Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to be a Ranger?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well lads, done the interview! They weren't very impressed with my voluntary work with Birdwatch Ireland, nor my Pine Marten Radio Tracking work with The Irish Wildlife Trust. Didn't even give a dalm about my Mink Trapping skills! But once i showed them my Condescending and belittling skills, their eye's lit up. Practically have it in the bag lads! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I have studied many hours of Waylon Smithers from The Simpsons,for tips and how to guide on toadying,sympering and being a general doormat..Should be no bother then this interview.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Has anybody heard anything back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Got my polite "please fuk off,you over qualified in the real world so and so" generic text from public jobs.ie today.:rolleyes:

I guess my walking on water,raising the dead ,and turning water into wine and back again,skills weren't enough for the job these days!:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got my polite "please fuk off,you over qualified in the real world so and so" generic text from public jobs.ie today.:rolleyes:

I guess my walking on water,raising the dead ,and turning water into wine and back again,skills weren't enough for the job these days!:P

As I posted before I was told off my local bailiff you need to know someone or be family of someone in it to get it. A lot of people who applied are probably still more experienced than the actual rangers out there
    Hard luck anyway. I also got the email last week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

As I posted before I was told off my local bailiff you need to know someone or be family of someone in it to get it. A lot of people who applied are probably still more experienced than the actual rangers out there
    Hard luck anyway. I also got the email last week

Congratulations on not getting a job that would have you going to a soup kitchen to keep yourself fed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

You get free work wear every two years.

You get free work wear every two years.

Ah well in that case yez missed out lads. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Grizzley, Would you not look for your score? and some feedback?
    If anything, it makes them nervous!! :)

If you ask me, you dodged a bullet. The ideal candidate will be someone who has no ingenuity and is happy never to take a chance on something that might better the system.

I applied, but never sent in the second ad-hoc update part, because that faffing around enlightened me what I'd be getting in to...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

These jobs are gone before the interview,they have to be seen to interview people to follow protocall,same happens for jobs for river baleiffs nothing has changed in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

blackpearl wrote: »
    These jobs are gone before the interview,they have to be seen to interview people to follow protocall,same happens for jobs for river baleiffs nothing has changed in this country.

Care to prove that hypothesis? And what is a river bailiff? Never seen that position advertised anywhere. You hold a narrow minded view of public sector recruitment and are using antiquated terminology in your comparisons.Your opinions are unsubstantiated. Have you given consideration to the fact that competition for jobs in this sector is extremely competitive I.e. Countless hundreds of highly educated candidates versus a handful of jobs?
    Easy to spin the old it's who you know spiel with little evidence to back it up in reality.

Would be rather embarrassing for those involved if it is true that...Yeah why not?A FOIA request might be a good start..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    Care to prove that ..............Easy to spin the old it's who you know spiel with little evidence to back it up in reality.

This maybe correct in relation to direct recruitment of new entrants into the public sector, but
    when it comes to internal appointments etc the 'old boy network' is still in play.
    Essential and desirable prerequisites are tailored for individuals or competitions are only advertised at the last moment.

Both myself and my wife as well as a good few family members have long term service in the public sector and to tell you the truth even in today's times of so called transparency nothing has changed that much.

Care to prove that hypothesis? And what is a river bailiff? Never seen that position advertised anywhere. You hold a narrow minded view of public sector recruitment and are using antiquated terminology in your comparisons.Your opinions are unsubstantiated. Have you given consideration to the fact that competition for jobs in this sector is extremely competitive I.e. Countless hundreds of highly educated candidates versus a handful of jobs?
    Easy to spin the old it's who you know spiel with little evidence to back it up in reality.

YES i will, and by the way it not speculation cause i was that man a few years back and let me tell you nothing has changed.

Went for a job a few years back as a bailiff or fisherie officer as it is known now,i was interviewed by head bailffs their were 3 of them 2 of them did not know their ass from their head, again its who you know the other one i could not fault he was one of the best. Now at the time i was one of the few quailfied fishing guides in the country got that when i was in Scotland and got another Irish qualified guide here in Ireland thats here nor their that was after the interview.

Now to the interview the other 2 lets call them the pretenders for now started asking me questions and i started answering them i started going on about the rivers in the area naming spawning streams and stuff about the coast line they just sat their with their mouths open for most of the time they had not a clue what i was talking about ,the other bailiff just sat their and smiled he new me and the knowlage i had about the area,as you can guess i did not get the job the 2 jobs went to to grand chaps i have to say ,but they had not got a clue i had to show one of them a spawing stream that the pretenders did not know about .

A few weeks after i met the lets say the real bailiff we went for a cup of tea he told me i had done a top class interview the other 2 boys were shaking their heads when i left the room they could not belive my knowalage of the local rivers i was fishing all these rivers with my dad since i was 4 and hunting along them in the winter so new them very well,the real bailiff then told me that that the 2 jobs where gone 2 weeks before i had done the interview their were people pulling ropes not strings for these people TDs even got involved ,now as it turned out after about 10 years the 2 boys got to grip with the bailiff job, but they got the jobs because of who they knew not because of what the knew ,and belive me nothing has changed and you who came on here spouting out of you with your big words you know i am right.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

blackpearl wrote: »
    YES i will, and by the way it not speculation cause i was that man a few years back and let me tell you nothing has changed.

Went for a job a few years back as a bailiff or fisherie officer as it is known now,i was interviewed by head bailffs their were 3 of them 2 of them did not know their ass from their head, again its who you know the other one i could not fault he was one of the best. Now at the time i was one of the few quailfied fishing guides in the country got that when i was in Scotland and got another Irish qualified guide here in Ireland thats here nor their that was after the interview.

Now to the interview the other 2 lets call them the pretenders for now started asking me questions and i started answering them i started going on about the rivers in the area naming spawning streams and stuff about the coast line they just sat their with their mouths open for most of the time they had not a clue what i was talking about ,the other bailiff just sat their and smiled he new me and the knowlage i had about the area,as you can guess i did not get the job the 2 jobs went to to grand chaps i have to say ,but they had not got a clue i had to show one of them a spawing stream that the pretenders did not know about .

A few weeks after i met the lets say the real bailiff we went for a cup of tea he told me i had done a top class interview the other 2 boys were shaking their heads when i left the room they could not belive my knowalage of the local rivers i was fishing all these rivers with my dad since i was 4 and hunting along them in the winter so new them very well,the real bailiff then told me that that the 2 jobs where gone 2 weeks before i had done the interview their were people pulling ropes not strings for these people TDs even got involved ,now as it turned out after about 10 years the 2 boys got to grip with the bailiff job, but they got the jobs because of who they knew not because of what the knew ,and belive me nothing has changed and you who came on here spouting out of you with your big words you know i am right.

My apologies for utilising big words. Perhaps your pygmy-esque vocabulary and grammatical bankruptcy were factors also considered by the interview panel when assessing your application. At least you have found solace in the "old it's who you know" excuse when coming to terms with not making the cut.

What would i except from a pig but a grunt.

My apologies for utilising big words. Perhaps your pygmy-esque vocabulary and grammatical bankruptcy were factors also considered by the interview panel when assessing your application. At least you have found solace in the "old it's who you know" excuse when coming to terms with not making the cut.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You are being fairly insulting when there is no need for it.

Anyway, I've a similar tale from my time interviewing for the public service (years ago). I applied for a pretty unique job within the public service. It's my belief that I was one of the few people in the state actually qualified to do the job. I didn't even get called for an interview. Several months later I happened to meet someone high up in that Department and they told me that the job was gone long before it was even advertised.

It was probably a coincidence that the job went to a family member of the top guy in the Department.

Advertisement