Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old UPC set top box

• 13-11-2016 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I found an old UPC box in my attic (from around 2009 iirc)

I just tried hooking it up hoping i might be able to use it in my bedroom.

The box powered on ans updated itself succesfully after about 5 mins.

It still has the old UPC interface and thr only channel that works is #100 Virgin Media Customer Channel :(

The guide shows all the programmes and TV shows but none of the channels work (Not even the free channels like RTE work on it)

Is there any hope of getting this working?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to pay for service to get anything on those boxes.

Unless you live in Cork there should be 16 analogue channels available on the same cable which are unencrypted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

L1011 wrote: »
    You need to pay for service to get anything on those boxes.

Unless you live in Cork there should be 16 analogue channels available on the same cable which are unencrypted.

Sorry I should have said I currently have service with Virgin Media (who were previously UPC) so my service is switched on alright.

I guess the card that goes into the set box has probably expired :(

I just dont really fancy paying €11 a month to get another box from Virgin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, you need to pay per box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It probably took 5 minutes to boot up because it was downloading a s/w refresh. Every UPC/VM box has either a subscriber card or the box (e.g. Horizon) identifies itself with a unique (hardwired) id and unless the network recognises it you will get no service.

Advertisement