Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fridge not cooling.

• 13-11-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

Its actually a glass doored commercial milk fridge but a fridge is a fridge.

Electrics are fine because the fans are spinning. Temp dial is set correctly. I think I hear the compressor making a noise when I power off and on. Yet the fridge is not cooling and the radiator grille on the back does not get warm. The Fridge is about 15 years old.

Anything else I could try/test to help diagnose? Does it need refridgerent regassing or somesuch? Or is it likely uneconomical to repair?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Had a similar problem with one of those American type f/freezers. It was caused by a build up of frost/ice behind the plastic at the back of the fridge - which ironically is sold as 'frost-free'.
    The fix was a total defrosting, took over 24 hours and there was water everywhere. Fortunately I had a fridge in the shed to store stuff during the meanwhilst (Monty Python reference there, who will spot it??)

Anyway, that was a year ago and no problem since. I blame my wife for her tendency to leave the door open for long periods while she rearranges the contents.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Bit more googling indicates it could be as simple as a €20 set of relays needing replacing. Anyone know where to start looking online for Fridge compressor relays?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Quinnspares or Exparetise come to mind, but they might only stock spares for domestic appliances. No harm ringing them though.

Otherwise, you'd probably need to try companies that supply commercial appliances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

once the compressor is running that eliminates the starting relay, 100% sure it has a gas leak, rarely fixable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

once the compressor is running that eliminates the starting relay, 100% sure it has a gas leak, rarely fixable.

To confirm for sure whether Im hearing the compressor Ill have to unplug the coke fridge beside it because the fans and compressor on that are quite loud. If I cant hear anything or feel vibration indicating the compressor is coming on, removal and shaking of the relays should indicate if they are failed/rattling. Would that be the correct way to diagnose failed relays or failed compressor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

see if the compressor is warm, if it is it is most likely running. if you can determine that it isnt running but is cutting in/out its most likely it has a burned out winding. unless its quite old and has a wire wound relay that is sticking it should be clicking in/out trying to start. if the relay is solid state and not burned I have never seen them fail.you. see if you can tell if the compressor is running or not, it is pointless buying parts unless you can diagnose what is needed , let us know your findings.

Advertisement