money made , raising a family on 22,000 and the light at the end of tunnel after what maybe 10 years of service 40k , you would really be on the bread line for what is an essentially demanding job.

You really would want to have your money made , raising a family on 22,000 and the light at the end of tunnel after what maybe 10 years of service 40k , you would really be on the bread line for what is an essentially demanding job.

Absolutely, I'm coming up to 30yrs service (long time idle) and I couldn't see an incentive other than the possible romance of the job, nor could I see a young person making a go of it if they where family oriented ie dependents, housing etc.
    Regardless of actual work load on a day to day or week to week basis that's a pitiful wage to offer for a 39hrs, 5 over 7 week, with out of hours work as routine.

How many will apply is one thing , how many will stay is another?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Not sure how true this is, but I heard they want applicants with a third level education, preferably a PhD., but minimum undergraduate degree, in some related subject. For that kind of money it's an absolute joke, if the above is actually true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Not sure how true this is, but I heard they want applicants with a third level education, preferably a PhD., but minimum undergraduate degree, in some related subject. For that kind of money it's an absolute joke, if the above is actually true.

It states in the job description if you read it that only a leaving cert is needed but obviously other qualifications will bump you up a bit further.
    If like to go for it but the money is dour.

Before we scare anyone off these are the qualifications and experience looked for as per the literature:

Qualifications and Experience

Essential:

Candidates must on or before the closing date for the competition meet the following
    essential requirements:
     A good general education.
     Possess a satisfactory knowledge and keen interest in wildlife and nature conservation.
     Hold a full clean driving licence.
     Ability to write clear reports.
     Physical ability to perform the duties of the post including foot patrols.
     Good IT skills, particularly for word-processing, data analysis and report-writing.

In addition candidates must demonstrate an appropriate level of proficiency in those
    competencies listed in the 'Key Competencies for the Role' section below.

Desirable:
     Experience of using GIS (Geographical Information Systems) is desirable.
     Previous employment in wildlife management/nature conservation.
     qualification in Biology or related sciences.

Specific Personal Attributes:
     Good decision making skills.
     Pragmatic approach to problem solving.
     Ability to work alone and/or under pressure.
     Confidence and courtesy in dealing with the public.
     Adaptability to a changing work environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They want an awful lot from the employee considering the sh1te wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Back in the late 90's, when my time in the BA was coming to its inevitable end, I looked into a similar job in Wales.

If I remember it at all, it's because what the prospective employers wanted was, in no particular order: -

Essential -

1. High degree of personal fitness.

2. Decision-making and situational awareness applicable to the situation.

3. Bi-lingual Welsh/English.

4. Extensive knowledge of regional and local history - degree would be good.

5. Degree in earth science subject - GIS etc - BSc = good, but MSc would be better.

6. Full UK driving license.

7. Extensive knowledge of the use, application and planning of aerial imagery/survey work.

8. Current UK firearms certificate holder.

Desireable -

1. PPL.

2. Construction/site plant operators license.

3. German/French speaker.

5. Rotary wing experience as crew.

6. Inshore navigation certificate and Safety at Sea Certificate.

7. Degree in forestry/natural resource conservation/husbandry.

8. Shotgun certificate Holder.

All this for the princely sum of just under £17000 p/a.

I wrote back to them asking if they wanted the applicant to be able to turn water into wine, as well.

For some reason I never got a reply.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I stuck in for it for the barney of it.Although crap wages, it sure as fuk beats being self employed in this kip betime!
    Will no doubt go to some college kid with a degree in biology and SFA knowledge of the really real world.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Ok got an email from the dept that they recived a blank detailed application PDF form from me,and could I fill it out and send it back to them ASAP by 1o clock tomrrow??
    Intrestingly enough,I NEVER got the detailed round 2 pdf application in the first place! So how could I have sent it back blank or not?

Anyway, as predicted ,give it to some mid 20 year old college kid who has a degree in some "ology"and a degree in" burro crat" speak and wouldn't know a deer snare if it was around their neck and jerking them off the ground.:rolleyes:

The four questions are a total bollix of report writing in specific beuracrat speak that needs four words to say one word,and still not make any sense at all.
    As Tac pointed out changing water into wine seems to be required here as well,or maybe "changing the chemical compound of hydrogen and two parts of oxygen into a alcoholic beverage made by extracting the juices vine fruits and transmuting them by a process of viti culture and fermantation into an alcoholic beverage by micraclious means".:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I suspect that there is little or no chance of anybody with knowledge and experience getting these jobs. They will not want anybody that is likely to challenge the hierarchy or point out the likely incompetence and ineptitude of many of their superiors or, Shock horror, want to change how things are done.

Even if you have an impeccable CV and fit the criteria in the job spec candidates will be weeded out at the interview stage which will then be conducted in wholly subjective manner and will be chaired by one of the management team.

The technique will be to focus the interview on trying to catch you out with stuff you don't know and not what you can bring to the role. Expect lots of questions on health and safety, how good are your presentation and interpersonal skills for dealing with the public and lobby groups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Rosahane wrote: »
    I suspect that there is little or no chance of anybody with knowledge and experience getting these jobs.

With the money they are offering, anybody with knowledge and experience couldn't afford to take one of those jobs.

Talking with a fella I know who is a game warden last week and mentioned this to him and he told me only people who get these jobs are people who are known by other rangers. Friends or family members etc. So I won't be expecting a call off them

NOT surprising there at all DA.
    It's the usual who you know what what you know Irish way of doing things...Or "Well we just have to do this as a formality to satisfy the law,but shure your son/daughter,other relative has the job no bother.":rolleyes:
    No wonder this country is utterly screwed.

• Advertisement

DA beat me to it there. I'm betting a pound to a pinch of parrot sh*t that the job has already been decided, but that the necessary formality of putting the job application out to the public has to be seen to be done for legal porpoises.

Shame, eh?

tac

Is the application date over or did they by any chance extend it

Seeing as both myself and Eddie B both have extensive knowledge of trapping mink we should be just given the job. Do applicants have to be able to speak Irish?

Do the mink, in your experience, expect to be trapped in Irish?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

tac foley wrote: »
    Do the mink, in your experience, expect to be trapped in Irish?

tac

Absolutely brilliant reply :D

Seeing as both myself and Eddie B both have extensive knowledge of trapping mink we should be just given the job. Do applicants have to be able to speak Irish?

How? Trapping mink doesn't exactly make you qualified for the job unless the whole job itself is just trapping mink

Absolutely brilliant reply :D

Once upon a time in this country you had to be able to speak Irish I think to be in the civil service. This is what we call being sarcastic. I am of course open to being corrected.

How? Trapping mink doesn't exactly make you qualified for the job unless the whole job itself is just trapping mink

I kind of guessed that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Once upon a time in this country you had to be able to speak Irish I think to be in the civil service. This is what we call being sarcastic. I am of course open to being corrected.

Everything is not about you. I simply appreciated Tac's comeback to your comment as you'll note I quoted his & not yours..

• Advertisement

Tá mé tú, tú chréatúr olc, mar sin tá tú!

tac

Advertisement