Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil slick on road caused crash

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Funny thing: during the Celtic Tiger years the roads were in more or less perfect nick - it had been the case that as soon as you crossed the border northwards, you'd notice how much better the roads were, but this completely changed.

It was only days into the crash that I saw my first potholes, and they marched in with the invading austerity in force, and have stayed ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Chuchote wrote: »
    Funny thing: during the Celtic Tiger years the roads were in more or less perfect nick - it had been the case that as soon as you crossed the border northwards, you'd notice how much better the roads were, but this completely changed.

It was only days into the crash that I saw my first potholes, and they marched in with the invading austerity in force, and have stayed ever since.

Were the potholes massing on the borders, waiting for their opportunity to sneak in and ruin our lives while we were preoccupied with the economic mess? Maybe Nigel Farage is really a closet cyclist and Brexit really = "Broken Roads Exit" (which would make him an especially sneaky prat rather than an averagely sneaky prat).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Actually, isn't this precisely where CI insurance comes in or does it only cover personal injury?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doozerie wrote: »
    Were the potholes massing on the borders, waiting for their opportunity to sneak in and ruin our lives while we were preoccupied with the economic mess? Maybe Nigel Farage is really a closet cyclist and Brexit really = "Broken Roads Exit" (which would make him an especially sneaky prat rather than an averagely sneaky prat).
    no, it was a cross border pothole smuggling operation. crooked politicians used to have the potholes smuggled into the north to get rid of them, but can't afford to any more.

no, it was a cross border pothole smuggling operation. crooked politicians used to have the potholes smuggled into the north to get rid of them, but can't afford to any more.

Good point. It got a lot more expensive when the crafty Paddy's started cutting the potholes in half and instantly doubling the costs when their customers had to buy two potholes for every one previously.

• Advertisement

Re the original post, I'm surprised at the strength of some of the vitriolic responses. The OP came a cropper and felt aggrieved, it's human nature to look for some kind of fairness out of it all, of whatever form. I would agree that the council isn't responsible as such, but I don't think the OP deserves some of the strong criticism for just raising the question.

I've often wondered myself what responsibility a council does have, if any, when it comes to road conditions. My (very limited) understanding is that culpability on their part only applies where they have been made aware of a problem on a road, made an attempt to remedy it, but the "fix" left it in a dangerous state. I wouldn't want to be the one trying to figure out the black from the white from the grey in all of that.

What happens if the council doesn't grit any, or just some, roads on an icy morning for example? Or don't repair malfunctioning traffic lights? Or, more immediately interesting to me, don't do anything about sensor-operated traffic lights that don't react to bicycles? Etc. Purely academic questions, but the answers would interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

doozerie wrote: »

According to top-secret State documents the Real IRA insisted that we should have proper traditional Real Irish Roads, and raced the potholes over the Border in an unusual instance of a silent spectacular.

Advertisement