Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr. Liam McClarey, Corduff - Joyriders

Options
  • 13-11-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen this anywhere and I thought it warranted it's own thread.

Normally I would have zero time for the Catholic church however a few weeks ago I met Liam McClarey, a priest in the Corduff parish. A genuinely nice man who has a big interest in sport, especially GAA and horse racing.

I read this article today about how he is after being seriously injured in an incident involving joy riders. He was on his way home last Tuesday about 11.30pm after visiting elderly residents when his Volkswagen Golf was rammed from behind by joy riders driving a stolen Honda.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/news/7260517/Miracle-escape-as-Irish-priest-survives-after-teen-joyriders-ram-his-car.html

Here's hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery!

From asking people who are from the area, all say that you could not find a more hard working man who works 24/7 for the area.

I may have my head in the sand when it comes to this issue but is joy riding a big problem up around certain parts of Dublin 15? I honestly, and probably naively, thought that the issue of stolen cars for joy riding had died down alot over the past number of years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

He’s a gentleman, been around corduff for years (was a teacher in Riversdale and helped with the Gaelic teams) then went away for a while and came back.

The usual few bad apples, also this week a few decided to throw bricks through bus windows. One or two clowns get bored, do stuff like this and then sure it’s a bad area etc. When it’s generally not, more good than bad (34 years living here)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A genuinely nice man who has a big interest in sport, especially GAA and horse racing.

Only a month ago, he turned up to my girlfriends grandmothers wake in a Derry GAA jacket! Lucky I didn't know he was into his horse racing, he'd have never got away from me that evening! :D

Hopefully a speedy recovery, seemed like an absolute gentlemen and well resepcted in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

jeffk wrote: »
    . One or two clowns get bored, do stuff like this and then sure it’s a bad area etc. When it’s generally not, more good than bad (34 years living here)

It's not boredom though, there's an ample amount of services and facilities in Dublin 15, more so than most other communities, there's just a small but disruptive number of teens in Corduff who are utter imbeciles with parents as equally stupid and until they get some sense kicked into them incidents like this will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Really unfortunate to hear as he genuinely is a lovely man, was super supportive for myself and the missus while we suffered a miscarriage I can only wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

As for the scrotes - it's the same individuals over and over again, the same eejits who don't learn seeing as one in particular just got a sheer MONTH behind bars. They all have this "hardman" mentality but realistically they're a pack of little wimps. Sooner or later they're going to do it to the wrong person and they'll learn. I myself have had numerous run ins with the same fools trying to break into my car/cars in the area, hand them a hiding, only for them to try it again in a few months.

You really can't combat that level of stupidity with any sort of community amenities or facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

It's not boredom though, there's an ample amount of services and facilities in Dublin 15, more so than most other communities, there's just a small but disruptive number of teens in Corduff who are utter imbeciles with parents as equally stupid and until they get some sense kicked into them incidents like this will continue.

Boredom to them, you cant rationalize with stupidity, you'll get some excuse back no matter how many times you tell them there's cinema,shops,aqua center,sporting pitches,leisure plex etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

This is before the children's court now.

http://www.thejournal.ie/joyrider-devastated-community-3305672-Mar2017

So many peoples lives destroyed because of an utter waste of space.
    And long it will continue without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

This is before the children's court now.

http://www.thejournal.ie/joyrider-devastated-community-3305672-Mar2017

So many peoples lives destroyed because of an utter waste of space.
    And long it will continue without a doubt.

So he was out on bail....but had no previous convictions ? :confused:

dodzy wrote: »
    So he was out on bail....but had no previous convictions ? :confused:

He must have been on remand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remand_(detention)

Considered a danger to the public at high risk of reoffending. A decision that was proven correct after it was overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Passenger in the stolen car let go free and only to be supervised for 9 months:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/teenager-in-joyride-crash-that-seriously-injured-priest-avoids-jail-35970780.html

He did appear to get a stern talking to by the judge.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/suspended-sentence-for-teen-car-thief-who-crashed-into-priest-36320459.html

Suspended sentence and a driving ban, even though he had been previously caught driving without a licence.

Total waste of time, I feel for the Gardai.
    They must wonder why they bother going to court at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement