Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating/Automation advice

• 13-11-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Following on from my post on the Netatmo thread and rather than derailing that further I will post my query here.

System is a warmflow whitebird oil fired boiler heating both the water and radiators using a simple flash immermat timer, there are two pumps attached although not separatley controlled.

I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that I will be able to split this so that I either heat the radiators or the water therefore making this a 2 zone system?

I know the Netatmo would allow me to still control this as is but would the Hive etc allow me to do what I want in splitting the two. Does the fact that it is two pumps and not two valves make a difference.

In my head this would seem a perfectly simple layout to achieve as I am only splitting the wiring to run the two pumps individually and therefore not wasting energy heating both at the same time.

I have attached images is this helps clarify.

Thanks for any help given :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest, I think you would be best asking this question over on the Heating and Plumbing forum, as it is really a plumbing question rather then purely a Home Automation question.

I also suspect it might be best to get one or two RGII's out to look at your setup and give you a quote on splitting hot water out into it's own zone.

Also don't forget the very generous grants SEAI are currently giving out for replacing boilers with more energy efficient models and also for creating multi-zoned home heating. This might give you a far superior setup.

In terms of smart controls. I believe Netamto will work with your current setup, however if you do manage to split the hot water off, then Netatmo won't be an option any more and you will need to look at Nest or Hive smart Thermostats which do support separate hot water zones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Thanks bk, did think it might be a more a plumbing question alright so will post it up there as well to get some feedback.

We have thought of replacing the boiler etc and may look at it again to see how the funds stack up.

I do see that the Netatmo will work ok so it is more about controlling the two serparatley and increasing the flexibilty of the system.

Advertisement