Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room through Airbnb and another one long term

Options
  • 13-11-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I have been renting a room long term since 2015 in my house and I have availed of the Rent-a-Room scheme for this year tax return.

I have a box room available I would like to start renting out through Airbnb.

Do you know if I can split the two income, one using the tax relief for long term accommodations and another one paying taxes on the one I rent through Airbnb?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Air bnb income doesn't count for rent a room so you'd have to pay tax on it.

However you could rent the box room out under rent a room as well. Just remember tax is liable on the full amount if you go one cent over the threshold, which is 12K increasing to 14K in January

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Air bnb income doesn't count for rent a room so you'd have to pay tax on it.

However you could rent the box room out under rent a room as well. Just remember tax is liable on the full amount if you go one cent over the threshold, which is 12K increasing to 14K in January

thanks for the answer. but maybe I haven't been clear in my question. so apologise for that.

I want to rent the box room through airbnb and obviously pay taxes on that income, but at the same time I want to rent the other bedroom long term and avail of the rent-a-room relief only for that specific income. is this possible?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Make sure the box room is covered under building and fire regs. Often features as storage on planning but rent it out as a bedroom is very diff.
    Just be sure.

Water John wrote: »
    Make sure the box room is covered under building and fire regs. Often features as storage on planning but rent it out as a bedroom is very diff.
    Just be sure.

thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out. But it is a proper bedroom, there is an ikea day bed at the moment and that can become a double size bed. so it is big enough, it is not a storage room converted to bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As far as I know you can't mix these tax schemes.

You also should consider your long term licensee, have you discussed this with them? From living with the owner to having frequent random strangers is a huge change.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    As far as I know you can't mix these tax schemes.

You also should consider your long term licensee, have you discussed this with them? From living with the owner to having frequent random strangers is a huge change.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Well, the important matter here is about taxes. with my licencees it is easier to deal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You asked this same question last year. You need the advice of a tax accountant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement