Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home alarm advice - wireless DIY

Options
  • 13-11-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for a reliable home alarm - 2 motion sensors, 2 door sensors, keypad and outdoor siren (phone connection would be an added plus). I live in a rented property hence the need for wireless option.

I was looking into Yale YEFKIT2 Easy Fit Telecommunication Alarm Kit. Seems a bit pricey but borderline affordable. Especially suitable since I can do the installation myself.

What do you guys think? Are there better options for around €200? Any advice is welcome. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You are not going to get anything decent on that budget.
    At a minimum you should be looking at covering all accessible points of entry with shock sensors & contacts and then one or 2 PiRs.
    Pirs alone are useless. They will only notify you after someone has broken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

KoolKid wrote: »
    You are not going to get anything decent on that budget.
    At a minimum you should be looking at covering all accessible points of entry with shock sensors & contacts and then one or 2 PiRs.
    Pirs alone are useless. They will only notify you after someone has broken in.

What about the YALE system? Will this not suit my needs?

Motion detectors and door open detector is all I need. I live in a rented apartment. If it was mine first I would get a metal frame reinforced door for safety, fireproof features and sound insulation. Unfortunately as I am only renting I need something to wake me up if someone enters when I am asleep and ideally a feature to get an alert via phone if there is an issue when I am away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I wouldn't recommend Yale for any system. Not all burglars come in the door.
    Where would you locate PiRs that would allow them on at night or when you are sleeping.
    Personally , if I am asleep I would prefer to be awoken before a burglar gains entry, not after!

I wouldn't recommend Yale for any system. Not all burglars come in the door.
    Where would you locate PiRs that would allow them on at night or when you are sleeping.
    Personally , if I am asleep I would prefer to be awoken before a burglar gains entry, not after!

Point taken. One motion detector set at the door with door open sensor would be enough for me. Why not Yale? I saw some posts on Boards not recommending Yale though don't know why. Seems easy to install and operate and does the job for basic system. Plus phone alert. Perfect.

If the PiR is at the door where is the keypad going that will allow you to disarm the system?
    Without saying anything defamatory , I'll just say I dont recommend Yale.
    Most other installers here will tell you the same.
    Why not spend the money on a decent wireless system.?
    You would still be able to easily take it with you.

• Advertisement

If the PiR is at the door where is the keypad going that will allow you to disarm the system?
    Without saying anything defamatory , I'll just say I dont recommend Yale.
    Most other installers here will tell you the same.
    Why not spend the money on a decent wireless system.?
    You would still be able to easily take it with you.

If I open the door I will have 5sec to disable the system (particular Yale model) otherwise the alarm would ring. Also, I can call and disable it that way without triggering anything.
    What wireless system would you recommend?

Would this be better in that case? Panasonic Smart Home KX-HN6011EW Safety Starter Kit Plus:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018GCY63A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A260UXMV9EFBM9
    Cheaper than the Yale one and has a camera. I also love the feature where I can get an additional motion sensor to light up a set light. Neat.

Would this be better in that case? Panasonic Smart Home KX-HN6011EW Safety Starter Kit Plus:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018GCY63A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A260UXMV9EFBM9
    Cheaper than the Yale one and has a camera. I also love the feature where I can get an additional motion sensor to light up a set light. Neat.

I would be recommending GSD, Risco, HKC, UTC or Visonic for wireless over any systems like that.

I would be recommending GSD, Risco, HKC, UTC or Visonic for wireless over any systems like that.

Thanks but that is way over my budget. I am sure they are fine systems but not what I need. As mentioned I have a budget of €200. I could even get by with motion sensor and alarm box if needed but I think it would be nicer to have a smarter alarm.

If it was my apartment I would rather invest in proper door to keep any intruder out in the first place lowering the cost and even need for any alarm system. Unfortunately it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

why not a secondhand HKC
    loads of them on adverts.ie

Ooops sorry just notice you want wireless
    May not be too many wireless secondhand sorry

imnorobot wrote: »
    why not a secondhand HKC
    loads of them on adverts.ie

Ooops sorry just notice you want wireless
    May not be too many wireless secondhand sorry

Would rather lose some functionality on new one, sorry. So far I cannot find anything from this list sub 300 never mind around 200.

You are not going to get anything decent for that budget.
    Even if you were to pick up a HKC Quantum or 1070 cheap second hand the devices are still going to be that or more.

You are not going to get anything decent for that budget.
    Even if you were to pick up a HKC Quantum or 1070 cheap second hand the devices are still going to be that or more.

That's crazy. Is it just me or are these systems overpriced for what they actually are? I get it security and safety is important but still. I suppose this market is mainly focused on home owners who already spent hundreds of thousands on their property and want peace of mind.

Can someone with experience with recent Yale wireless alarms tell me what are main reasons not to get one? I would really like to know why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I don't think you would find any professional in our industry recommending Yale wireless system's.

They seem to aim their products at the DIY market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

There's a Yale wireless over on the shooting for sale section,

Have a look around your estate, or any other for that matter, and see how many of these systems you will see. If they were that good for the money we would all be installing them.
    Why ask for advice here if you don't want to take it?

