Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebase Fire Place

Options
  • 13-11-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I bought a shop display fireplace in the sales a couple of years ago. It arrived fully assembled with no company name or instructions.

The bulbs for the flame effect went recently, so disassembled it to replace them.

Unfortunately whoever assembled it screwed the screws so tight even my neighbour couldn't get them off.

What I have is a black box with heat coming out now. The whole warmth effect is gone and will have to replace the whole thing instead of the bulbs.

Any advice about consumer rights.

My cousin and friend have the exact same fireplace for years now and no problem replacing the bulbs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

display item - bought "as sold", so same rights do not apply.

Aldi did have a "Damaged Screw Remover Set" a couple of weeks ago for removing stubborn and broken screws. Maybe check it out

Main DIY stores and also Halfords have similar items, but the aldi one was a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Misread the post so ignore my initial reply if you saw it...

I would just look at getting the screws drilled out and replaced. Even if a "few" years is quite recent it is going to be quite hard to get any satisfaction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea.
    Drill out the screws, replace bulbs, replace screws with larger screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 c0deblu2th

L1011 wrote: »
    How many years is a couple? Was the installer supplied by or through Homebase or obtained separately

Bulbs are inherently consumable - but installation damage could lead to some resolution.

However, I'd just investigate getting the screws drilled out and replaced - clearly disconnected from any fuel source first.

About two and a half. As said my friend has hers almost ten years and my cousin around seven.

It was a homebase shop display coming fully assembled and ready to use. Whole unit is perfect apart from bulbs. The position of screws would make it impossible to drill and would need to pay for a professional when it should only cost a couple of euro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

c0deblu2th wrote: »
    About two and a half. As said my friend has hers almost ten years and my cousin around seven.

It was a homebase shop display coming fully assembled and ready to use. Whole unit is perfect apart from bulbs. The position of screws would make it impossible to drill and would need to pay for a professional when it should only cost a couple of euro.

What are you hoping home based will do, replace it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There used to be repair shops you could bring this sort of stuff to.

But with the nature of our consumerism and throw away culture these places have gone out of business.

Is there no one "handy" you know that might take a look at it for you.

You've no comeback with the store anyway, couldn't see an item like that having anything more than a 12 month warranty and you most likely got a discount for display model when purchasing.

Thanks for the replies. My neighbor is my handy man and he couldn't budge them.

Going to go to homebase and see what they suggest then get that item mentioned from aldi. Fingers crossed.

I saved for a very long time to get it and it's my pride and joy. Breaks my heart if I have to throw out for the sake of something that should be straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Thanks for the replies. My neighbor is my handy man and he couldn't budge them.

Going to go to homebase and see what they suggest then get that item mentioned from aldi. Fingers crossed.

I saved for a very long time to get it and it's my pride and joy. Breaks my heart if I have to throw out for the sake of something that should be straightforward.

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:
    • of merchantable quality
    • fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    • as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.
    • When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.
    Just because you bought it 'sold as', you still have the same contract with Home base. I would be insisting on them doing something about the matter and wouldn't rest until they do. Go in armed with your consumer rights and insist on them rectifying the matter. It's not your fault, why should you be at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Where does any of that apply to the OP?

They cant open they screws?

Also they have it 2.5years.

brembo26 wrote: »
    Where does any of that apply to the OP?

They cant open they screws?

Also they have it 2.5years.

Those are our consumer rights, which apply to the OP. They can't open the screws that Home-base personnel put in, not the OP. It's an entirely different matter if the OP put in the screws, but he says he didn't. It doesn't matter how long you have the item and this is where we go wrong a lot of the time. Just because they say 'you have 30 days to bring it back' doesn't mean that in 31 days when the item breaks you throw it away.

• Advertisement

Hi all, just back from homebase. Manager offered me similar at half price and I could keep my old one. Said that I had not that kind of money.

He disassembled the similar one in a few minutes to get to the bulbs so mine are definitely too tight.

He will send someone out to me with the special screwdrivers mentioned and if it happens to break they will be at fault and obliged to replace it. So here is hoping he can loosen them.

He said he would have had no problem replacing it, if I had receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Excellent reaction from homebase - new owners (bunnings) are known for their service levels in Australia.

Hi all, just back from homebase. Manager offered me similar at half price and I could keep my old one. Said that I had not that kind of money.

He disassembled the similar one in a few minutes to get to the bulbs so mine are definitely too tight.

He will send someone out to me with the special screwdrivers mentioned and if it happens to break they will be at fault and obliged to replace it. So here is hoping he can loosen them.

He said he would have had no problem replacing it, if I had receipt.

Excellent outcome :D Well done to Home Base

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

So did he manage to get the old screws out?

Not yet, probably be near end of week before I am around to let him in.

Advertisement