Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about an older iPhone

Options
  • 13-11-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about recently buying an older iPhone from eBay or the like. I've always wanted a blue iPhone 5c (for some reason). But would it in reality be pointless buying now an iPhone 5 or 5c? I imagine that from next year neither will take iOS updates anymore. Then again.. I have read that iOS 10 has been a big improvement for older devices; freeing up space etc.

I posted a thread on here about a year ago asking about an 8GB iPhone 5c, as they were still on sale brand new then. Way too small I know. I'm only thinking about 32GB models now.

Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Can't see why not. My daughter is still using an old iPhone 5 of mine although the battery is not holding charge as well as it used to. It all depends on price. Re software upgrades, if the phone is performing as you want, upgrades do not matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pajor wrote: »
    I've been thinking about recently buying an older iPhone from eBay or the like. I've always wanted a blue iPhone 5c (for some reason). But would it in reality be pointless buying now an iPhone 5 or 5c? I imagine that from next year neither will take iOS updates anymore. Then again.. I have read that iOS 10 has been a big improvement for older devices; freeing up space etc.

I posted a thread on here about a year ago asking about an 8GB iPhone 5c, as they were still on sale brand new then. Way too small I know. I'm only thinking about 32GB models now.

Any help?

Why eBay? Are they much cheaper?
    They are on pigsback and mydealpage all the time for Circa €170ish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

kceire wrote: »
    Why eBay? Are they much cheaper?
    They are on pigsback and mydealpage all the time for Circa €170ish

Because I don't live in Ireland.

pajor wrote: »
    Because I don't live in Ireland.

Ohh right, just assumed as you were posting on an Irish based forum.

I'd buy a 5C over a 5 or 5S.

Edit : I'd buy the 5S. Was thinking of the SE for some reason.

Well I am Irish, so I'm half guilty. :pac:

I've been checking the Dutch equivalent of DoneDeal too (Marktplaats). Some good value there too from private sellers. I like the idea of buying from a company though, for some sort of come back if something goes wrong. A lot of Dutch refurbished iPhones are ridiculous prices. Better value from eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I bought a 4S when they were just about to stop selling them - got a very good deal on it for that reason - and I've been using it ever since. It has been perfectly satisfactory up to now. Battery life is fine.

It's just beginning to freeze slightly more often than I consider desirable, and I presume this is down to the fact that either it's not taking certain OS updates, or it's taking updates but they're not really optimised for the 4S. I'm beginning to think that maybe the time is coming when I'll need to upgrade. But I'll certainly look at doing the same thing again - i.e. buy the model that is about to become obsolete. It seems to me to give much better value than buying a newer model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If at all possible, would suggest a 5S rather than 5 / 5C. It has a great camera, and will possibly last a bit longer for you (IOS updates etc.)

I bought one second hand a few months ago from Amazon, and I still love it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Im using an old 3GS for a work phone and its working fine apart from not being able to update to the current OS. Camera is not great but the Battery life is very good and way better than an old 4S i have that is begining to croak..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Not a hope of choosing a 5C over a 5S. The 5S is far superior. In addition, a 5C with 8BG capacity is heartache in terms of poor storage space.

dodzy wrote: »
    Not a hope of choosing a 5C over a 5S. The 5S is far superior. In addition, a 5C with 8BG capacity is heartache in terms of poor storage space.

Sorry your right, I was getting mixed up with the SE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What about an SE?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn't recommend a 5/5C at this stage. It will probably lose support next year. It's fine to say "I don't care about the OS being to up to date" on Android, but iOS developers are quick to drop support. Also 8-16GB isn't enough storage and will force an upgrade within a year or two unless you only use the phone for calls and texts.

I say 5s minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Zcott wrote: »
    What about an SE?
    Obviously a better choice again, but price prohibitive. Almost double the price of a 5S.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

With the way Apple are pushing 64bit now, I wouldn't go with anything under a 5s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mad muffin wrote: »
    With the way Apple are pushing 64bit now, I wouldn't go with anything under a 5s.

Yeah that would be my thinking as well. 32-bit devices are numbered. Apple isn't even accepting 32-bit app updates anymore. Which is a shame as the 5 holds up pretty well otherwise, especially with RAM which is what usually renders older devices unusable, even before Apple drops support for them. Afaik the 5 actually has more useable RAM than the 5s and 6/6+ as 64-bit devices tend to use more memory to do the same tasks.

mad muffin wrote: »

Yeah thanks for this in particular. But a 5S is a bit out of my price range ATM. Unfortunately an iPhone for myself goes to the bottom of priorities list. :pac: Especially with Christmas coming.

Advertisement