Have a look around your estate, or any other for that matter, and see how many of these systems you will see. If they were that good for the money we would all be installing them.
    Why ask for advice here if you don't want to take it?
    This is the type of answer I found in last posts here on boards.ie in relation to home alarm. Take it or leave it pretty much.
    I understand that there are way better and more reliable systems out there. I would like to know why not Yale though and so far I got no solid answer. My budget is 200, Yale kit fits just fine. Will it not do the job it advertises or does it lack specific features other systems offer?
    As for the comment why not so many Yale alarms - quantity does not equal quality. I don't see them around same way as I don't see many tenants putting in expensive alarm systems. I also see a lot of VW cars around while I know for a fact that inexpensive Mazda is just as good if not better.
    People's perception is a strong thing - that is why I am asking for few facts so I could base my decision on them and hopefully help others with similar question.

The fact is these DIY kits are not nearly as secure.
    They are aimed at the DIY market, so if they are that simple to install they are also that simple to disable, in many cases.
    They do not need to conform to the relevant standards so they may be missing many of the safeguards seen in other systems.
    There may not be the same levels of antitampering that would be present in other systems.
    I remember videos of some of these systems being jammed with a normal TV remote control and the likes.
    I could go on and on giving reasons not to use systems like these but, so far 2 professional installers have advised you against them.Sounds more like you are looking for reasons to install them rather than not to.
    I can go on forever listing the reasons not to.I can't think of any reason to though.
    Just giving you honest free advice. Up to you what you do with it.

• Advertisement

OP the simple answer here is, you get what you pay for.
    All the best, if you go with it, by all means come back to us here for any assistance you may require.

Thanks everyone. I will have a look into both but much more likely will purchase the Yale system. For my needs it is perfect. I spoke to few owners of the said alarm unit and they are all very happy and highly recommend it. Granted there are security issues as mentioned but given I am renting I am more than happy with it.
    On the other hand when I will buy my first property I will consider something much more secure - including proper door and windows all around.

A curious question?
    Why should your contents & families(if any) security be worth spending more money on based on whether you own the property or not.?

A curious question?
    Why should your contents & families(if any) security be worth spending more money on based on whether you own the property or not.?

The same can be said about buying used Vs new car, not investing in proper apartment door and worrying about alarm, not having car alarm and investing on car insurance extras and so on. Unfortunately we all manage different priorities and different budgets.

I rather have a solid door in my apartment instead of amazing alarm system. Solid door and basic alarm will allow time to react while basic door and amazing alarm will let the burglar in and even with Gardai on immediate notice might not make it within 5min in which I could be beaten, stabbed or worse. If I am not at home - I don't have much to worry about as I don't have expensive things anyway. House insurance would look after such.

I also don't expect sophisticated robbery as such thugs would check to make sure I have something valuable first which I don't. Any opportunists will see YALE alarm box as much as any other and might be discouraged. Solid door would do the trick just as well.

Solid wooden door is wonderful, but is the lock on the door secure? Does it have the UK Kite mark? Is it an anti snap barrell ?

Will the door start making noise if someone kicks it in?
    Will the door notify an alarm monitoring station of someone ones the door without having to use a key?
    What happens if you loose the key of the door and the key ends up in the wrong hands.

Proper Security is a combination of factors, be they physical doors/ windows, locks that comply with standards and electronic alarm systems should any of the physical or lock be bypassed.

So I hope your door is a super door

kub wrote: »
    Solid wooden door is wonderful, but is the lock on the door secure? Does it have the UK Kite mark? Is it an anti snap barrell ?

Will the door start making noise if someone kicks it in?
    Will the door notify an alarm monitoring station of someone ones the door without having to use a key?
    What happens if you loose the key of the door and the key ends up in the wrong hands.

Proper Security is a combination of factors, be they physical doors/ windows, locks that comply with standards and electronic alarm systems should any of the physical or lock be bypassed.

So I hope your door is a super door

I am not sure we are talking about the same door. What I meant is a door that from outside looks like any other but has metal frame inside and latches going up down and to side. Loosing key is not an option.

My point is there is never enough security but there is also nothing wrong with Yale alarm.

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    The same can be said about buying used Vs new car, not investing in proper apartment door and worrying about alarm, not having car alarm and investing on car insurance extras and so on. Unfortunately we all manage different priorities and different budgets.

I rather have a solid door in my apartment instead of amazing alarm system. Solid door and basic alarm will allow time to react while basic door and amazing alarm will let the burglar in and even with Gardai on immediate notice might not make it within 5min in which I could be beaten, stabbed or worse. If I am not at home - I don't have much to worry about as I don't have expensive things anyway. House insurance would look after such.

I also don't expect sophisticated robbery as such thugs would check to make sure I have something valuable first which I don't. Any opportunists will see YALE alarm box as much as any other and might be discouraged. Solid door would do the trick just as well.

Choice to buy or not is fine. Choice of how much, or how little is fine also.
    I was asking how whether you own the property or not should affect the decision on your security.
    The risk to family and possessions is still the same.
    The alarm will still the same job.

spr1nt3r wrote: »

My point is there is never enough security but there is also nothing wrong with Yale alarm.

There will always be reasons why most of these systems do not conform to the required standards.

KoolKid wrote:
    There will always be reasons why most of these systems do not conform to the required standards.

Hence professionals do not install Yale alarm systems.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I better start saving for a proper alarm so...

Advertisement